• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

See Game of Thrones for the First Time Again: Through My Eyes

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read the books but I agree that the Dorne storyline seems pretty weak by comparison to the other storylines. But we did get some great nekid prison ta-tas from that hottie Sandsnake!

I also don't know how much was left out of the Sparrow's storyline but I thought they did a great job of making them appear like good guys but then showing them to be self-rightous abusive assholes. Plus they were wiped out in a pretty cool way!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, okay folks... :D

Lessee, looks like I'm going to get my Arya vs. Waif showdown here... Honestly thought Arya was going to go through with killing the actress, but cool to see her moral compass still points North for the most part. Was excited to see her be a "faceless man", but wasn't sure how that was going to work. Clearly she wanted to become a bad ass assassin, but that was in order to assassinate those on her list, not who the Many Faced God wanted her to kill...

Benjin is back.... Cool....

This is starting to get messy... Jaimie getting sent to take back Riverrun from the guy who is supposed to allied with Sansa and Jon Snow to take back Winterfell... This after Jaimie sent Brienne out to watch over Sansa, right? Be interesting to see how all of this works out. So long as Walder Fray has an epic death in there somewhere, I'm good (Though Arya should really be the one since he is on her "list")...

And could it REALLY be that Daenarys is ready to say, "Efff all this Slaver Bay shite... On to Westeros!!!"... Hope so. Though they just went over the fact that they had no ships, so it seemed an odd time to get the Dothraki all fired up to set sail, but whatever...

And Samwell's Dad is a dick. But I'm sure stealing his sword will be of some significance.

And I cannot determine whether Margaery has TRULY repented, or is playing the game right now... The Queen of Thorns does not seem pleased about it either way...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you read my post in its entirety or not but at no point did I suggest they could change everything around to make 15 seasons. Also I never said I loved Dorne in the books. In fact I made absolutely no reference to Dorne in the post you quoted but in other posts have stated that I have no problem with what they left out. I just think that what we got in its stead was terrible.

My bad. I was conflating you with BusSport. Apologies.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't know how much was left out of the Sparrow's storyline but I thought they did a great job of making them appear like good guys but then showing them to be self-rightous abusive assholes. Plus they were wiped out in a pretty cool way!

They seemed WAAAY overly self-righteous, because the TV show didn't go into graphic detail the hundreds and thousands of sparrows, silent sisters and other non combatants who were supposed to be neutral and off limits, being murdered, tortured, killed for sport, and their worldly possessions stolen.

The had a LOT of legit grievances in the book.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Book 4 was my least favorite so I was okay with them cutting out a lot of stuff from that book but I was really looking forward to seeing all the characters Tyrion would meet between Pentos and Volantis from Book 5. I figured some would get cut but they cut all of them and Varys kind of stood in for a bunch of people. I think I get why they did it though. They wanted to get Tyrion to Mereen that season as the Mereen storyline was getting pretty boring. They could have at least brought Illyrio back from Season 1 though since they already showed he was conspiring with Varys. Maybe the actor wasn't available? If so then I'm cool with them leaving him out and not recasting.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 Episode 7... Largely a set-up episode. Sandor Lives!!! Kinda knew it, but nice to see him back. Don't much care about the group he was with that was killed. It's a shame, but largely unimportant.

Was NOT happy to see Arya turned into a pin cushion... Get her back, damnit!!! Seems in Westeros that people must not have any critical parts in their lower abdomen, because it seems folks get stabbed there a lot and live...

Wonder if Yara swings both ways or if she is exclusively lezzie... LOL!! Like her trying to snap Theon out of it, though I get why Theon is broken of course... So they plan on joining up with Daenarys too? How does that work if the new King of the Iron Isles gets there first? (I forget his name and am too lazy to look it up...).

So I was right that Margaery is only pretending to be brainwashed, but have a feeling that Olenna leaving will alert the high sparrow to that fact... And wonder if Tommen is going along with the ruse, or if he is just doing what his hot wife tells him to... Guessing the latter. :D

Loved the little 10 year old Queen of Bear Island (House Mormont)... Doubt she is very significant, but she was great!!!

And Jaimie taking over the siege of RiverRun was amusing... So many moving parts there that I wonder how this all will play out... Looks from the preview of the next episode that he does meet with Brienne somehow, so that should clarify where this will all go ultimately.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved the little 10 year old Queen of Bear Island (House Mormont)... Doubt she is very significant, but she was great!!!

She is seriously badass!

Don't know how significant she is in the long run, but she is around for at least a few more episodes.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She is seriously badass!

Don't know how significant she is in the long run, but she is around for at least a few more episodes.

Good news... Guess we'll see what Season 7 brings on that front. :D

On another topic based on my random thoughts on all this...

I wonder at this point if Cersei truly still "loves" Jaimie, or if she is simply using him as a means to an end at this point? I suppose the reverse could be true, but Jaimie still seems to be all in on that relationship, but can see where his feelings will be challenged in things to come....

