• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2018 offseason thread

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said a few weeks ago that we would not use our 1st on a RB... You said it was, "too Soon"...

im not advocating, i still think 1st round is wasted on RB but this team has shown when they identify a big problem they go and try to find an answer. spent money in FA on lacy last year and it didnt work out. seems like a draft pick is the next logical step.

Have you changed your mind about thinking the Seahawks will trade down?

no i still think we trade down, maybe into the top of the 2nd even, but i just think our first pick could be a RB. im not saying it SHOULD be our first pick, but we should take one on day 2 at least.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team is also looking a new slate of RB's next year, there is an intriguing RB via FA that could turn things around in the right system... Isaiah Crowell is only 25 years old and he could be a possible candidate to compete for the starting RB position next year...
Lacy will for sure be gone, maybe Rawls as well. Would expect Carson, Prosise, and McKissic all to be back. So there will surely be couple new faces in the backfield but not a completely new slate.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure sounds like Cliff Avril is going to be able play again. The punchline, however, may be that it won't be in Seattle. He's in his 30s now, and his cap number for '18 is $8M with potential savings of $7.5M if he's cut. Maybe it's worth a short extension to try to get the cap in a more friendly range, but really hard to see him playing here for 8 mill.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible we tag and trade either sheldon richardson or jimmy graham? would anyone even want to trade for them? or do we let them both walk?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible we tag and trade either sheldon richardson or jimmy graham? would anyone even want to trade for them? or do we let them both walk?
I've seen someone throw this out there previously with these 2 players. If they are not re-signed and then get a big money deal somewhere else, we'll probably get a 3rd round comp pick in 2019. Can we get more value than that (and I'm assuming the team would value a pick in 2018 over a pick for next year on some sliding scale, e.g. a 3rd in '18 may be on par with a 2nd in '19) by a tag and trade? Just not sure.

My preference would be to do a combo; let Graham walk, and do what you can to re-sign Sheldon Richardson.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the cap I say they walk, tagging means they would have expensive salaries so tough to get a player or picks in a trade and tagging means cutting a expensive salary to fit them in the cap.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at the cap I say they walk, tagging means they would have expensive salaries so tough to get a player or picks in a trade and tagging means cutting a expensive salary to fit them in the cap.
Yeah, but you send that big salary off with the player in a trade (no signing bonus to worry about with a tag), and then they work a deal with their new team. Really no ill impact on the cap with a tag and trade.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a team really wants richardson but thinks he will never sign with them, a tag and trade scenario to get that 2nd back could be a good deal for both sides.

problem with the comp pick is having to wait another year, we really need the pick now.

i have to believe that schneider didnt make that trade without some contingency plan, that we either sign him or somehow get picks back. clayton has said $16m per year for him, i dont see any way we make that deal unless we cut most of the older defensive stars.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure sounds like Cliff Avril is going to be able play again. The punchline, however, may be that it won't be in Seattle. He's in his 30s now, and his cap number for '18 is $8M with potential savings of $7.5M if he's cut. Maybe it's worth a short extension to try to get the cap in a more friendly range, but really hard to see him playing here for 8 mill.

Another valid point about Avril is that he was pretty much non-existent before his injury. He wasn't generating pressure at all. I think that's a bigger reason for him likely being cut-bait. If Avril had been his normal self before the neck injury, I think the Seahawks would be more inclined to keep him. But given his age, injury, and lack of production prior to the injury, I can't imagine he's back in Seattle unless it's under a restructured deal.

Although Bennett claims he won't be back in Seattle next year, cutting him only saves us $2m, so I'm unsure how prudent that would be. He regressed a bit this year, but I don't think chopping him is worth the $2m cap savings and the $5.2m in dead money. They're better off keeping him on for 2018 and cutting him in 2019 when the Hawks would save $5.2m and take on $3.4m in dead money.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if a team really wants richardson but thinks he will never sign with them, a tag and trade scenario to get that 2nd back could be a good deal for both sides.

problem with the comp pick is having to wait another year, we really need the pick now.

i have to believe that schneider didnt make that trade without some contingency plan, that we either sign him or somehow get picks back. clayton has said $16m per year for him, i dont see any way we make that deal unless we cut most of the older defensive stars.

Richardson had a good year but in no universe is he worth $16m per year, he's an above average DT but he is no game changer. $10m at most for him, even then I don't think he's worth it when I'd feel pretty comfortable with Jarran Reed and Naz Jones being the starters inside.

Jarran Reed and Naz Jones both played pretty well this year, I'd imagine the Hawks would rather stick with the youth.

I think when the Hawks made the trade they thought there was a stronger possibility we'd re-sign him, but that was before we added another $10m in cap commitments in Duane Brown.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of random comment:

The Hawks I believe currently only have around $19m or so in cap space, but after restructuring and/or cutting Cliff Avril we will have another $7.5m in cap space.

