• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September callups

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that September numbers are taken with a grain of salt, but wouldn't it make sense to see him in the big leagues now, to get an idea before heading into the offseason whether they really want to look at getting another lefty in the bullpen? Spring training seems awfully late when most of the free agents are snatched up or if he looks good and they didn't need to sign someone else.

Could be the Giants are okay with him resting the rest of the season. No point in calling him up and having him stew on the bench.

I feel like even if they brought in Snelten, and he did well, they'd still be looking at add a veteran lefty in the offseason. And the Giants have a good idea of what Snelten is already. A few innings in September won't change that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants sign free agent pitcher Ryan Vogelsong to a one day contract. He will be added to the roster for Sunday's game.

Seriously, though, I do not know if this will require a 40-move. If it is purely ceremonial, I THINK MLB does not require a 40-spot, but It would be kinda cool if they actually get him in the game for a batter or two. They have Morse and Melancon who can go to the 60 to clear a spot.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants sign free agent pitcher Ryan Vogelsong to a one day contract. He will be added to the roster for Sunday's game.

Seriously, though, I do not know if this will require a 40-move. If it is purely ceremonial, I THINK MLB does not require a 40-spot, but It would be kinda cool if they actually get him in the game for a batter or two. They have Morse and Melancon who can go to the 60 to clear a spot.

Agreed. But as LHG keeps saying, if they haven't moved Morse to the 60 by now, they never will. There must be SOME reason he is still on the 40. Maybe Marco can enlighten us, or it will come out once this deity forsaken season is finished. Melancon goes under the knife tomorrow (Tuesday), right? So again, why keep him on the 40?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. But as LHG keeps saying, if they haven't moved Morse to the 60 by now, they never will. There must be SOME reason he is still on the 40. Maybe Marco can enlighten us, or it will come out once this deity forsaken season is finished. Melancon goes under the knife tomorrow (Tuesday), right? So again, why keep him on the 40?

I don't think ceremonial 1 day contracts require a 40 man roster add. However, getting him into a game would require an add to the 40 man roster. Knowing the Giants, they'd rather dfa Daniel Slania than move Michael Morse, Mark Melancon, Miguel Gomez or Brandon Belt to the 60 day dl.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, one last grumble about the 40 man rosters and September. I was scrolling through the transactions page for the past week, for MLB, and noticed the Dodgers purchased an infielder's contract on the 29th. I wondered if it was an early offseason move so I looked at his player profile, saw that he got in all three of the last games after his contract was purchased. So my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to wonder over to the Dodgers' roster. It would seem that they made active 39 of the 40 spots on their roster for September. That seems more like a team that was well out of playoff contention would do. The only player that they didn't activate was Julio Urias, which seemed a bit weird to me that he wasn't moved to the 60 day dl because they did that for all 8 other players that were injured. Not one guy left in the minors (who was not injured) or on the 10 day dl. A few of those 39 were guys coming off the dl and top prospects but there were also middling guys that they decided to give a cup of coffee. Again, sounds like something a non-contending club would do. Really wished the Giants had given a few guys (Tyler Rogers, Slade Heathcott, Jae-Gyun Hwang, Caleb Gindl, DJ Snelton, Carlos Moncrief) some love this past month, even if few to none are in their future plans. The guys put the numbers to get a call, even if it was 15 at-bats or 5 relief appearances.

Last edited:

VASFfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, one last grumble about the 40 man rosters and September. I was scrolling through the transactions page for the past week, for MLB, and noticed the Dodgers purchased an infielder's contract on the 29th. I wondered if it was an early offseason move so I looked at his player profile, saw that he got in all three of the last games after his contract was purchased. So my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to wonder over to the Dodgers' roster. It would seem that they made active 39 of the 40 spots on their roster for September. That seems more like a team that was well out of playoff contention would do. The only player that they didn't activate was Julio Urias, which seemed a bit weird to me that he wasn't moved to the 60 day dl because they did that for all 8 other players that were injured. Not one guy left in the minors (who was not injured) or on the 10 day dl. A few of those 39 were guys coming off the dl and top prospects but there were also middling guys that they decided to give a cup of coffee. Again, sounds like something a non-contending club would do. Really wished the Giants had given a few guys (Tyler Rogers, Slade Heathcott, Jae-Gyun Hwang, Caleb Gindl, DJ Snelton, Carlos Moncrief) some love this past month, even if few to none are in their future plans. The guys put the numbers to get a call, even if it was 15 at-bats or 5 relief appearances.

In general I don't disagree with what you're saying, but there are limits. I think the Giants already saw enough of Hwang to determine whether they thought he had a future with them or not, and so bringing him back up wouldn't have really served any purpose, especially if in fact they have decided that they aren't going to bring him back next year. Gindl they for whatever reason apparently thought so little of that they released him in early September. (Or at least he's listed as released in the September Richmond transactions list.) Moncrief looks to be nothing more than a career minor league guy, they gave him his cup, good for him, but again no real point in bringing him back when they had other guys to look at (in the few games Bochy would allow them, which is a separate issue). But yeah, Rogers and Snelten, why the hell NOT bring them up...especially when they bring up someone like Gomez? Maybe they wanted to give him a career award by giving him a month in the bigs, but giving Rogers and Snelten a look against ML batters would seem to have been more productive. Perhaps especially Rogers, when there seems to be some sentiment (as expressed on this board) that Rogers is all smoke, no substance. Well, why not give him a few outings to see if he can change some minds?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general I don't disagree with what you're saying, but there are limits. I think the Giants already saw enough of Hwang to determine whether they thought he had a future with them or not, and so bringing him back up wouldn't have really served any purpose, especially if in fact they have decided that they aren't going to bring him back next year. Gindl they for whatever reason apparently thought so little of that they released him in early September. (Or at least he's listed as released in the September Richmond transactions list.) Moncrief looks to be nothing more than a career minor league guy, they gave him his cup, good for him, but again no real point in bringing him back when they had other guys to look at (in the few games Bochy would allow them, which is a separate issue). But yeah, Rogers and Snelten, why the hell NOT bring them up...especially when they bring up someone like Gomez? Maybe they wanted to give him a career award by giving him a month in the bigs, but giving Rogers and Snelten a look against ML batters would seem to have been more productive. Perhaps especially Rogers, when there seems to be some sentiment (as expressed on this board) that Rogers is all smoke, no substance. Well, why not give him a few outings to see if he can change some minds?
Yeah, they did release Gindl in September, which is a really odd move. Typically, they just let the guy walk as a minor league free agent in November. Maybe they confused him for Mac Williamson and wanted him out the org ASAP.
My rant is going beyond the "give them a look for next year". Its a "let them spend a month on an major league roster because it may be their last chance to do so" rant. Even if they got a look at Hwang and Moncrief, they could let them play out the string with the big league club. There is no good reason not to, the team had nothing to lose by doing so (maybe we get the 1st pick next year if Hwang played 3rd yesterday). The Giants could have made room/kept room for those two by moving guys to the 60 day (i.e. Miguel Gomez and Christian Arroyo). I guess that they figured Roberto Gomez was their one guy to give him a cup for the fun of it. No need to do that for anyone else.