• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SEC bias myth debunked

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this was interesting. You'd never know it based on what people claim everywhere about "SEC Bias".

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sec-dominates-rankings-calls-secbias-rise-215214995--ncaaf.html

In this article, it hits the often claimed stat that when a SEC team beats another SEC team, they rise in the rankings, while when losing they don't drop at all. Is that the reality? Nope.

After a conference win, SEC teams rise an average of 2.8 spots - and keep in mind this is with teams like Miss St and Ole Miss rising a ton. But this isn't actually the most in college football. The Big12 actually has risen the most after a conference win - 3.1 spots. Pac12 - 2.3 spots, slightly lower than the SEC. And the Big10 is lower @ 1.7 spots. The ACC is lowest with only 0.4, because they don't have many ranked teams and Florida St has no where to rise too.

So anyone who claims the SEC gets some kind of extra credit for conference wins is full of shit.

What about when we lose to each other? The SEC is actually tied with the Pac12 for dropping the most of all conferences, with an average of 7.5 spots dropped. The Big12 is next in line, with an average of 7.0 spots, followed by the Big10 with 5.5 and the ACC with 4.3

So once again, contrary to popular belief among the whiners, the data actually suggests the opposite of their claims.

Apparently they also went back 5 years on this data and never found any actual bias. Which honestly isn't that surprising because the AP voters are actually divided up evenly among the states. Texas gets the most voters with 4, California with 3, etc. Most states get 1. All to prevent regional bias. Yet even the states that have the biggest fan outcry have 3 or more SEC teams in their top5.

I wonder what excuses they will come up with next.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised at all. All the coaches who perpetuate this myth need to recruit better players; the players that overwhelmingly choose to go to the SEC.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bks and the OU/UT fans aren't gonna like that link at all.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bks and the OU/UT fans aren't gonna like that link at all.

I just wonder what excuse they will come up with next. There is no way they will every except the reality. Especially types like BKS and ElTardo.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wonder what excuse they will come up with next. There is no way they will every except the reality. Especially types like BKS and ElTardo.

I'm actually surprised bks isn't a Bama fan these days, he's the king of the bandwagoners.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They will always spin up some bullshit that discredits the facts, it's no use trying to have a logical conversation with them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, and that clown Yeodonie as well. Never mind Oregon got their chance against one of the weakest teams the SEC has sent to the NCG in 2010 and they choked.

I once upon a time actually liked Oregon. I have an online friend that I've known for over 10 years who is a big Ducks fan, goes to their games often and so on. He's nothing like the ducks fans around here and never complains. I like to see Oregon win usually because of him, but other fans make it pretty difficult.