I'd like to see the Seahawks make a run at Panthers G Andrew Norwell. A left side of Norwell, Brown and Britt up the middle would actually be pretty formidable. We would still have gaping holes at RG and RT, but the left side would be pretty solid if we added him.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen someone throw this out there previously with these 2 players. If they are not re-signed and then get a big money deal somewhere else, we'll probably get a 3rd round comp pick in 2019. Can we get more value than that (and I'm assuming the team would value a pick in 2018 over a pick for next year on some sliding scale, e.g. a 3rd in '18 may be on par with a 2nd in '19) by a tag and trade? Just not sure.

My preference would be to do a combo; let Graham walk, and do what you can to re-sign Sheldon Richardson.

This is what I mentioned a few weeks back... The compensation we'd get from letting these players walk would benefit us down the road in terms of building this team... We need to let those guys walk and not tag em... We need to accumulate draft picks to build the team/depth necessary to make another run...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I mentioned a few weeks back... The compensation we'd get from letting these players walk would benefit us down the road in terms of building this team... We need to let those guys walk and not tag em... We need to accumulate draft picks to build the team/depth necessary to make another run...
So you wouldn't even entertain re-signing Sheldon Richardson? He's a really talented guy who could help anchor that line for the next 4 years given how young he still is. It would also help mitigate some of that turnover that appears to be about to happen on the DL. IMO, he's the most important re-sign of all of our UFAs, just ahead of McDougald.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another valid point about Avril is that he was pretty much non-existent before his injury. He wasn't generating pressure at all. I think that's a bigger reason for him likely being cut-bait. If Avril had been his normal self before the neck injury, I think the Seahawks would be more inclined to keep him. But given his age, injury, and lack of production prior to the injury, I can't imagine he's back in Seattle unless it's under a restructured deal.

And ironically, he was injured chasing the QB out of the pocket. Avril is probably most effective as a situational guy at this point in his career. I think he can still bring value to the Hawks in that role -- maybe 15-20 snaps a game -- but I don't think you pay $8M for that. One thing that really hurt our DL this year was the injuries cutting into the depth and preventing the sort of rotation they could have had to help keep players (particularly the older ones) fresher late in games, a la 2013. I guess we could debate how good Avril still is and what he has left, but I agree he won't be back here at the current price.

Although Bennett claims he won't be back in Seattle next year, cutting him only saves us $2m, so I'm unsure how prudent that would be. He regressed a bit this year, but I don't think chopping him is worth the $2m cap savings and the $5.2m in dead money. They're better off keeping him on for 2018 and cutting him in 2019 when the Hawks would save $5.2m and take on $3.4m in dead money.

Maybe the cap savings isn't huge (can be north of $5M with a post 1 June move), but the benefits would be in other areas. Maybe they can figure out how to co-exist, but it seems letting Bennett go would be part of the plan to refresh the message. I think he would also still be effective in a more limited role (he played way too many snaps this year), but he's also had nagging injuries the last couple years that I don't think go away at 33. It may just make sense to cut ties and get younger, while also removing a guy from the lockerroom who can be a bit of a headache.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but what if we could get a higher pick than a late 3rd for the upcoming draft?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the cap savings isn't huge (can be north of $5M with a post 1 June move), but the benefits would be in other areas. Maybe they can figure out how to co-exist, but it seems letting Bennett go would be part of the plan to refresh the message. I think he would also still be effective in a more limited role (he played way too many snaps this year), but he's also had nagging injuries the last couple years that I don't think go away at 33. It may just make sense to cut ties and get younger, while also removing a guy from the lockerroom who can be a bit of a headache.

Ahh, I was unaware of how big the difference would be if it was post June 1st. Good eye.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would we get a higher pick?

unless teams arent willing to trade more than a 4th, but i dont see how his worth has dropped that much after we gave up a 2nd.

i just hope they had a better contingency plan than to let him walk and hope for a comp pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unless teams arent willing to trade more than a 4th, but i dont see how his worth has dropped that much after we gave up a 2nd.

i just hope they had a better contingency plan than to let him walk and hope for a comp pick.
Guess I’m not sure which player your referring to.:noidea:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naz looked good in his time and looks like he could be a star if he can stay healthy ( If, i hate that word ). Because of this i believe Sheldon walks. Willson might not be back unless he signs another team friendly small contract and Graham i can't see them signing him even though i believe they want to. If Graham and Willson both leave the Hawks are REAL thin at TE. Then throw in the possible departing of Bennett and Avril and DE is super thin. Hawks will have a lot of work to do this offseason, and that includes DB/S help also unless they can lock up McDougald but still leaves needs at CB. all this to go along with RB, Oline needs sigh. Wish we had 10+ picks.