• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks, Duane Brown reach 3-year

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, good start.
Clark...…
Lockett....

Earl.....

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good contract if he plays at a high level and provides stability which the team hasn't had since Okung left

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no coincidence that the guy that shows up to work, a vocal leader, and a good role model for younger players is the one who gets signed. Unlike a certain safety that doesnt want to show up to work until he is made the highest paid safety in the league on a multi year deal

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clearly an overpay IMO... $12M for Brown who is going to be 33 and has seen his best days behind him.

That said, Brown improved the whole O-Line once he came and was a bit out of condition given his holdout, so I expect him to play on par with last year which should continue to help the younger cast we have (along with Britt). Seattle is desperate to get the run game going and protect Wilson so it's not really a surprise they'd overpay by $2-3M per year. $16M guaranteed is not bad and Lewan/Matthews just signed massive contracts, so the market for blindside protectors is surging. Regardless, I think Walter Football graded a bit too harshly with a C grade.

On a side note, I'm a little concerned Brown showed clear frustration with Wilson scrambling and not allowing a pocket to develop, but perhaps an offseason will help. HOPEFULLY Brown isn't just cashing in and going to loaf it the next 3 years... Regardless, wouldn't surprise me if Brown gets lazy and 'whatever mode' given Seattle is not a Super Bowl contender at the moment.

B- grade. Seattle was out of options at OT and already traded a 3rd rounder for Brown. They lost Richardson so keeping one of the vets where depth is thin was of the upmost importance. I can't give Seattle a bargain grade and $10M is a lot for a 33 year old OT whose best days are behind him... I'll give this in the B range with a B- given Seattle's situation, free cap room in 2019, and the contract isn't too outlandish with a good chunk of guaranteed likely behind them in 2018.

Last edited:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a bit more than expected but I am guessing it is structured as a 2 year deal with the third added for cap purposes to spread out the bonus.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike a certain safety that doesnt want to show up to work until he is made the highest paid safety in the league on a multi year deal

Why retcon history?

Earl has been nothing but a consumate pro all his years as a Hawk.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who ELSE skipped training camp and held out?

Walter effing Jones.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why retcon history?

Earl has been nothing but a consumate pro all his years as a Hawk.

Its all about what you have done for me lately, just because he played as a pro bowl safety doesnt mean he can do whatever he pleases and hold the seahawks hostage. Its one thing to ask for a trade but its another to demand a trade to a certain team and now that team wants to low ball an offer to the hawks allowing no other team to enter bid because they worry they will lose return on investment

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its all about what you have done for me lately, just because he played as a pro bowl safety doesnt mean he can do whatever he pleases and hold the seahawks hostage.

I guess if you're determined to be butthurt, go ahead.

It DOES make a difference who you are, and what your history is.

AGAIN, Walter routinely skipped training camp, and sat out, and he's an all-timer.

Thomas is playing the only card he has to play. Julio Jones played that card this year too.

<shrug>

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clearly an overpay IMO... $12M for Brown who is going to be 33 and has seen his best days behind him.

That said, Brown improved the whole O-Line once he came and was a bit out of condition given his holdout, so I expect him to play on par with last year which should continue to help the younger cast we have (along with Britt). Seattle is desperate to get the run game going and protect Wilson so it's not really a surprise they'd overpay by $2-3M per year. $16M guaranteed is not bad and Lewan/Matthews just signed massive contracts, so the market for blindside protectors is surging. Regardless, I think Walter Football graded a bit too harshly with a C grade.

On a side note, I'm a little concerned Brown showed clear frustration with Wilson scrambling and not allowing a pocket to develop, but perhaps an offseason will help. HOPEFULLY Brown isn't just cashing in and going to loaf it the next 3 years... Regardless, wouldn't surprise me if Brown gets lazy and 'whatever mode' given Seattle is not a Super Bowl contender at the moment.

B- grade. Seattle was out of options at OT and already traded a 3rd rounder for Brown. They lost Richardson so keeping one of the vets where depth is thin was of the upmost importance. I can't give Seattle a bargain grade and $10M is a lot for a 33 year old OT whose best days are behind him... I'll give this in the B range with a B- given Seattle's situation, free cap room in 2019, and the contract isn't too outlandish with a good chunk of guaranteed likely behind them in 2018.

I don't view it as overpaid... He's ranked 12th in the NFL for paid LT's now... It's not like he's paid top 5... A veteran presence, teacher and the fact he can still play is very valuable for our OL... He had to be our priority imo...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't view it as overpaid... He's ranked 12th in the NFL for paid LT's now... It's not like he's paid top 5... A veteran presence, teacher and the fact he can still play is very valuable for our OL... He had to be our priority imo...

I mean IMO it's not a drastic overpay... but still an overpay. That said, no surprise Seattle had to pay a bit of a premium to lock up Brown due to the draft pick given up, shortage of solid OTs, and the depth on the O-Line. B- isn't terrible... he's 33 (not great) and $12M per is quite a bit... but still a positive signing overall (not C- below). It's not stupid ass Jeremy Lane.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who ELSE skipped training camp and held out?

Walter effing Jones.

