• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

See Game of Thrones for the First Time Again: Through My Eyes

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, well I want to talk about this damn show but since everyone else has watched 6 seasons of it and I have just finished watching season 1? I will talk to myself... YES THERE ARE SPOILERS IF YOU ARE READING THIS AND HAVEN'T WATCHED!!! And I'm just gonna spout off random thoughts as I go along so...

-Cool show and I'm enjoying it... One thing that I find truly ballsy about it from the vantage point of the producers is killing off two of their most likeable and well-developed characters in the first season...

-I figured Ned as like the "Rick Grimes" character that would be with us for the entire show... Oops... And Drogo? Awww man... That sucked! However, I can see the "Phoenix Rising from the Ashes" on that one with Daenerys...

-Speaking of Daenerys, I liked her from the start and her development obviously has a TON of plot invested in it and obviously the birth of the dragons comes into major play down the road.

-Yes, the death of Viserys was probably my favorite moment of Season 1... Little whiney bitch! :D

-This show does an excellent job of making me go back and forth on liking or disliking characters... I have a good sense of empathy, so I can usually see things from the eyes of particular characters and understand their motivations... As of now, however, I hate the Lannisters and don't see them being very redeemable. The lone exception being Tyrion (The Imp). Very artfully done character. You hate him when he's mingling with those outside his family, and I actually kind of like him/feel sorry for him when he's WITH his family... Very complex character. Well done.

-Back to Daenerys for a moment... I can see her being the one to root for in all of this, but can also see her turning over into a vengeful douche... But as of now I'm still on her side.

-Robb... JUST KILL JAIME ALREADY!!! This is the plot piece that is going to drive me nuts I think... Joffrey lopped off your father's head and you have the wunderkind of the Lannisters held captive. SEND HIS HEAD TO JOFFREY AND CERSEI ... Ugh... Jaime is gonna be that fucker who lives that you just hate hate hate and can't wait for him to die, isn't he?

-Jon Snow... Eh, the Wall Arc is kind of the least interesting at the moment, but looks like it picks up next season...

-Baelish... Oh this dude's smug little court jester face needs to be re-arranged. Dude's appearance just screams "WEASEL!!!"... And I guess by selling out Ned, he pretty much IS a weasel..

-Cersei - Very unlikable at the moment of course... All this because you're doing your twin brother? Really?!!!

-Joffrey - Obviously the resident f**kstick of the show. This is what happens when you don't spank your children... Anything short of an eventual drawing and quartering will be a MAJOR disappointment.

-Sansa - She's going to sell out her family to be queen still, isn't she?... She still seems conflicted even though she watched Joffrey have her father executed and then made her stare at his head on a pike...

-Arya - She's going to develop into a little ass-kicker methinks...

Catelyn - Honestly, she's important, but I don't much care what happens to her...

Robb - I want him to win of course, but I think he's the least developed of the main characters. is that because he isn't going to be around long? Or is the entire point of Ned's death to bring him for the forefront? Don't know, but in the early going I frankly had him confused with the other three brothers/bastards and half-brothers in Winterfell... But hey, he's now "King of the North", so... Go Robb!!!

All that said, MAN this show is graphic!!! Was going to wait and have this be one I watched with my wife, but with all the boobs flying around and gratuitous sex? Nah, I'll save it for myself... LOL!!!

Oh, and Tyrion's Ho is the hottest at the moment... I like how he's defying Tywen and bringing her to King's Landing anyway... :D

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and Tyrion's Ho is the hottest at the moment... I like how he's defying Tywen and bringing her to King's Landing anyway... :D
I recommend you do a google search on the actress with adult filter turned off. You may be surprised at what you find...

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly won't spoil your watching experience for the subsequent seasons, only to say that if you're surprised with how they killed off 2 main characters in season 1, you're in for a lot more surprises. George RR Martin is notorious for bloodshed and main/favorite characters are never safe!

The first several seasons of the show pretty much followed the path of the first several books, with of course, license to modify fitting the main plot points into a TV show. Each book is around 900 pages or so long, which would take over 30 hours to read (listen to), so there has to be some things left out. Like many, we wish that they would have included some other book material into the show, but I think they did a very good job. They had to combine book characters into one show character a few times and their subsequent story arcs, but that's certainly understandable. Glad GRRM held out for a TV series rather than a movie (trilogy) adaption, as there is just too much to condense for a movie franchise.

