• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sharapova suspended for 2 years

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure if it were Serena you will say the same thing. Hypocrite.

Serena has won a lot and also displayed mysterious illnesses, so the charges would be pretty legitimate. So yes a two or three year ban would be sufficient.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serena has won a lot and also displayed mysterious illnesses, so the charges would be pretty legitimate. So yes a two or three year ban would be sufficient.

As usual, you are insane.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's better than your blow-up doll of Hillary Clinton.

Naah. I support Hillary with facts and O have known the Clintons since they were in Arkansas. For you , you do not personally know Sharapova from Adam and you are not a a tennis fan or ever played one. Your interest in her is obvious.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING: Maria Sharapova's suspension has been reduced by Court of Arbitration for Sport by 9 months. Can play again in April.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kerber just is not a big enough presence. Serena has lost a step. Womens tennis needs another name and this makes Maria able to play the French this year. Otherwise she would have missed that though next year. First time drug suspensions should never be more than 6 months. 2nd time or more than sure lower the hammer.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharapova took to Facebook blaming the ITF for not informing her well enough that the drug she was taking was banned.

I'm pretty sure she has access to a phone, which she could use to call the 24 hour number available to every athlete for banned substances.

I'm pretty sure she has access to the internet, which she could use to look at the list of current banned substances.

It's not like WADA hides it all under lock and key. They BEG athletes to keep up to date with current banned substances, and to always check before putting any drug in their bodies.

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I'm on the fence whether or not the drugs should be banned to begin with, but I have a hard time buying the notion that she "didn't know", so any suspension she gets is karma.

Too bad, she seems like a classy gal.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
women's tennis needs another star, but I like having a different woman winning every major. It adds a little variation.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Sharapova back in the mix.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose I'm on the fence whether or not the drugs should be banned to begin with, but I have a hard time buying the notion that she "didn't know", so any suspension she gets is karma.

Too bad, she seems like a classy gal.
it's her and every tennis player's responsibility to make sure anything they put in their bodies isn't on the WADA list of banned substances.

whether it was intentional has nothing to do with it.

it takes 5 seconds to find the list online (Welcome to the List | Wada Prohibited List), and they're all given a phone number they can call 24/7 to make sure they're not taking a banned substance.

it would be one thing if it were asking a lot of players. it isn't. it's basic accountability that applies to all pro tennis players.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's her and every tennis player's responsibility to make sure anything they put in their bodies isn't on the WADA list of banned substances.

whether it was intentional has nothing to do with it.

it takes 5 seconds to find the list online (Welcome to the List | Wada Prohibited List), and they're all given a phone number they can call 24/7 to make sure they're not taking a banned substance.

it would be one thing if it were asking a lot of players. it isn't. it's basic accountability that applies to all pro tennis players.
but this happens across ALL sports, so I have a hard time believing it is 100% the athletes' faults. Maybe it is the product for not being transparent, but somewhere the ball is being dropped.

I have a hard time believing they all cheat willingly when they know how easy it is to get caught.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but this happens across ALL sports, so I have a hard time believing it is 100% the athletes' faults. Maybe it is the product for not being transparent, but somewhere the ball is being dropped.

I have a hard time believing they all cheat willingly when they know how easy it is to get caught.

I don't think Sharapova was trying to get away with anything, but it's her responsibility at all times to know if anything she's putting in her body is on the banned list. The ITF and WADA beg athletes to keep up to date at all times (there's an online list, and phone number to call 24/7), and Sharapova knows as well as anybody that the list changes constantly.

It has nothing to do with intentions.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Sharapova was trying to get away with anything, but it's her responsibility at all times to know if anything she's putting in her body is on the banned list. The ITF and WADA beg athletes to keep up to date at all times (there's an online list, and phone number to call 24/7), and Sharapova knows as well as anybody that the list changes constantly.

It has nothing to do with intentions.

In her case, she has so many irons in the fire that it is possible she just did not have time to check. Most tennis players are just tennis players. They practice and play tournaments. Sharapova has all kinds of business interests and modeling/appearance gigs to do.

Still, someone on her team should have checked.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In her case, she has so many irons in the fire that it is possible she just did not have time to check. Most tennis players are just tennis players. They practice and play tournaments. Sharapova has all kinds of business interests and modeling/appearance gigs to do.
All valid excuses...for forgetting to pick up an ingredient for tonight's dinner at the store.

I don't think it's too much to ask any athlete to take "the time" to make sure they're not taking a banned substance when the ITF and WADA do everything short of tattooing them with the list to make it accessible.

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All valid excuses...for forgetting to pick up an ingredient for tonight's dinner at the store.

I don't think it's too much to ask any athlete to take "the time" to make sure they're not taking a banned substance when the ITF and WADA do everything short of tattooing them with the list to make it accessible.
I can't really argue with you, she's a pro and she was at best careless, at worst cheating.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't think it is her personally who goes and picks what goes into her body. I am sure she has nutrition coaches and all that who tell her "take this, take that, yes it's safe."

Someone fucked up.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should have punished her by making her play naked for 2 years.

She'd probably start getting saggy and wrinkly after that.

wait, she hasn't already been doing this?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with the reduced ban time. I really don't think Sharapova knew that what she was taking had been added to the list. That doesn't change the fact that it's her responsibility (and that of all athletes) to make sure she's not taking a banned substance. All things considered, the time she'll end up serving with the ban seems about right to me.

That's why there's an appeals process in place, and it worked out for the best, IMO. It just irks me a little that she's still blaming the ITF to any degree. They are very clear with all athletes about the WADA list, and the consequences of doping, whether it's intentional or not.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with the reduced ban time. I really don't think Sharapova knew that what she was taking had been added to the list. That doesn't change the fact that it's her responsibility (and that of all athletes) to make sure she's not taking a banned substance. All things considered, the time she'll end up serving with the ban seems about right to me.

That's why there's an appeals process in place, and it worked out for the best, IMO. It just irks me a little that she's still blaming the ITF to any degree. They are very clear with all athletes about the WADA list, and the consequences of doping, whether it's intentional or not.

I think the players lash out because they are irked about all the stupid shit that is actually on the list. Its nonsense. Cold medicine, allergy pills, etc... and many normal OTC medicines. I dont blame them. I would be banned in a second.