• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC will now allow grad transfers to transfer in conference immediately.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone post the number of grad transfers per year yet, nationally, and where did they go.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, what’s the argument for not allowing them to transfer after they graduate?
Graduating from minor league sports is typically to the professional ranks?

The SEC isn't really "college".

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean graduating in advanced tiddlywinks is still graduating.
There is an art form to get a tiddly to wink. It takes semesters to master the art.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Students with a diploma have fulfilled their end of the contract.

Ummm that's backwards.

The students end of the deal is they play football and sign over their amateur career to the school/NCAA.

The schools end of the deal is they provide the education.

If the student has graduated, then it's the school that has kept up their end of the deal. The football career is still left unpaid for.

Especially considering the schools put in tons of effort in getting these kids to class and graduating early.

The whole grad student thing is they are supposed to have a grad program that the original school doesn't offer, has nothing to do with somehow filling a contract.

If they want to allow it to happen, then that's fine. But people seem to have a warped sense of who is owed what these days.

Btw, contracts being fulfilled and being free to go anywhere is the definition of free agency.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went looking and found this.
No idea if it's accurate or whatever.

Shows about 120 Grad transfers.
Looks to be maybe 7-10 who moved up to way better schools.
The vast majority look to be lateral moves or downward moves.

You decide.

2018 Committed Transfers

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only shock about Oregon being on that list is they only have 4 this year.

Seriously, they have become grad tran U in the Pac.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went looking and found this.
No idea if it's accurate or whatever.

Shows about 120 Grad transfers.
Looks to be maybe 7-10 who moved up to way better schools.
The vast majority look to be lateral moves or downward moves.

You decide.

2018 Committed Transfers

Yeah, if we were ranking them like a recruiting service, the top few there would be like 4 and 5 star recruits, and then 3 star and under for the majority of them.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^ Isn't the only reason we call them a bunch of trannies

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dallas Warmack was the transfer to Oregon I couldn't think of before. He's the little brother to Chance Warmack who played at Alabama and is in the NFL.

Probably a good pickup for Oregon compared to their normal lineman.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm that's backwards.

The students end of the deal is they play football and sign over their amateur career to the school/NCAA.

If the student has graduated, then it's the school that has kept up their end of the deal. The football career is still left unpaid for.

Especially considering the schools put in tons of effort in getting these kids to class and graduating early.

The whole grad student thing is they are supposed to have a grad program that the original school doesn't offer, has nothing to do with somehow filling a contract.

If they want to allow it to happen, then that's fine. But people seem to have a warped sense of who is owed what these days.

Btw, contracts being fulfilled and being free to go anywhere is the definition of free agency.

If the student got an education and graduated while playing football, then both parties kept their end of the deal.
If the student still has eligibility left, then I can see why entering a new contract with a different school would seem reasonable.
They could have just changed the rule to be eligibility is tied to one school and make the issue go away.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the student got an education and graduated while playing football, then both parties kept their end of the deal.
If the student still has eligibility left, then I can see why entering a new contract with a different school would seem reasonable.
They could have just changed the rule to be eligibility is tied to one school and make the issue go away.
Then they need to also force the school to be tied to the player for the last year. Plenty of teams push away players who have graduated to move on.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NCAA does that already.

They'll let you play immediately at another school if you have
graduated from your first school. However, they do have the
caveat that it must be in an area that the first school doesn't
offer a Master's Degree.

The SEC, however, had a Conf rule that a grad student would still
have to sit a year before playing sports at a new SEC school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see how a kid graduating is keeping up his end of the deal. Like...not even a little. It's good for them and all that, but that was their reward.

And the rule to be eligible is tied to one school, unless they sit a year. They aren't just allowed to transfer anywhere because they graduated, they have to go to a school where the grad program isn't offered at the previous school. Which obviously isn't a hard loophole to hit, but that's the technicalities of it.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how a kid graduating is keeping up his end of the deal. Like...not even a little. It's good for them and all that, but that was their reward.

Ok, so what wa

The student's end of the deal is to play football while getting an education.

Education done = football done

If the kid has eligibility left and want more education from another school, that's between the kid and the other school.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so what wa

The student's end of the deal is to play football while getting an education.

Education done = football done

If the kid has eligibility left and want more education from another school, that's between the kid and the other school.

But it's not "Education done = football done", because they are transferring to another school. Which is why they have to have a grad program not at the original program to qualify. Otherwise they have to stay at their current school.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it's not "Education done = football done", because they are transferring to another school. Which is why they have to have a grad program not at the original program to qualify. Otherwise they have to stay at their current school.

Weren’t you one of the ones that stated scholarships are yearly contracts? That is contradicting what you are stating now.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren’t you one of the ones that stated scholarships are yearly contracts? That is contradicting what you are stating now.

Scholarships are yearly, the rules of the NCAA are not.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scholarships are yearly, the rules of the NCAA are not.

Rules of the NCAA?

If we are arguing a scholarship is a one year commitment then a prospect is more than living up to the commitment that he signed up for, regardless if that is 3 years or 4 if he graduates. How would it not be?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rules of the NCAA?

If we are arguing a scholarship is a one year commitment then a prospect is more than living up to the commitment that he signed up for, regardless if that is 3 years or 4 if he graduates. How would it not be?

They can transfer if they want, but they have to sit out a year because of NCAA rules...