• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Senior Bowl....Carl?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts on the SR bowl are this:

The SR bowl is maybe more important for fans who don't watch much college football during the course of the season. They read or hear about prospects but don't really get a good look at them until they read reports/see the game.

I think the game itself has very little impact.

I think it is important for players obviously otherwise they wouldn't have it but moreso in terms of practice, interviews, 1 on 1's than the game itself.

If gives scouts a chance to meet with players, see their personality, character, etc. There may be a thing or two on the field wise where someone may see a difference in their scouting during the season, but for the most part it's a bigger deal for fans who haven't seen a lot of these guys. They often base their opinion off one game or one week of an all-star game.

The interview process is a huge however with SR bowl. Might be one of the bigger things of the SR bowl process for players. Combine obviously numbers are huge and then you also get the interview process with that and proday. When I went to Iowa State's proday with a player a few years back I felt most conversations between player and team personnel was about 2-5 minutes, but other then EJ Bibbs not many high prospects at Iowa State proday that year.

Watch Baker Mayfield go #1 overall to the Browns. I'm still not sold nor am I 100% anti Baker. I don't see Brees in him nor do I see Johnny Manziel. I see somewhere in the middle. (which is a HUGE gap)
Senior bowl has no tme limits on interviews you can take
My thoughts on the SR bowl are this:

The SR bowl is maybe more important for fans who don't watch much college football during the course of the season. They read or hear about prospects but don't really get a good look at them until they read reports/see the game.

I think the game itself has very little impact.

I think it is important for players obviously otherwise they wouldn't have it but moreso in terms of practice, interviews, 1 on 1's than the game itself.

If gives scouts a chance to meet with players, see their personality, character, etc. There may be a thing or two on the field wise where someone may see a difference in their scouting during the season, but for the most part it's a bigger deal for fans who haven't seen a lot of these guys. They often base their opinion off one game or one week of an all-star game.

The interview process is a huge however with SR bowl. Might be one of the bigger things of the SR bowl process for players. Combine obviously numbers are huge and then you also get the interview process with that and proday. When I went to Iowa State's proday with a player a few years back I felt most conversations between player and team personnel was about 2-5 minutes, but other then EJ Bibbs not many high prospects at Iowa State proday that year.

Watch Baker Mayfield go #1 overall to the Browns. I'm still not sold nor am I 100% anti Baker. I don't see Brees in him nor do I see Johnny Manziel. I see somewhere in the middle. (which is a HUGE gap)

I don't pay much attention to the Senior Bowl in general
This year is an exception with a couple 1st round QBs and the Broncos
But most years you get the Mike whites and Luke Falks of the world as the primary level of QB.

I heard the kid with one hand isn't even invited to the combine though he showed well at the Senior Bowl practices

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - Manziel is the short story comparison to Mayfield - which is why I don't see the Brown's making that pick. I'm not saying it is a fair comparison, but it makes some surface sense in comparison to Manziel.

I think the important thing about the Broncos coaching in the Senior Bowl is that it will help to align Bronco scouting with guys the coaches can agree fit the scheme they want to run. The failure of the Bronco last year - I think - was Elway assembled the top guys as coaches - made a lot of decision on personnel and brought in a young coach - turned out to be too many chiefs and not enough Indians. So the scouts had no clear vision about what kind of talent to bring in.
An underlying benefit of the Senior Bowl it allows the new coaches of the Broncos to come together and coach .

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well gentlemen I have made it back home finally. Have to say that if you ever get a chance to go to the Senior Bowl week do it. There is no place quite like it. Fans, media, scouts, coaches, and GM's all hang out together. John Elway sat not too far from me at one point. Got to talk to him actually for a bit for an interview. Andy Reid sat right behind me at one practice.

So somebody had asked earlier who all I got to meet. This isn't an extensive list but just some of the big names are John Elway, Gary Kubiak, John Lynch, Steve Atwater, Daniel Jeremiah, Mike Vrabel, the entire Broncos coaching staff (got a really good interview with Joe Woods who gave me about 10 minutes of his time), Nick Saban, Reggie McKenzie, Brandon Stokley, Wes Welker (forgot he was on the Texans coaching staff), players wise at the game I talked with Baker Mayfield, Shaquem Griffen, Alex Cappa, Allan Lazard, and coolest one there was Nathan Shepherd (gave me my best interview of the week). There were quite a few agents that I got to talk to and you couldn't take a step without bumping into a scout.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The science of the draft is simple. We read it all day long. I'm fascinated with the art of the draft. What did New England see in Wes Welker to offer a 2nd round pick
To Miami for an small WR who was not drafted , cut by SD and was doing not much in MIA.

why can Pittsburgh draft WRs, Baltimore OLine, New England TEs and slot WRs

These teams have tribal knowledge that cannot be taught.