GRRM was also very integral to the show and those in charge of the show know the direction of the final outcome, even though the last couple books aren't finished yet. While the side stories between the show and book will differ after season 5 on out, it should hold the main theme/outcome. Still giving those of us that watch the show and have read the first 5 books something to look forward to in both formats.

After viewing the show, I would encourage you to read the books (I bought Kindle editions for $6-7 each), but if you think you won't read them due to the length, I would suggest reading one of GRRM's novellas - "The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms". This is a combination of 3 short stories set about 100 years prior to GoT, that set up some back story spoken of in the GoT books/show. I got that as an audible edition and takes about 7.5 hours to listen to all 3 stories.

"The World of Ice and Fire - The Untold History of Westeros" is another audible book I listened to, but was over 20 hours. GRRM helped the writers put together the real backstory of how the Tarq. dynasty got started along with the history of the major houses. Sometimes dull, but if you eventually get really deep into the GoT universe, it's worth a read/listen.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recommend you do a google search on the actress with adult filter turned off. You may be surprised at what you find...

Uh oh.. Please don't tell me "She" is a "He"... LOL!!!

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BURN THEM ALL!

200.webp

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ah, pr0n actress... Nice!!!

Can I pick 'em or what?!!

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be fun! I've read every ASOIAF book, The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and I'm almost through The World of Ice & Fire.

When you are ready, I recommend this dude's webcasts where he explains book backstories and discusses the show.

Alt Shift X

You should also most definitely watch the DVD extras. You can go season-by-season if you like. Here are the ones from Season One.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be fun! I've read every ASOIAF book, The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and I'm almost through The World of Ice & Fire.

When you are ready, I recommend this dude's webcasts where he explains book backstories and discusses the show.

Alt Shift X

You should also most definitely watch the DVD extras. You can go season-by-season if you like. Here are the ones from Season One.

Considering it looks like you're as into ASOIAF as myself, you may be interested in a game/app called "Game of Thrones Ascent". You essentially choose your background (hedgeknight, noble born, etc.) and you start building your own house/holdings. You can join alliances to take part in "wars" to gain rewards, build/craft materials to make your character stronger, participate in story line arcs called "tales" to gain additional rewards, etc. I found the game about a year ago and spend a little bit of time on it daily. When it comes to the "wars" (called AvA), it takes some more time, but an interesting game for those that really enjoy ASOIAF and like a little role playing/"farmville"-type game.

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering it looks like you're as into ASOIAF as myself, you may be interested in a game/app called "Game of Thrones Ascent". You essentially choose your background (hedgeknight, noble born, etc.) and you start building your own house/holdings. You can join alliances to take part in "wars" to gain rewards, build/craft materials to make your character stronger, participate in story line arcs called "tales" to gain additional rewards, etc. I found the game about a year ago and spend a little bit of time on it daily. When it comes to the "wars" (called AvA), it takes some more time, but an interesting game for those that really enjoy ASOIAF and like a little role playing/"farmville"-type game.
Oh I have. I played it quite a while until I got too busy to continue. It's good fun. I've also played the Xbox GOT game.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I have. I played it quite a while until I got too busy to continue. It's good fun. I've also played the Xbox GOT game.

For some reason, I figured you would have already played it at some point. It can be addicting, especially with AvA and tales, but with young kids, I try to stay off it as much as possible when they're home. That doesn't mean I don't send a wave or two in AvA while we're doing other things at the house.

If you ever get back into it, let me know. I'm not in one of the "major" alliances, but we've won a couple titles previously and are pretty laid back and "family oriented".

I don't have an Xbox, nor a Playstation anymore. I do have a first generation Wii, but doubt that there is a GoT game available there.....pretty much play Tiger Woods golf (2010) and the basic sports game whenever we do play (rarely now with the little kids).

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the OP: I've been rewatching the HBO series and almost finished the last couple episodes of Season 6. While I'll still be a few months between this watching and the start of Season 7, you should probably end your marathon right before Season 7 starts and be able to continue right into it. Granted, this all depends on the pace that you watch, but if you go down that rabbit hole, I'm sure you're likely to finish all 6 seasons early as well.

Definitely one of the better shows out there in my opinion, with big money going into the production.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that said, MAN this show is graphic!!! Was going to wait and have this be one I watched with my wife, but with all the boobs flying around and gratuitous sex? Nah, I'll save it for myself... LOL!!!

