• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scouting dept ready for the Draft

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouting is easier when you don't need to look at full rosters. Look only at lists of recently injured guys and it cuts the total population down tremendously.

09-roll-safe.w710.h473.jpg

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hobs wrote a whole article about how the Bengals now use computers to watch tape. It was terrific.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
absolutely horrible. the entire scouting department needs to be fired and replaced with a real one. despicable. they are scamming their fans. worst organization in the history of sports.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What chronically injured bum are they looking at reaching for this year?

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What chronically injured bum are they looking at reaching for this year?

I bet we take the one-handed UCF kid 5 rounds before he should be taken.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet we take the one-handed UCF kid 5 rounds before he should be taken.

Well that would be hard to do now since the combine "scout gurus" think that Griffin may have raised his stock as high as a late 3rd to early 4th round pick.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets try to look on the bright side fellas.... You know Cleveland is getting tricked into taking Sequan Barkley as the first pick in the draft. Just about anything we do after that won't be thought of as stupid.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should. If they do not get a QB in FA, which I think Minnesota and Cleveland should be Cousins only destinations, then they go with Josh Allen at #4.

Honestly though, I think Mason Rudolph would be a great pick at #33. I think he has a bright future as an NFL QB. Can't guarantee he will be there at #33 though.

McCarron and then Rudolph at #33?

I don't know. But I think Cleveland has a good offensive line. Josh Gordon is back. Barkley in the backfield as a 3 down back with Duke Johnson.

Cousins, along with Barkley, a Fitzpatrick or Derwin James at #4, Mason Rudolph at #33 still to be Cousins backup and learn, along with a WR as their next pick in the second round.

I honestly think Cleveland could go 8-8 or better next year. I am telling you, Cousins at QB, Barkley in the backfield, and Gordon back and ready to contribute make Cleveland an offense to not be taken lightly. That kind of offense with all those young defensive studs, plus maybe one of the better S prospects in years as Derwin James helping to support that backend. Cleveland is Cousins and a solid draft away from being contenders this year. In my mind, I believe this to be true.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that would be hard to do now since the combine "scout gurus" think that Griffin may have raised his stock as high as a late 3rd to early 4th round pick.

Because he ran a phony 40?

He's a fine player, but a special teams player. So totally the guy the Bengals will go after in the 2nd.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should. If they do not get a QB in FA, which I think Minnesota and Cleveland should be Cousins only destinations, then they go with Josh Allen at #4.

Honestly though, I think Mason Rudolph would be a great pick at #33. I think he has a bright future as an NFL QB. Can't guarantee he will be there at #33 though.

McCarron and then Rudolph at #33?

I don't know. But I think Cleveland has a good offensive line. Josh Gordon is back. Barkley in the backfield as a 3 down back with Duke Johnson.

Cousins, along with Barkley, a Fitzpatrick or Derwin James at #4, Mason Rudolph at #33 still to be Cousins backup and learn, along with a WR as their next pick in the second round.

I honestly think Cleveland could go 8-8 or better next year. I am telling you, Cousins at QB, Barkley in the backfield, and Gordon back and ready to contribute make Cleveland an offense to not be taken lightly. That kind of offense with all those young defensive studs, plus maybe one of the better S prospects in years as Derwin James helping to support that backend. Cleveland is Cousins and a solid draft away from being contenders this year. In my mind, I believe this to be true.

I feel like this is about the 10th year in a row that you tell us to believe in Cleveland's talent.

Pretty big assumptions here.... Now, here's the reality:

Cousins will not go to Cleveland.

Barkley is next in the long line of overrated Penn State running back busts.

Gordon is many years removed from his best year and can't be counted on.

What defense?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this is about the 10th year in a row that you tell us to believe in Cleveland's talent.

Pretty big assumptions here.... Now, here's the reality:

Cousins will not go to Cleveland.

Barkley is next in the long line of overrated Penn State running back busts.

Gordon is many years removed from his best year and can't be counted on.

What defense?

I don't ever talk Cleveland up. I think they have some talent, but they need someone to bring it all together, a QB.

I don't think Barkley is overrated. He could be, but he has all the skills and is capable of being a great back.

You're right, Cousins will not land there, I am just saying that would put Cleveland in a different spot in this league.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not you, then someone on this board.... Seems like we have the same convo before every draft. Cleveland has multiple picks, they're going to have so much talent, sooner or later they will win, blah, blah, blah..... Then they go and draft the 5th best quarterback in the draft and two seasons later still don't have a qb.