Like I said fascinating

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for my experience it started off a little rough. My original flight got canceled. So got put on another one later in the day that also got canceled. At that point my airline said the only way I would make it is to go on another airline. So switched airlines and made it to Dallas before my next flight once again got canceled. When I went to talk to them about getting set up for a hotel that night they said the original airline was responsible. So went to where they were in the airport to be told no that isn't the case go back to the other. I asked if they could just call and work it out and they said no. So kept going back and forth from one end to the other (Dallas airport is 28 miles all the way around) having both say no. Finally they tried to get into the system and both said that my name had been deleted from their system. Apparently when the original lady in Wichita had booked me on the other airline she also booked me on 3 other flights by accident. The computer freaked out and deleted me from the system. And because I wasn't in the system yet at the same time I was they couldn't get me on a flight. Four hours later finally one airline was able to get me on a flight.

Went and got into my hotel they comped me and decided I better call my original hotel and rental car to let them know I wasn't making it. Both informed me that I was not in their system either. Apparently when my original flight canceled it deleted everything that I had booked since I went through one site for it all. I finally got to bed about 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday with having to get up at 3:30 to catch my flight. My wife thankfully took care of the hotel and car rental getting all the details worked out. Took her about 4 hours on the phone but it got done. Arrived in Mobile to find out my luggage had been lost and nobody knew where it was. It was no longer in the system. I ended up having to go buy new clothes and toiletries because well didn't want to show up as the stinky guy for interviews. My clothes finally showed up the day before I had to leave. Found out my bag had been in Mobile the entire time but it just never got checked in for some reason then two airlines again fought over whose responsibility it was to bring it to my hotel.

Ended up making it just in time for the first practice. Missed all the interviews and weigh in but it is what it is. Practice though took a bit to adjust because seriously you are surrounded by football royalty everywhere you turn. First person I ran into going through the gates was John Lynch. Right next to him was Drew Rosenhous. In between practices you get the chance to go on the field and interview players so started off interviewing Alex Cappa. He was a pretty nice guy just gave quick short answers though as he seemed nervous about not wanting to say something wrong.

After the practices were all done I ended up going back to my hotel room to write some articles and get ready for my podcast with Nick. I ended up having a roommate for the week in Sayre Bedinger from Predominantly Orange. Some on here have asked if I was him so if you want a picture to prove there are two of us I have one. Really cool guy if you ever get a chance to interact with him.

Wednesday we woke up and went to the hotel where all the players and action was happening. We decided to hang out in the bar and work on some more articles. While there scouts started bringing players for interviews. Had the Patriots interviewing Kyle Lauletta just a couple of tables away. The Bears scout sat down right next to us. Also had some media people walking through and got a chance to talk to some of the big media guys. They were more than willing to spill the beans on anything football related. Most of them said Broncos plan on going all in on Kirk Cousins. They would be shocked if he isn't a Denver Bronco. They said if they don't get Kirk Cousins then Baker Mayfield is who they really want and are willing to trade up to 3 to get him. Jets will be their biggest competition. Also Washington has contacted the broncos about a trade if say they do get Cousins because the Redskins want Baker but know he won't make it to them.

Practices on Wednesday went as usual with nothing too crazy happening. Got to be apart of interviewing John Elway after the North practiced though so that was just crazy standing 1 foot away from him with my phone shoved in his face.

After practice I ended up going to a coffee shop to do my writing with Sayre Bedinger then a guy from MHR that was there as well. The coffee shop was where a lot of the big media guys came to get charged back up for the evening so got to talk to them a bit.

Thursday was a lot of the same as Wednesday with hanging out in the lobby. Loudest coach by far for the Broncos is Bill Kollar. His normal voice is my yelling voice. Thursday got the chance to talk to Joe Woods and our new Secondary coach Greg Williams. Joe told me Wolfe is finally feeling more like his old self again. They figured out something with his neck that they didn't notice before so the numbing pain is finally gone.

