• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shohei Ohtani

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It worked for him in japan. If it works here he’s a lot more valuable. I see your point, but I still think Maddon would entertain the idea. Otani would have to be really good at both. I could see him having a role where he pitches out of the outfield. I think he makes a much more intriguing reliever than starter if he were going to both field and pitch.

I absolutely think that Maddon would entertain the idea. But like I said, I don't think it will be his decision to make anyway. Will the front office entertain the idea? I think they might, but I also think it's easy to believe that they wouldn't.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely think that Maddon would entertain the idea. But like I said, I don't think it will be his decision to make anyway. Will the front office entertain the idea? I think they might, but I also think it's easy to believe that they wouldn't.
He’s cheap. If they were paying him 15-25 million a year, I’d agree. At what they are paying, it’s worth the risk. He can always recover from injury and focus on one.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if this guy commits to the US and is put in the outfield, he's not going to pursue his pitching because, he just won't. He may want to. But if he doesn't pitch after he reached Double-A or even AAA, he is going to lose that edge. There are 249 pitchers in MLB right now who are already good enough to be better than a prospect who has lost his edge. The Cubs or another team are not going to bring a guy into the game who isn't as good as the other 248 guys out there. If this kid isn't going to keep honing his craft, he's another outfielder who used to pitch. If he keeps pitching to stay at the top level, big league pitchers are gonna eat him alive.
We keep hearing as if this guy is some kind of superhuman athlete who can be an ace on the mound and at the plate. As I said earlier, only 1 guy in history that we know of was that good, and he had to choose.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if this guy commits to the US and is put in the outfield, he's not going to pursue his pitching because, he just won't. He may want to. But if he doesn't pitch after he reached Double-A or even AAA, he is going to lose that edge. There are 249 pitchers in MLB right now who are already good enough to be better than a prospect who has lost his edge. The Cubs or another team are not going to bring a guy into the game who isn't as good as the other 248 guys out there. If this kid isn't going to keep honing his craft, he's another outfielder who used to pitch. If he keeps pitching to stay at the top level, big league pitchers are gonna eat him alive.
We keep hearing as if this guy is some kind of superhuman athlete who can be an ace on the mound and at the plate. As I said earlier, only 1 guy in history that we know of was that good, and he had to choose.

I 100% agree with this. Japan is a great league don't get me wrong, but MLB brings a lot of talent to the table (from all areas) and requires an intensive dedication to the craft at either art to succeed. I see him potentially like a better version of Rick Ankiel (who granted got the pitching yips).

Ankiel started out as a great pitcher (almost ROY) but just was too nervous and let the mental game get to him (think he was drinking vodka before every game). He came back and actually put together a decent career as an outfielder but it took him 5 years back in the minors doing so.

I just don't see how a guy could be good at both once batters and other pitchers start to figure him out. He could be a decent threat on an NL team for 30 games out of the year considering he definitely can hit, but again, if you don't keep up with the craft, tempo, etc. it's going to suffer. It's why most guys outside of the FEW elite have to spend some time back in the minors ramping up after a minor DL visit just to get back into rhythm.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying this is or isn't relevant but the conversation about Otani and the Cubs is based on what Maddon would do. Maddon is the manager, not Mount Rushmore. He didn't sign a lifetime contract to manage the team.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck on the Angels, Ohtani. And by good luck, I mean you made a shit choice.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting choice. He'll fit right into the rotation, question is position if they are willing to do that. Outfield right now for the Angels is Calhoun, Trout, and Upton with DH being Pujols. Calhoun seems to be the only guy there who could take a reduced role.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of a worse team he could've joined.

I guess the Marlins? Guess he has his reasons but man that's disappointing.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to think of a worse team he could've joined.

I guess the Marlins? Guess he has his reasons but man that's disappointing.

FRom what I last heard, he was choosing between the Cubs, Giants, Dodgers, Padres, Mariners and Angles. He could've joined the Padres lol.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FRom what I last heard, he was choosing between the Cubs, Giants, Dodgers, Padres, Mariners and Angles. He could've joined the Padres lol.
With everything that has leaked about what he was looking for, the Padres actually looked the best fit, imho. A lot of question marks around the Angels.

Good off-season for the Halos so far. They landed both Ohtani and Maitan.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres are marginally worse than the Angels as is, have a pretty stacked farm, some youngsters already on the roster showing promise (Perdomo, Lamet). They suck at hitting right now but by 2019 maybe they won't.

The Angels, meanwhile, have Trout, Andrelton, and then...? Their starters are unreliable and injury-prone, their BP was crap down the stretch, their farm is as barren as the Mojave (Maitan isn't near ready and their 2017 picks aren't either). What's the plan here? Sign a shit-ton of FA's and hope that they work out? How many times have they done that and how many times has it worked out?

Ohtani would've had a chance to create some buzz on a team with low expectations in SD as he figures out MLB and then been a part of a young, exciting team from 19 on (although, no DH which I'm certain played a huge part in all of this).

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Padres are marginally worse than the Angels as is, have a pretty stacked farm, some youngsters already on the roster showing promise (Perdomo, Lamet). They suck at hitting right now but by 2019 maybe they won't.

The Angels, meanwhile, have Trout, Andrelton, and then...? Their starters are unreliable and injury-prone, their BP was crap down the stretch, their farm is as barren as the Mojave (Maitan isn't near ready and their 2017 picks aren't either). What's the plan here? Sign a shit-ton of FA's and hope that they work out? How many times have they done that and how many times has it worked out?

Ohtani would've had a chance to create some buzz on a team with low expectations in SD as he figures out MLB and then been a part of a young, exciting team from 19 on (although, no DH which I'm certain played a huge part in all of this).
They do have Upton too now.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With everything that has leaked about what he was looking for, the Padres actually looked the best fit, imho. A lot of question marks around the Angels.

Good off-season for the Halos so far. They landed both Ohtani and Maitan.

And re-signed Upton. It would be nice to see Trout in the playoffs for a change

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NY butthurt is pretty great.

december-4-2017-chicken.jpg

read the comments:
Yankees not invited to Shohei Ohtani presentation, officially out of running

Cashman confirms Shohei Ohtani will not sign with Yankees - River Avenue Blues

(don't get me wrong though, these are great blogs especially if you're a Yankees fan)
Newspapers in NY are a joke, which is saying something because ALL papers are now a joke