• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan Officially Named Head Coach

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch bothers me as well. That hire was a real head scratcher. Why put an amateur in charge? I don't get that at all.

At first was was a little confused by the hire, but I have some more faith with some of the pieces that Lynch has placed around him. He's smart and a guy players can get behind. AGAIN...we'll need patience as we'll really know nothing until the gears start turning for the draft and FA...even then it's going to take time to see positive results really.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i guess thats the trade off? Get an experienced GM but who is "set in his ways". Get an inexperienced guy but who is good at getting people together.

Like all of us, we don't know if Lynch works out and on paper, likely not. But at this point we might as well be positive, positive that everyone working together beats one guy at the top.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess thats the trade off? Get an experienced GM but who is "set in his ways". Get an inexperienced guy but who is good at getting people together.

Like all of us, we don't know if Lynch works out and on paper, likely not. But at this point we might as well be positive, positive that everyone working together beats one guy at the top.

Yeap that's exactly right. Right now anything far removed from the last 4 or so years in terms of FO and HC turmoil is for now at least a fresh breath of air.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeap that's exactly right. Right now anything far removed from the last 4 or so years in terms of FO and HC turmoil is for now at least a fresh breath of air.

I could not agree more. Just getting rid of Baalke was a start. It's a fresh start and I like it. It was long overdue that Baalke was gone. Like you mentioned, we all have to be patient. This is a rebuilding process.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not agree more. Just getting rid of Baalke was a start. It's a fresh start and I like it. It was long overdue that Baalke was gone. Like you mentioned, we all have to be patient. This is a rebuilding process.

Baalke's issues were much more than even I imagined a couple of years ago. Besides his inability to find players, he seemed inable to work with others. He also feuded with Chip Kelly. Baalke seemed unable to communicate and work with people. He also appeared stubborn and unable to change his ways. I think he was a good part of the FO dysfunction. I initially blamed the York's for Tomsula because of what was reported by Bleacher Report and Tim Kawakami but Gase himself disputed much of that story and it appears Baalke had a much bigger hand in that hire.

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke's issues were much more than even I imagined a couple of years ago. Besides his inability to find players, he seemed inable to work with others. He also feuded with Chip Kelly. Baalke seemed unable to communicate and work with people. He also appeared stubborn and unable to change his ways. I think he was a good part of the FO dysfunction. I initially blamed the York's for Tomsula because of what was reported by Bleacher Report and Tim Kawakami but Gase himself disputed much of that story and it appears Baalke had a much bigger hand in that hire.

The last two years with different coaches have been a total waste. Just imagine if Baalke would have been fired after the 2014 season. Even if Jed decided to let Harbaugh go, Niners would at least be in a better position today. Two unproductive years that Niners will never get back.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last two years with different coaches have been a total waste. Just imagine if Baalke would have been fired after the 2014 season. Even if Jed decided to let Harbaugh go, Niners would at least be in a better position today. Two unproductive years that Niners will never get back.

Yes, seeing this roster depleted the past couple of years set us back. Baalke should have at least been fired at the end of last year when Tomsula was fired.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only this was true. I would be psyched if Fangio was coming back to SF.

http://www.************.com/articles/103661-barrows-speculates-robert-salehs-future-49ers/

AU_Fever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anxious to see how Lynch and Peters evaluate draft prospects at the combine. I know Lynch wants a defense that is fast and physical. I wouldn't mind if they focus on defense this year and maybe get a QB in the 2018 draft. Get a pass rusher and ILB. Need to really improve run defense and hope the defense ranks at least in the middle of the pack. That would be a tremendous improvement.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm anxious to see how Lynch and Peters evaluate draft prospects at the combine. I know Lynch wants a defense that is fast and physical. I wouldn't mind if they focus on defense this year and maybe get a QB in the 2018 draft. Get a pass rusher and ILB. Need to really improve run defense and hope the defense ranks at least in the middle of the pack. That would be a tremendous improvement.

i'd definitely be ok with this too, clearly the LB corps is pretty bad. we need the best talent on the board and if it starts on defense, do it.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Shanahan did not hire an assistant to serve under the title of offensive coordinator. Instead, he will assume those duties with the 49ers while also overseeing the entire operation as head coach. Shanahan has been an NFL offensive coordinator for eight seasons, including the past two under Quinn with the Falcons.

“He is one of the few coaches who has a full understanding – run game, offensive line, quarterback play, receiver play,” Quinn said of Shanahan. “You could put him into any spot on the offense, and he’ll be able to coach that position. That’s a rare trait. There are some guys who are sto strong in one area. It might be in the run game or so strong in the pass game. But he has a really clear understanding how to do the whole thing.

Obviously, it is great he has a full undertanding, just hope he doesn't try to take on too much? He doesn't need to have an OC per se, but seems like others should take on specific 'tasks' during games? I don't know what exactly he'd pawn off or have someone in his ear, but i'll throw out situational plays on offense, small injuries to offensive players, replays, time management, etc. He can't be aware of every single thing during a game, can he?

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan did not hire an assistant to serve under the title of offensive coordinator. Instead, he will assume those duties with the 49ers while also overseeing the entire operation as head coach. Shanahan has been an NFL offensive coordinator for eight seasons, including the past two under Quinn with the Falcons.

“He is one of the few coaches who has a full understanding – run game, offensive line, quarterback play, receiver play,” Quinn said of Shanahan. “You could put him into any spot on the offense, and he’ll be able to coach that position. That’s a rare trait. There are some guys who are sto strong in one area. It might be in the run game or so strong in the pass game. But he has a really clear understanding how to do the whole thing.

Obviously, it is great he has a full undertanding, just hope he doesn't try to take on too much? He doesn't need to have an OC per se, but seems like others should take on specific 'tasks' during games? I don't know what exactly he'd pawn off or have someone in his ear, but i'll throw out situational plays on offense, small injuries to offensive players, replays, time management, etc. He can't be aware of every single thing during a game, can he?

This is of course pure speculation on my part. But I've wondered if his decision to not name an OC was due to (a) perhaps he wishes to use this year to 'audition' one or more guys on his staff, see how they do this year, and then name the 'winner' as OC in 2018; or in my mind more likely (b) there's someone out there that he wants as his OC but who wasn't contractually available this year and so Shanahan has decided he's willing to wait until next year to add that person to his staff.

I assume that Shanahan realizes that being both HC and OC long-term just is not tenable, unless maybe your name is Bill Walsh. So I further assume that his decision to NOT name an OC has a relatively straightforward explanation. I thought it could be that he wants to put his stamp on the offense and by being his own OC that might be one way to do that, to ensure that going forward the offense runs EXACTLY as he desires. But to my mind that doesn't make sense, he could just as easily put his stamp on the offense by hiring an OC and looking over the OC's shoulder to make sure things are done the right way. So I'm guessing that it's ultimately due to the guy he wants not yet being available or already being on staff but 'in training.'