After practice it was again more interviews, writing, and podcast. There is a place that some of the media like to go and get drinks that GM's sometimes show up to. I ended up not going just with so much else to do. If I go again next year I'm going to make time to do that.

Beyond that let's see Mike Klis was on my flight. He was really nice actually. I had heard he was a jerk but he took the time to stop and talk then even gave me his email so that we can keep talking.

Overall it was an incredible experience that I'm still having a tough time processing all that I experienced. Truly life changing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players that really stood out in practice...

Baker Mayfield--destroyed practice every single day and was easily the best leadership wise on the field.

James Washington--Easily the best WR. The WR group though was overall disappointing but Washington definitely shined.

Will Hernandez--Destroyed people left and right. People I talked to said he is now a top-15 pick.

Brett Toth--Hopefully the military lets him out of his 2-year commitment.

Komoku Turay--Very good pass rushing option that is raw but has elite speed

Ogbannie Okoronkwo--Showed up much bigger than I thought and gave the tackles fits all week

Nwosu--The pass rushers had a good week.

BJ Hill--Gave even Will Hernandez fits up the middle

Andrew Brown--Best 1-gap DT at the Senior Bowl

Jaylen Samuels--Best running back of the group and looks like the next Alvin Kamara to me.

Isaac Yiodum--Showed up well every practice

Kylie Fitts--Another good high effort pass rusher

J'Mon Moore--had some bad drops but otherwise showed well running routes and just being one of the fastest guys at the event.

MJ Stewart--undersized but aggressive CB

Taylor Hearn--Good overall guard

Byron Pringle--2nd best WR all week

Alex Cappa--Had a couple of bad moments but otherwise made himself some money this week.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7 That's crazy. What a hassle.

Speaking of Drew Rosenhaus. I sit down in the players section during Iowa games he was here once trying to get Desmond King... Guy sat a row above me and about 5 seats down with King's family. Something about that guy I don't like.

Interesting on Pringle. He was very highly recruit as a JUCO coming out... Has great speed. Didn't put up the numbers expected at Kansas State, but really IMO a poor choice by him to go to Kansas State, not a good fit for a WR... He is a terrific person though. Ive had a lot of interaction with him. Great personality.

I know a few people at the SR bowl who says Cappa stuck out to them more then any other OL this week.

Turay is gonna climb draft boards. I've got him in round 2 right now but won't be shocked if someone falls in love with him in round 1.

James Washington :) :) :)

Any thoughts on Dubuque DB Michael Joseph? Meyock seemed to rave about him at practice. I am trying to figure out if he is a CB or S at the next level. Probably depends on the scheme. I am just so intrigued by this guy because of his school. My best friend from HS was the LB coach at U of Dubuque. Love seeing a Dubuque player get SR bowl and draft love.

Yiadom has always intrigued me from his first year at BC. Not a star player, but good tools. Never really got much love in college, but finally getting some.

Seems like BC has done well with DB's lately. Justin Simmons, John Johnson last year, Yiadom this year and next year will be Will Harris (remember this name)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cdumler7 That's crazy. What a hassle.

Speaking of Drew Rosenhaus. I sit down in the players section during Iowa games he was here once trying to get Desmond King... Guy sat a row above me and about 5 seats down with King's family. Something about that guy I don't like.

Interesting on Pringle. He was very highly recruit as a JUCO coming out... Has great speed. Didn't put up the numbers expected at Kansas State, but really IMO a poor choice by him to go to Kansas State, not a good fit for a WR... He is a terrific person though. Ive had a lot of interaction with him. Great personality.

I know a few people at the SR bowl who says Cappa stuck out to them more then any other OL this week.

Turay is gonna climb draft boards. I've got him in round 2 right now but won't be shocked if someone falls in love with him in round 1.

James Washington :) :) :)

Any thoughts on Dubuque DB Michael Joseph? Meyock seemed to rave about him at practice. I am trying to figure out if he is a CB or S at the next level. Probably depends on the scheme. I am just so intrigued by this guy because of his school. My best friend from HS was the LB coach at U of Dubuque. Love seeing a Dubuque player get SR bowl and draft love.

Yiadom has always intrigued me from his first year at BC. Not a star player, but good tools. Never really got much love in college, but finally getting some.

Seems like BC has done well with DB's lately. Justin Simmons, John Johnson last year, Yiadom this year and next year will be Will Harris (remember this name)

While I don't think Rosenhaus is a good guy I will say there is probably nobody fighting harder for his clients than him. The guy is constantly on the phone either talking to players or teams. He was everywhere this week.