Some of the reason for him holding out is he didn't have a contract in place at the time... I don't believe you can practice without a contract...He continued to reject the Hawks offer and instead continued to settle for 1 year deals there for a few years...

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess if you're determined to be butthurt, go ahead.

It DOES make a difference who you are, and what your history is.

AGAIN, Walter routinely skipped training camp, and sat out, and he's an all-timer.

Thomas is playing the only card he has to play. Julio Jones played that card this year too.

<shrug>

So I am guessing you are on his side. Do not show up to camp until the hawks make you the highest paid safety in the league. Walter jones did it so I can do it. Shaun Alexander didnt do it, Matt Hasselbeck didnt do it, Steve Largent didnt do it why not model after them?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok lets not forget how Earl Was when he was getting his Last Contract. He said he wouldn't let the financial part of the game get in the way of him playing. When they asked if he would be there he was saying stuff like they can't keep me off the field no matter what. Earl is known to be one of the hardest practicing players on this team but wow something sure has changed i mean heck he went out and lobbied his services to an opponent DURING the season.

Earls Heart is not where it use to be and i think the Hawks feel that.

Great player one of the best FS in the game and now one with a very large swollen head that can't fit in his helmet. A team leader wouldn't have been in the Dallas locker room talking about "come get me". Someone that wants to be a Seahawk wouldn't be in the other teams locker room PERIOD. he doesn't want to be here and thats the end of the story. Only thing that keeps him here is a outlandish contract that NONE of us want trust me.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I am guessing you are on his side. Do not show up to camp until the hawks make you the highest paid safety in the league. Walter jones did it so I can do it. Shaun Alexander didnt do it, Matt Hasselbeck didnt do it, Steve Largent didnt do it why not model after them?

I'm not really on a 'side.' NFL players have the fewest cards to play in their contract disputes.

What I'm trying to express to you is that Thomas has always been a consummate pro, and there's no need to make him out to be some asshole who hasn't put team first his whole career.

If Seattle trades him away, and gets something for him, I'm good with that. If he renegotiates and gets a better deal, I'm good with that too. Just like Julio got an agreement to redo HIS deal.

Would I be happy if he played under his existing deal? Of course I would. I'm not saying he MUST hold out or anything remotely like that. I can just understand WHY he's doing it.

He's got no other cards to play.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok lets not forget how Earl Was when he was getting his Last Contract. He said he wouldn't let the financial part of the game get in the way of him playing. When they asked if he would be there he was saying stuff like they can't keep me off the field no matter what. Earl is known to be one of the hardest practicing players on this team but wow something sure has changed i mean heck he went out and lobbied his services to an opponent DURING the season.

Earls Heart is not where it use to be and i think the Hawks feel that.

Great player one of the best FS in the game and now one with a very large swollen head that can't fit in his helmet. A team leader wouldn't have been in the Dallas locker room talking about "come get me". Someone that wants to be a Seahawk wouldn't be in the other teams locker room PERIOD. he doesn't want to be here and thats the end of the story. Only thing that keeps him here is a outlandish contract that NONE of us want trust me.

Heh, another person who has to gild the lilly. He has a 'swollen' head.

FFS, he's arguably the best safety in football, a safety who has redefined how the position can be played.

He grew up in Texas as a Cowboys fan.

Boo-hoo.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh, another person who has to gild the lilly. He has a 'swollen' head.

FFS, he's arguably the best safety in football, a safety who has redefined how the position can be played.

He grew up in Texas as a Cowboys fan.

Boo-hoo.

A Safety that was caught on TV talking to another teams Head Coach asking them to come get him. Pete Carroll said it best on his interview. We are going forward with the Guys that are "Excited" to be here, that "WANT" to be hear. Thomas showed that wasn't the case when he in a Hawks Uniform right after a game playing for the Hawks thought it was time to sell himself to another team. Love Thomas to death but god that was a ugly move and showed where his loyalty is. Now he is saying Make me the Highest paid FS or trade me.

Had Thomas NOT did that and came to the Hawks they might have had better luck Trading him. As it is now the Cowboys know either we will Resign him or CUT him and at that time they will be Thomas's first choice to visit. By his action he basically made trying to trade him for picks to hard to a team that knew he wanted to play for them and not his current team. Why give up picks when you most likely end up with him for free because he is either released or a free again in 2019. Only way the Cowboys lose is if Thomas Signs with the Hawks and he has shown thats not in his interest.

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Ugly.' Start at your conclusion and work backwards.

Meh.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Ugly.' Start at your conclusion and work backwards.

Meh.

You don't see it? Did i say he sucked? no did i say he was a bad player? No matter of fact Thomas was the one always preaching about honoring his contract before he got his 2nd contract now he is trying to do a 180. Thomas doesn't want to be here so pay those that do want to be here ( Brown ).

This is not rocket science fellas, Thomas really screwed over the Hawks by his action AND gave the middle finger to the fans. Thank you Earl for all the great years, Play your last year here and then don't let the door hit ya where God split ya on the way out.

One Day he will most likely be in the HoF and the Ring of Honor preaching how great it was to be a Seahawk but many will always remember this. Many thought he turned around before they got into the locker room .. nope he went all the way in.