• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC Expansion Discussion......Just Because

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First, Ballboy talked me into checking this place out because the new ESPN boards are really bad. So I will give it a shot. This is a repost of a subject I posted over there.

I really thought this topic was finished for now, but the subject of the SEC being in talks wtih Texas A & M is apparently in discussion. If they did that, another team would have to be added to balance the league. Here are the teams in addition to TAMU that are on the watch list:

UCF

FSU

GT

CLEMSON

NC State

VT

Of these schools, Clemson is the only one that doesn't "help" the SEC because of media money. VT and NC State offer the NC or Virginia/DC market. I think Virginia politics would eliminate VT. Although UCF offers an Orlando road trip, I cannot imagine Florida enabling UCF to become a threat to thier recruiting. Believe it or not, NC State makes the most sense becasue of the Raliegh/Charlotte market that has no SEC influence along with good facilities and a strong fan base. Also, I don't think NC State is a threat to existing SEC schools

As "Cool" as it may sound being in a 14 team SEC, you are just about elimated from competeing for BCS bowls unless something drastic. 14 is too many.

The Big East is about to get a new TV contract next year that will be enormous and if the ACC loses a team or 2, then financially, I wonder if the Big East could be a good destination?

Let's toss this around as a pre-seasno warm up.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC needs to stick together and make a push of their own...scoop in and grab Pitt and WVU and see how the Big Ten responds.

Pitt is on the Big Ten radar but not in their top 4....so scoop them up before someone has a chance totell the Big Ten no....

Also, approach ND. There is nothing to lose in opening discussions with them.

Pitt provides history, great academics, nat titles, heisman trophy winners, a big market in a fertile recruiting ground and awesome facilities (Heinz Field). Also, imagine that basketball conference.

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have mixed reservations. I think a conference can be too big. with a 14-16 team league, even the best schools in that league will miss out on a BCS game or a league title because they will be picking themselves off. I totally get the need for more money in order to have better facilities to attract better recruits, but I don't want to be there strictly to draw a check.

The only "non-monetary" reason being in the SEC would be great is because we would get UGa on our schedule again along with some other good schools.

Although I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt the SEC wants us, they do seem to be striving to hook us up with a lot of SEC games. 2 times with Auburn then a want us to start the season off with them next year?..........We may not have the TV market, be asses with be put in seats so who knows?

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed reservations. I think a conference can be too big. with a 14-16 team league, even the best schools in that league will miss out on a BCS game or a league title because they will be picking themselves off. I totally get the need for more money in order to have better facilities to attract better recruits, but I don't want to be there strictly to draw a check.

I don't necessarily follow your BCS argument. I doubt they'd be playing any more conference games than they already do now, in some cases it may even help some schools. Look at the teams in the east. If they were to play 6 teams in their division, that would leave 2 (maybe 3 if they did increase the amount of conf. games) two open spots for teams out of the West. If a team is lucky, they could avoid Bama, LSU, Arkansas in one year.

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do you really think in a 14-16 team conference that a typical 8-game conference scheduled is going to be enough? If that is the case, then like you suggest, it becomes a matter of you who don't play that matters and the is not helthy in a competitive league. The SEC woul need to have at the very minimum a 9 conference game schedule. If you cannot even play half the league, you have nothing.

Now you may very well be right, but I think I am also.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really think in a 14-16 team conference that a typical 8-game conference scheduled is going to be enough? If that is the case, then like you suggest, it becomes a matter of you who don't play that matters and the is not helthy in a competitive league. The SEC woul need to have at the very minimum a 9 conference game schedule. If you cannot even play half the league, you have nothing.

Now you may very well be right, but I think I am also.

I just don't know HOW a conference schedule in a 14/16 team conference would work, which is why I posted this. I agree with you that they should increase the amount of conference games, but I don't think they will because they make a lot of money from scheduling those piss poor teams. Add in they would be removing guaranteed wins and I just don't see them being too enthusiastic about doing it.

And I don't see where I ever questioned your intelligence.

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't know HOW a conference schedule in a 14/16 team conference would work, which is why I posted this. I agree with you that they should increase the amount of conference games, but I don't think they will because they make a lot of money from scheduling those piss poor teams. Add in they would be removing guaranteed wins and I just don't see them being too enthusiastic about doing it.

