• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Sharks Vs Blues

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best news for the Sharks is Nieto got hurt before the series started ;)

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other guy who deserves some love is dougie. I mean, he found karlsson and donkey as free agents, and both are highly contributing players here. Zubris has been a solid pleasant surprise as well. Adding top 9 forwards "for free" is not easy, so you gotta tip the hat to dougie and his staff for fleshing out the forward group with good value. he also obviously did well hiring deboer, signing martin and ward, trading for jones, and being patient with the youth and not trading the vets. he pulled some good strings, took some pretty big risks, and it's paid off nicely for him so far. Gotta tip your hat there...

Beautifully said!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other guy who deserves some love is dougie. I mean, he found karlsson and donkey as free agents, and both are highly contributing players here. Zubris has been a solid pleasant surprise as well. Adding top 9 forwards "for free" is not easy, so you gotta tip the hat to dougie and his staff for fleshing out the forward group with good value. he also obviously did well hiring deboer, signing martin and ward, trading for jones, and being patient with the youth and not trading the vets. he pulled some good strings, took some pretty big risks, and it's paid off nicely for him so far. Gotta tip your hat there...

DeBoer did take an average overachieving Devils team to the Stanley Cup final so there is history that he could be a decent coach when hired. He got a bad break when Parise went to Minnesota and Kovalchuk decided to go back to the KHL and the cupboard became quite bare in New Jersey. Not his fault there. No talent nothing he could do. Coaches on their second job are sometimes are better for it. Ask Bill Bellichek who flamed out in Cleveland before being a legend in New England.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
DeBoer did take an average overachieving Devils team to the Stanley Cup final so there is history that he could be a decent coach when hired. He got a bad break when Parise went to Minnesota and Kovalchuk decided to go back to the KHL and the cupboard became quite bare in New Jersey. Not his fault there. No talent nothing he could do. Coaches on their second job are sometimes are better for it. Ask Bill Bellichek who flamed out in Cleveland before being a legend in New England.

I agree about NJ that year, and I dont see SJ as ever lacking the talent like the devils and panthers that he coached. Even in a year or two when jumbo and patty are done, the sharks will have way more talent than virtually any of those previous deboer teams. I mean, even without the big two, the sharks have a forward lineup with alot of good players and with what will be 20+M in cap space to add, not to mention a few guys in the system with high ceilings like Meier and Goldobin, as well as lebanc, halewka, and some others. Dougie has positioned the team well going forward, and I expect he will replace the big two when the time comes and there shouldnt be a giant drop off.

You gotta judge a captain and a coach in terms of getting the most out of what you have. The sharks, on paper, are not as good as several other teams in the league. they arent bad, but not that good either. However, Deboer has done very well getting the most out of guys like tierney, karlsson, donkey, and even Ward, Hertl and all 6 D. Nieto and Wingels have been a little disappointing, but both are still working hard, and deboer has them both instilled with confidence and contributing nicely. I love how he has handled both the young guys and the vets. He isnt too tough on the kids and gets them to play with confidence, and he doesnt over tax the vets with overly big minutes. he has maximized the return on his players, and that's all you can ask for. pavs has done the same with the C.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Beautifully said!

thanks dbave! I will admit that while I have been a big dougie supporter for nearly all of his tenure(certainly the first 10+ years), the last two-three years left me with pretty major doubts. I didnt like the jones deal. I didnt like that he kept the big two for their decline instead of wrangling good value out of them for the future transition. I hated the big money and term to dillon, and while I was OK with the Polak deal, there were other guys I would much rather have gotten and the two 2nd rounders was an overpay. I didn't like his dealing of demers for dillon, a 3rd for tye mcginn, the terrible signings of brown, scott, and most of all burish. (i liked the torres deal even though it didnt work) Going further back, there were several others as well.

There was a laundry list of moves that I was not a fan of in the last few seasons and I thought dougie had really hurt the team. Well, I enjoy my blackbird dinner there, because the signings of ward, martin, and jones all look like nothing short of genius right now, and deboer has looked like the perfect man for the job as well. Dougie obviously pulled the right strings this past offseason, so you gotta give credit when it's due.

Also, the farm looks respectable with halewka and meier playing real well in the memorial cup, and several other guys looking solid too. Dougie has really kept to his work in taking "one step back to go two steps forward." he has taken a ton of flak the past couple years and stuck to his plan well. No one is questioning his job security now.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While there is no proof, I still think the additional 2nd in the Polak deal was prepayment to take Reimer off the market until the San Jose NHL and AHL organizations were in a position to set their roster and so neither would be short a goalie for any games.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
While there is no proof, I still think the additional 2nd in the Polak deal was prepayment to take Reimer off the market until the San Jose NHL and AHL organizations were in a position to set their roster and so neither would be short a goalie for any games.
So is Reimer resigning lol

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So is Reimer resigning lol

I have to think he's looking to go somewhere where he will be the #1 guy in net. He's be a pricey 1b option and probably more than the Sharks would be willing to spend on goalies.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I now have more confidence in the Sharks than Warriors at this point in the season. Never thought I would say that.

Thread bump :( Steph Curry doing a Patrick Marleau immitation.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Sharks, time to make some history tonight by punching a ticket to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A repeat performance tonight of game 7 against Nashville would be nice.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A repeat performance tonight of game 7 against Nashville would be nice.

That would be great, but hopefully they can just at least play close to that level and get the job done!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This dude is unbelievable

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really smart break out of the zone by Thornton and great second effort by Pavelski. They are moving their feet so far tonight.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really smart break out of the zone by Thornton and great second effort by Pavelski. They are moving their feet so far tonight.

Donkey, Cooch and Patty are right on the cusp of a goal right now. Flying every shift.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can't believe I get watch a team playing for championship that I've followed since their inception, even went to a few games at the cow palace.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I brought this up in the Nashville thread, no more fire Wilson chants. Look how long the younger/new core is locked up and how young they still are and how cheap they are. Also you need to add Hasso Plattner as well for not meddling with the team and let his hockey people do thier jobs