Dude, it sounds like I'm talking about a soap opera with the ladies at high tea!!! LOL!! :D

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, also curious as to who Sansa wrote the letter requesting aid to?

And as a Non-Book Reader looking ahead... This whole thing really ALMOST seems like it boils down to two things...

1) Do the men and kingdoms stop quarreling in time to face the threat of the dead.

and

2) To that end, three dragons would be a MAJOR help in fighting them (I'd say even tilting the odds heavily in the favor of the living... Fire being a key component in killing Wights), so do they survive long enough to be useful in that fight?

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...And Jaimie taking over the siege of RiverRun was amusing... So many moving parts there that I wonder how this all will play out... Looks from the preview of the next episode that he does meet with Brienne somehow, so that should clarify where this will all go ultimately.

Loved that episode. I had missed Bad-Ass Jamie. He came back.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*Lady (not Queen) of Bear Island

Did you notice/realize that she is Jorah's first cousin? :) (She is the daughter of Jorah's father's sister.)

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are both excellent candidates, but for me the difference is Joffery's sense of entitlement that put him over the top. He certainly believes that he was better than literally everyone just because his inbred royal family keeps telling him so.

The other candidate is just as bad or possibly even worse in some respects but he certainly has quite the opposite in regards to sticking his nose in the air and ordering everyone around. In fact I kind of respect him for being willing to get his hands dirty by comparision to Joffery.
I agree. Plus I wanted to smack that kid before he ever even said a word.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Lady (not Queen) of Bear Island

Did you notice/realize that she is Jorah's first cousin? :) (She is the daughter of Jorah's father's sister.)

I did not know that... I figured being a Mormont, she was related somehow though...

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All done... While Ramsay's demise was welcome, I still wanted something more epic... Liked that Sansa recognized that there was NO way they were getting Rickon back alive. That was kind of my assessment going into it as well... Ramsay isn't one to negotiate that kind of thing and Rickon is a direct threat to Ramsay's claim to Winterfell, so..... Yeah.

Had to read up on the significance of Brann's vision regarding Jon Snow... Oh... WOW!!! Okay, so the question wasn't just about his mother, eh? But I was kind of accidentally right about him having Targaeryan blood, so... Bonus for Payton! ;) I don't know though, this "King in the North" thing hasn't been going so well of late. Maybe try a different title?

Baelish... Good of him to come, but can't see Sansa going for that unless it was part of the deal to acquire his help in defeating Ramsay. Obviously attacking the Boltons is in direct conflict with the Lannisters, so he seems to have made a choice for now...

Cersei... Interesting solution to the Sparrow problem... LOL!!! I can't see her surviving for long as queen though. Lots o' forces aligning against her... Won't really miss anyone that died there except Margaery, she deserved better.. :D

Daenarys... Finally... Full-on woody at the closing scene of her, Tyrion and Verys on the ship sailing toward Westeros...

I was really really tense during the last episode wondering if Tyrion was going to make it. I thought I'd heard somewhere a comment that made it seem to me that he was gone by the end of Season 6. Glad to see that's not true...

Honestly, that is what makes this show great. No character is safe. You cannot think, "Wonder how he/she is going to get out of this one. Obviously they won't let that character die, so...". That was the brilliance of Season 1 when Nedd ate it. Did NOT see that coming. Was just like, something or someone is going to swoop in and save him, and then...... CHOP!!!! That is when I knew I was watching something different. I realize its following the books, but still....

The Iron Isles are the confusing part to me right now. Wondering where the new King there goes since his original plan was to allied with Daenarys, but Yara and Theon got there first? Hmmmmm...

Anyway, its nice to be all caught up (Though a little bitter sweet) so I can talk with the rest of youse guys over in the other thread now...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you get the Arya 'pie-off' joke .

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you get the Arya 'pie-off' joke .

Yup... :D Regarding Arya though. She has somehow while deciding to NOT become a "Faceless Man", managed to gain the powers of being one? (The ability to disguise herself in that fashion?).

Is this something the books go into, or are we just supposed to assume it is an acquired skill that she can take with her?

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG, and in my whole commentary on the final couple of episodes I left that out with Arya!

Probably my favorite death/killing of the series up to now... TTFN Walder! :D

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this something the books go into, or are we just supposed to assume it is an acquired skill that she can take with her?

Yeah, it's an acquired skill.

Though, in the books, it isn't Arya who bakes the pies, but Wyman Manderly (the fat northern lord who is the first to formally proclaim Jon Snow "King in the North"; both his body weight and his role get downgraded/minimized a lot from the books, wherein he's quite the badass), and the pies aren't fed to Walder Frey, who's still alive, but to several other Red Wedding conspirators, most notably Roose Bolton.

That's why you'll sometimes hear fans refer to "Manderly the Cook" and his "Manderly Pies" instead of "Arya the Cook" and her "Arya Pies":

PTrbSfx.png

main-qimg-fba87aa86126a2922eba6c5e488653e9-c

tumblr_mklrxugacl1r3jfwto1_500.png

Last edited: