• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Selection Sunday Thread

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite common.

Seeds are based on resume, bettors bet on talent.

I know but when your ranked in top 25 in most polls and point differential is 2- points a game, figure a 6-7 seed. I know a guy Happy Dobbs, who started all 4 years as a point guard for Vill. He became HC at Brown before Michelle Obama brother was HC there and then went to Ohio Bobcats and now at Bryant College in NEEAC div as a scout for Tim OShea, his son also played at Bryant a few years ago, guy has to well over 3bills. One of my fav Ch games was when the Final Four has 3 Big east teams and Georgetown faced off with your Wildcats, John Thompson vs Rollie Massimino. Those were the years when Georgetown would have one great C after another Ewing, Mourning and Motumbo

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know but when your ranked in top 25 in most polls and point differential is 2- points a game, figure a 6-7 seed. I know a guy Happy Dobbs, who started all 4 years as a point guard for Vill. He became HC at Brown before Michelle Obama brother was HC there and then went to Ohio Bobcats and now at Bryant College in NEEAC div as a scout for Tim OShea, his son also played at Bryant a few years ago, guy has to well over 3bills. One of my fav Ch games was when the Final Four has 3 Big east teams and Georgetown faced off with your Wildcats, John Thompson vs Rollie Massimino. Those were the years when Georgetown would have one great C after another Ewing, Mourning and Motumbo

If memory serves me correctly, Mourning and Motumbo were on the same team and the team was only an 8 seed one year (I'll look in up after this).

Now THAT is an 8 seed to be reckoned with.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If memory serves me correctly, Mourning and Motumbo were on the same team and the team was only an 8 seed one year (I'll look in up after this).

Now THAT is an 8 seed to be reckoned with.

I remember when the Celts drafted Charles Smith from Georgetown. He had hit and killed 2 BU students when he ran a red light and took off. Here is a short article of some of the players that visited him in jail. So tragic for the 2 students and their families

Lewis was one of his many NBA friends who came to comfort him in prison. Old Georgetown pals Patrick Ewing, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning and Reggie Williams stopped by whenever they could. Sherm Douglas, a friend from his Big East days, took a cab over from his hotel to South Bay the times his club, the Miami Heat, played at the Garden.

The steady stream of Celtics faces were a help. Larry Bird, Parish, Kevin Gamble, Chris Ford, Jan Volk, Dave Gavitt, M.L. Carr and Lewis all stopped by to offer encouragement. Some came just once; others, like Lewis, were regular visitors.

"Reggie came to see me four days before he died," said Smith. "I was glad I saw him one more time."

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like RPI was still a major emphasis on selection and seeding for the most part. The metrics(BPI, Sagarin, KenPom) largely ignored this year.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we really need to do something about the seeding issue. They should really do a better job of seeding teams.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was asked before but how in the world did Maryland get a 6 seed and Wisconsin an 8? Thank you selection committee for being idiots.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was asked before but how in the world did Maryland get a 6 seed and Wisconsin an 8? Thank you selection committee for being idiots.

The only reasoning I can come up with is that Wisconsin had a Non Conf. SOS of 304. Committee penalized them for that. Maryland's was much better at 126 and included wins over Oklahoma State and Kansas State(neutral court) who made it as at larges. Part of that line of thinking is why I think Minnesota is on the 5 line.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reasoning I can come up with is that Wisconsin had a Non Conf. SOS of 304. Committee penalized them for that. Maryland's was much better at 126 and included wins over Oklahoma State and Kansas State(neutral court) who made it as at larges. Part of that line of thinking is why I think Minnesota is on the 5 line.

That was what we argued all year as they jumped out to 22-4 and barely ranked. I get it, rankings and seeds are not the same but Maryland was punished (not totally unfairly) for not really beating any very good teams all year. They also faded down the stretch when the schedule caught up to them and that's always considered.

No Maryland got a break IMO.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we really need to do something about the seeding issue. They should really do a better job of seeding teams.

I think the metrics(KenPom, BPI, Sagarin) can be even more flawed than the RPI is. In terms of seeding a bracket. I've actually wanted to do this the last couple of years, but haven't had time, but will this year, I'm going to post a bracket strictly using just those 3 metrics(averaging them out) and see what turns up. My guess is that it will look significantly worse than what the actual bracket looks like.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was what we argued all year as they jumped out to 22-4 and barely ranked. I get it, rankings and seeds are not the same but Maryland was punished (not totally unfairly) for not really beating any very good teams all year. They also faded down the stretch when the schedule caught up to them and that's always considered.

Wisconsin is in same boat

I think Sconi got screwed more than Maryland though

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sconi is Wisconsin? If you are saying they got screwed more than MD that was my entire point, MD got a break and Wisconsin got screwed IMO.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy who ran our pool moved and for the first time in decades I'm not doing one. Last year my pick Michigan State got bounced in the first round and for once I was able to just root for who I wanted to win instead of being forced to root for Kentucky because I had them going to the finals. Like dumping FF it was refreshing and I may never go back.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think they were to far off of where they should have been. They haven't played well down the stretch, but that's no longer a selection criteria. I think Maryland was punished early in the season for nothing more than the fact they didn't look impressive in a lot of their wins, even though they had a gaudy record. Struggling to beat teams like American, Towson, Richmond, St. Peters etc doesn't look good perceptually, which is what rankings are all about.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those would be the Rumeal Robinson free throws?

Yes. They were controversial because a couple of weeks earlier he missed free throw shots in a loss. These shots redeemed him.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they were to far off of where they should have been. They haven't played well down the stretch, but that's no longer a selection criteria. I think Maryland was punished early in the season for nothing more than the fact they didn't look impressive in a lot of their wins, even though they had a gaudy record. Struggling to beat teams like American, Towson, Richmond, St. Peters etc doesn't look good perceptually, which is what rankings are all about.

Yeah and that drives me crazy, would they rather teams run up the score Steve Spurrier style. While I agree it was a bit of a bad look they still won and that is what really should matter most. They also beat pretty good teams like Oklahoma State and won a ton of road games all year. I think they were a bit under rated all year but clearly over rated now IMO.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and that drives me crazy, would they rather teams run up the score Steve Spurrier style. While I agree it was a bit of a bad look they still won and that is what really should matter most. They also beat pretty good teams like Oklahoma State and won a ton of road games all year. I think they were a bit under rated all year but clearly over rated now IMO.

I'm of the opinion that getting the win is the only thing that matters as well. It is why MD is rated much better in the RPI than they are in the other metrics.