• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shanahan Disappointed

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its ok to disagree so that means me. :-)

Again, not saying I don't want to upgrade WR, but when we do (other spots come first NOW), we need a bigger outside guy. Jarvis Landry is mainly a slot receiver, so don't see Lynch signing him for 'big' FA money. 112 receptions but 987 yards. He was targeted 160 times.

I think Lynch will do what he did last year, go after mainly "2nd tier" FA's. If anything, I can only see him paying 'big' FA money for a starting CB.

Don't see why Taylor wouldn't catch 112 out of 160 targets?

Well percentage wise Taylor caught passes at a slightly higher rate at 71.6666 percent versus Landry's 70 percent. With that said Landry was targeted 160 times vs Taylor's 60 so Landry was on the field a lot more and their is no way of knowing if Taylor would continue to catch at that rate with 1.5 times the usage more wear and tear/fatigue. Also last season Landry had Matt Moore and Jay Cutler throwing him the ball so he could have had better numbers with a better QB. I'm completely ok with giving Taylor the chance to be the slot guy but to say he's on the same level as Landry is a false at this point in his career.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Landry is probably the best WR available or at least the most accomplished which is one reason I think they will try to target CB in Free agency because there are several guys that would be huge upgrades if signed. Not as much from a pass rusher perspective or O-Line so that is probably spots they will fill in the draft.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well percentage wise Taylor caught passes at a slightly higher rate at 71.6666 percent versus Landry's 70 percent. With that said Landry was targeted 160 times vs Taylor's 60 so Landry was on the field a lot more and their is no way of knowing if Taylor would continue to catch at that rate with 1.5 times the usage more wear and tear/fatigue. Also last season Landry had Matt Moore and Jay Cutler throwing him the ball so he could have had better numbers with a better QB. I'm completely ok with giving Taylor the chance to be the slot guy but to say he's on the same level as Landry is a false at this point in his career.

i didn't say that so how did you comprehend it? Where did you read that?

my point is why pay Landry much more for just a little more production? "little more production" means Landry is more "accomplished".

I just used Taylor to say leading the league in catches, doesn't seal the deal for Landry. i said if you threw to Taylor a lot, he'd likely catch as much as Landry, your post just confirmed this.

BTW - Taylor's yard per catch is 10 yards, Landry is 8.8 yards. But his sample size is smaller, so didn't post this earlier.

Last edited:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't say that so how did you comprehend it? Where did you read that?

my point is why pay Landry much more for just a little more production? "little more production" means Landry is more "accomplished".

I just used Taylor to say leading the league in catches, doesn't seal the deal for Landry. i said if you threw to Taylor a lot, he'd likely catch as much as Landry, your post just confirmed this.

BTW - Taylor's yard per catch is 10 yards, Landry is 8.8 yards. But his sample size is smaller, so didn't post this earlier.

You answered it yourself by saying that if you threw to Taylor more he would put up similar numbers meaning he is the same level as Landry given the chance. I would also argue that Taylor's numbers would likely dip if he were on the field as much as Landry. As I stated I'm fine with giving Taylor a chance to be the guy in the slot but I'm also ok with getting an elite player at that spot. At this moment in time Landry has done it and Taylor hasn't and Landry has done it for several years. If Taylor get's 160 targets next year I would be shocked but looking at his sample size with Garoppolo as the QB might be a good indicator as to what he could do next year with at least a good QB throwing him the ball. His stats were 20 targets, 17 receptions for 191 yards and one TD. So nearly half his yards, a third of his targets, just under half of his receptions and half his touchdowns were with Garoppolo throwing the ball. If the percentages held with him getting targeted 160 times which I doubt would happen but who knows he would end with 136 catches for 1528 yards and about 9 touchdowns maybe 10. That would be huge numbers that I doubt he would reach because a larger sample size would drive his percentages down to more normal level.