And I don't see where I ever questioned your intelligence.

After re-reading, I think we are on the same page.....My BCS comment was where I think we are not quite there. Because of the current 2 team per confernece limit, a 14-16 team conference becomes a real problem. you could have 4-5 teams with at least 10 wins. We don't need another UConn situation occur.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If A&M bolts for the SEC, it will be interesting to see what teams they go after next. If Doug Gottlieb's source is correct, the ACC will have to pilfer Pitt and WVU just ton stay competitive, because with Clemson and FSU gone, that leaves VT and possibly Miami (if they can return to past form) to carry the banner for the Carolina conference. I could see the ACC pursuing Pitt, WVU, ECU, Rutgers, or Notre Dame, but the Big East would likely be done as a football conference if Clemson and FSU get invites to the SEC. I just don't see any team turning down the option to join if they're invited, and I for one would love any option that involves us leaving a conference that has no vision nor desire to actually advance football.

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If A&M bolts for the SEC, it will be interesting to see what teams they go after next. If Doug Gottlieb's source is correct, the ACC will have to pilfer Pitt and WVU just ton stay competitive, because with Clemson and FSU gone, that leaves VT and possibly Miami (if they can return to past form) to carry the banner for the Carolina conference. I could see the ACC pursuing Pitt, WVU, ECU, Rutgers, or Notre Dame, but the Big East would likely be done as a football conference if Clemson and FSU get invites to the SEC. I just don't see any team turning down the option to join if they're invited, and I for one would love any option that involves us leaving a conference that has no vision nor desire to actually advance football.

Well, I think the Big East could be a bigger winner than you think. If the Big 8 Falls apart, many of those schools could bolt to the Big East and that could be significant. I think Oklahoma and Okla. State would bolt to the Pac 12, but I could also see them moving EAST.....Also, the Big East will be renogiating a new TV contract next year.....

I don't like the ACC. I think they have not as a whole be against us (speaking mainly of the NC Schools).....I am not sure a Big East option wouldn't be an option if the SEC only goes to 14 and we are left out.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I basically agree with Clemscott, and I'll go even further to say that 12 is already too many teams. I prefer 10, where you actually play every member of your conference every season. 12 works with the CCG, but more than that and you really become 2 conferences because you don't play the teams in the other division enough. I hope the SEC votes to deny A&M and send them back home crying.
Of course, I did grad school at Texas, so I'm a little biased...

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more about conference size; IMO, it should be capped at 12. The way the ACC, SEC, Pac-12, and B(1)G T(W)E(LVE)N are set up is already too big.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they don't come to the sec,we're loooooooaded as it is just about every yr.And besides,Wildcats don't need any other team in there way of a sec championship!!!:yo: UK!!!!!

_clemscott_

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have had a little time to digest this and I am just as unsure of things as before. I want to move my comments into the direction of the SEC only taking one ACC team that is NOT Clemson.

If the ACC loses one school, then what does Clemson and the ACC do?

First, I think the ACC would almost have to get 14 teams to survive. Other conference will move into super-size formatt and the ACC may have no choice. Here are my Candidates:

1. UCF: This is my top choice if FSU goes. Orlando is a great road trip, UCF is a big school with a new stadium and it would be good for the ACC to have 2 Florida Schools

2. USF: Another good program, but I like UCF better

3. WVU: The big argument seems to be about academics. This is about survival and WVU's academics would probably improve in the ACC. Not to mention they play good football.

4. Pitt: Another great choice. Good academics, good sports and in the Pennsylvania recruiting lanes.

There are more, but these are my favs...

No for Clemson's future scheduling.

If the SEC doesn't want us then we need to stop scheduling them and seek other leagues such as the Big 10, Big 12, Mtn West, ETC.......I see no need in giving the SEC money making games if they don't want us in their club. It has been my opinion that these SEC vs Clemson games have been dress rehersals for joining the SEC. We haven't won a lot, but we have provided good quality games.....

Huetrang

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re:

I was just thinking about this. For different reasons though.