Cappa stuck out for sure during practice. Hasn't had a good game so far though.
Turay was one of my favorite players to watch all week. Seriously just destroyed most guys he went again.

DB's for me are the toughest to scout. I always end up watching the WR and what they are doing. There were a lot of people talking about him though.

And Yiadom the biggest thing I noticed about him was he just seemed to know what the WR was going to do. He would run the route for them. Great instincts to make up for some of his athletic limitations.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't think Rosenhaus is a good guy I will say there is probably nobody fighting harder for his clients than him. The guy is constantly on the phone either talking to players or teams. He was everywhere this week.

Personal experience I would disagree with this. I believe he fights for his top guys (which that is pretty easy when you have the top guys in the draft) but it's the guys who don't go early that he doesn't fight for... I've known him to throw several guys to the side after they fall in the draft... Rosenhaus is known for cleaning up Michigan.... I can remember a few years back when he had Donovan Warren who was considered a 2-3 rd pick. Ran a bad 40, went undrafted. Signed by the Jets, was cut before final cutdown and Drew just threw him to the side (no time of day for him ) after that. Was banking on him getting that rd 2-3 contract. I can think of other cases. I'm sure like any other agent he shows his face. I mean it's pretty easy for Drew when you have a handful of top guys everyone wants... Teams are going to talk to you.... But it's what you do for those guys who aren't slam dunks as an agent IMO...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personal experience I would disagree with this. I believe he fights for his top guys (which that is pretty easy when you have the top guys in the draft) but it's the guys who don't go early that he doesn't fight for... I've known him to throw several guys to the side after they fall in the draft... Rosenhaus is known for cleaning up Michigan.... I can remember a few years back when he had Donovan Warren who was considered a 2-3 rd pick. Ran a bad 40, went undrafted. Signed by the Jets, was cut before final cutdown and Drew just threw him to the side (no time of day for him ) after that. Was banking on him getting that rd 2-3 contract. I can think of other cases. I'm sure like any other agent he shows his face. I mean it's pretty easy for Drew when you have a handful of top guys everyone wants... Teams are going to talk to you.... But it's what you do for those guys who aren't slam dunks as an agent IMO...

Good point. Like I said my experience with him was just seemed like every time I turned around there he was either on his phone, talking to some GM/coach, or something along that matter. He definitely puts in the hours. That was my only experience with him. Doesn't shock me though that he would cast his lower level clients to the side as he does seem like that type of guy.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Yiadom... You have to put him in the right scheme for him to work. He is a press coverage corner. Another guy who would excel in Seattle but flop in many other systems, IMO... If you take him and you don't play press coverage then you failed him and didn't do your homework as a team.. He has awesome technique, physical and can press as well as most CB's in this draft. Well developed player coming out just needs to be put in the right system.

P.S. When Rosenhaus was after Desmond King he was on the phone the entire game... I think it is glued to his ear.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Western Kentucky TE Deon Yelder impresses me more and more everytime I see him... For the second year in a row I really like the TE class.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos Staff got blown out at Senior Bowl are we having 2017 flashbacks :)

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really starting to grow fond of RB Rashaad Penny. I haven't watched the game yet (have it on DVR and will watch tonight after work), but from what I hear (internet rumors, so they HAVE to be true!) he did well this week in practice and is very polished as a back and returner. I wonder how he will run, though. It sounds like scouts say he lacks the breakaway speed, but he seems like a good kid and a great mid round pick.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos Staff got blown out at Senior Bowl are we having 2017 flashbacks :)

LOL - I was thinking - it certainly felt like a Broncos game from last season.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Senior bowl has no tme limits on interviews you can take

I don't pay much attention to the Senior Bowl in general
This year is an exception with a couple 1st round QBs and the Broncos
But most years you get the Mike whites and Luke Falks of the world as the primary level of QB.

I heard the kid with one hand isn't even invited to the combine though he showed well at the Senior Bowl practices

A team can interview a player for 6 hours if they want (But if you need to interview someone for 6 hours you better not take them because it must mean you have red flag ;))

Griffin doesn't have a combine invite yet, which is a bit crazy but he is on a short list for an extended invite. He still has a chance to go.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Allen certainly had a great 2nd half.
I'd swing for the fences with him

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire Senior Bowl (until/unless it gets taken down):