I'm about halfway through watching season one, myself, so I'm way behind the times like you are. I read all five books first.

I hear you on the "graphic" piece. I think some of the blood/guts scenes are just a little too much. The wife doesn't care to watch any of it and the kids are too young, so I have to sneak viewing it on a laptop when no one else is gonna walk in on me. I don't mind the sex scenes until it's Renly and Loras, then I fast forward a bit...

Having read the books, I sort of know most of what's going to happen, even though the shows don't follow the books all that closely in some arcs.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nudity is very prevalent in the first few seasons of the show, but then lightens up. I thought the first few seasons were written by a 13 year old boy at some points, with every 5-10 minutes filled with T&A. The blood and guts is a constant throughout the series though. Politics in this "age" was very much related to violence/war. Regardless of the T&A and blood and gore, the actual plots/subplots are very well written and prove to be of great interest to many viewpoints. Characters transition from being the "good guy" to the "bad guy" and back and forth, very much like real life and the viewpoints in which you observe the actions.

My daughter was born a little over a couple years ago and around the same time we switched providers and got HBO for free for 2 years. Since my wife and I were both working, we'd take shifts being up to watch/feed the girl overnight, since her crib was in the living room at the time and she had issues with acid reflux. She'd have the 1st shift from 10pm-2am and I'd wake up and take the rest of the morning (coffee was my friend). That's when I first got into GoT, as they were doing the marathon lead up to the next season on demand (xfinity). Within that week, I watched the first 4 seasons and finished season 4 with 1.5 hours before season 5 started that Sunday night. I was so hooked, that I went and bought the Kindle edition books and that's what I read during those early morning hours from then on out.

Then got the other books mentioned previously on audible for our trips to NJ to visit family and Disney for vacation (which the Knight of the Seven Kingdoms fits pretty well starting in VA) . This has led me down other fantasy authors to fill the void before the next ASOIAF book, but have really enjoyed those that I have found (the KingKiller Cronicles by Patrick Rothfuss - 2 out of 3 books published as an example). However, I'm still eagerly anticipating Winds of Winter!......along with the 3rd part of KingKiller Cronicles....whichever comes first.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm about halfway through watching season one, myself, so I'm way behind the times like you are. I read all five books first.

I hear you on the "graphic" piece. I think some of the blood/guts scenes are just a little too much. The wife doesn't care to watch any of it and the kids are too young, so I have to sneak viewing it on a laptop when no one else is gonna walk in on me. I don't mind the sex scenes until it's Renly and Loras, then I fast forward a bit...

Having read the books, I sort of know most of what's going to happen, even though the shows don't follow the books all that closely in some arcs.

Well yeah, I personally don't mind the sex scenes (Not sure who Renly and Loras are?), but in the first or second episode when Drogos folks were just bangin' away during the wedding and such, I was like, "Yeahhhhhh, probably not one the wife would care for..".. LOL!!!

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nudity is very prevalent in the first few seasons of the show, but then lightens up. I thought the first few seasons were written by a 13 year old boy at some points, with every 5-10 minutes filled with T&A. The blood and guts is a constant throughout the series though. Politics in this "age" was very much related to violence/war. Regardless of the T&A and blood and gore, the actual plots/subplots are very well written and prove to be of great interest to many viewpoints. Characters transition from being the "good guy" to the "bad guy" and back and forth, very much like real life and the viewpoints in which you observe the actions.

Oh yeah, I figure the graphic nature is a more authentic view of the time period/age they are portraying and I'm cool with it...

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried starting this series for the third time now, just can't seem to get into it. I read the first three books, and gave them, in order, 4/5, 3.5/5, and 3/5 stars. Pretty good, but nothing to marvel at like everyone does.

I just don't like the atmosphere, which is weird because everyone else loves it. It's too dark and dismal most of the time, and I just can't seem to relate to it. I'll take Albuquerque, Baltimore, or Atlantic City any day of the week over Westeros.

Also, the lack of interesting character's screen time bothers me. I got through the first season about a year ago, and felt like there was too much Jon Snow, Lord Renly, and Joffrey; and not enough Tyrion, Daenerys, and Little Finger. Just my two scents.

I'll probably read the fourth book in the next couple of months, but I heard it's the worst of the series