• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Series With Rays Begins Among Trade Rumors July 21 - 23

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. Force a team to make an offer you can't refuse. If you put him on the block teams start haggling with you. Teams will keep calling even if you tell them he's not available and eventually will name a price. Make them name a price, not you. Saying he's unavailable is basically saying "you're not offering enough. Call me when you get serious."
Kinda what I was thinking regarding the Dodgers

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do. Force a team to make an offer you can't refuse. If you put him on the block teams start haggling with you. Teams will keep calling even if you tell them he's not available and eventually will name a price. Make them name a price, not you. Saying he's unavailable is basically saying "you're not offering enough. Call me when you get serious."

Seems like "we're listening to multiple offers" sends that message better than "we're not listening to any offers." Because while Darvish is the best name out there, he's not the only name.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like "we're listening to multiple offers" sends that message better than "we're not listening to any offers." Because while Darvish is the best name out there, he's not the only name.

Nah. People are predictable. They want what they can't have and they will continue to make offers. How many times did we continue to call on Stanton even though he wasn't available? "Were fielding offers from multiple teams" puts you in a weaker bargaining position. "He's not available" says you better bring your A game.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. People are predictable. They want what they can't have and they will continue to make offers. How many times did we continue to call on Stanton even though he wasn't available? "Were fielding offers from multiple teams" puts you in a weaker bargaining position. "He's not available" says you better bring your A game.

Either way, sure would be a shame if everyone's A-game wasn't enough, and no trade happens, and then Yu leaves in the offseason.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, sure would be a shame if everyone's A-game wasn't enough, and no trade happens, and then Yu leaves in the offseason.
In that case, JD will go too and I can't imagine that scenario.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New thread is up

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone will sweeten the pot. No sense in keeping him unless as I said before, Yu may have made a deal and not ready to announce it.IDK.

Now, you do realize that this would be against the rules? Isn't it?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like "we're listening to multiple offers"

Isn't that the true story of "baseball trading deadlines" in 2017?

Why would you not? My mantra was/is, "everyone is tradeable. Just depends on what's coming back".

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that the true story of "baseball trading deadlines" in 2017?

Why would you not? My mantra was/is, "everyone is tradeable. Just depends on what's coming back".

I agree... I've no idea what JD is telling other GMs or why.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sake of argument, let's say that's true and JD is telling other clubs Yu is not available.

Surely that means either one of two things: there is a deal that's being finalized and they haven't announced it, or JD thinks they have a shot at re-signing him. I can't imagine JD would hold onto Darvish and let him walk.

EDIT: let me put it another way... if JD doesn't sign Darvish or trade him, I think he pretty much loses most of his reputation as GM.
I think JD holds onto Darvish unless this team has another losing streak between now and next week. The Rays may have ruined our chances at being sellers.

I don't think us holding onto Darvish means we are likely to re-sign him. Unless we announce a deal very soon I think he walks. I think the Prince and Choo contracts are to blame as much as anything for us losing him. It gives us less money to spend and it leaves a bad taste in upper management's mouth about longterm contracts.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I agree with you. I think if you say he isn't available some teams will drop out of the Darvish market and trade for another pitcher. That provides you with less buyers to drive up the price. Now, JD may agree with Romeo and the other argument is a logical one, but I see a flaw in taking that approach. JD might not see that as a flaw though.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we keep him, we better get a wildcard or it's all for nothing. If we miss the playoffs and he leaves in free agency, that would be the ultimate kick in the nuts. JD must prevent that from happening at all costs.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we keep him, we better get a wildcard or it's all for nothing.

Getting a wildcard would be for nothing. Last year, the Rangers got overwhelmed in the ALDS, and on paper they seemingly could have hung with any of the postseason teams. The top teams are stronger this season, and the Rangers have taken a couple of steps back.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think JD holds onto Darvish unless this team has another losing streak between now and next week. The Rays may have ruined our chances at being sellers.

I don't think us holding onto Darvish means we are likely to re-sign him. Unless we announce a deal very soon I think he walks. I think the Prince and Choo contracts are to blame as much as anything for us losing him. It gives us less money to spend and it leaves a bad taste in upper management's mouth about longterm contracts.
If that happens JD needs to be held accountable.