The best running back in the league is Le'Veon Bell. If he played for Cleveland, it might help them win one or two more games than they would have won anyway. I just don't see how Barkley changes their outcome..... You need a high impact guy at #1. Get a qb.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cleveland is eventually going to get it right. The law of large numbers comes into play and based off that alone, they are going to have to hit at some point. They are the NFL version of the 76ers. However their process has been majorly flawed for quite awhile. Dumb luck is going to come around and eventually shine on them. I would do this if I were them:

1. Saquon Barkley RB Penn State
4. Best QB available

The consensus best QB is murky so they can take whom is deemed as the best player in the draft (by many, not all) in Barkley. If they don't take him number one, they run the risk of having the Colts take him at #3. Giants will probably take a QB at #2 and barring someone trading up for the Colts pick at #3, the Browns will get a QB at #4. You read about Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Josh Allen all being top 5 to 7 picks. Just take whomever is rated your best QB available at the #4 spot.

Just my 2 cents...

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland is eventually going to get it right. The law of large numbers comes into play and based off that alone, they are going to have to hit at some point. They are the NFL version of the 76ers. However their process has been majorly flawed for quite awhile. Dumb luck is going to come around and eventually shine on them. I would do this if I were them:

1. Saquon Barkley RB Penn State
4. Best QB available

The consensus best QB is murky so they can take whom is deemed as the best player in the draft (by many, not all) in Barkley. If they don't take him number one, they run the risk of having the Colts take him at #3. Giants will probably take a QB at #2 and barring someone trading up for the Colts pick at #3, the Browns will get a QB at #4. You read about Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Josh Allen all being top 5 to 7 picks. Just take whomever is rated your best QB available at the #4 spot.

Just my 2 cents...

I'm normally for this type of strategy.... But, in Cleveland's case, I feel like they keep doing this. Talking themselves into the idea that their top rated qb isn't really any different than the 5th guy. Then they end up with Brady Quinn, Dashone Kizer, or Johnny Football. If their scouts have a guy they think is #1, they should pick him for once. Ride him out.... Don't second guess it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I just think that guy can be had at #4 in Josh Allen.

I like Allen and Rudolph.

Besides, I think Cleveland would be better off signing an AJ McCarron for 2 years to lead that team, while the QB of the future learns and waits in Rudolph. McCarron knows Jackson and his system, he is one hell of a leader and a pretty good QB needing a chance to prove his ability to the league for a huge pay day in FA.

I don't think Cleveland should be starting with a rookie from day 1. I think he needs to sit and learn, and he needs a leader like McCarron so he can learn the right way, a guy that truly understands Hue's system. With that said, I think of all the QB's coming out this year, I think there are positives and negatives to each one, and when you are talking rookie QB's, they are all a gamble. I like Rudolph. He is big, strong, very smart and a good leader. I think he is a safer bet, while loading up on talent at the top of the draft.

A guy like Bell does help Cleveland right away, IF they have a legit QB leading them, and I honestly believe McCarron is every bit as good as Dalton and while Dalton is no Rodgers or Brady, he is an average to above average league QB. McCarron has the ability to be that or more with his leadership skills. So yes, I think a back like Barkley could be awesome in Cleveland if some talent is around him. A solid offensive line that blocks well for running game. A veteran QB who knows Hue's system and can get the most out of his players around him, and the way Gordon played those last 4 games of the year with no QB throwing him the ball, they are right there offensively. Plus, Njoku is going to be in his second year and knows the system a little better, and you know how McCarron loves his TE's.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns pass on a QB at #1, for a fucking RB, it’s epitmizes why they are the Browns.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I just think that guy can be had at #4 in Josh Allen.

I like Allen and Rudolph.

Besides, I think Cleveland would be better off signing an AJ McCarron for 2 years to lead that team, while the QB of the future learns and waits in Rudolph. McCarron knows Jackson and his system, he is one hell of a leader and a pretty good QB needing a chance to prove his ability to the league for a huge pay day in FA.

I don't think Cleveland should be starting with a rookie from day 1. I think he needs to sit and learn, and he needs a leader like McCarron so he can learn the right way, a guy that truly understands Hue's system. With that said, I think of all the QB's coming out this year, I think there are positives and negatives to each one, and when you are talking rookie QB's, they are all a gamble. I like Rudolph. He is big, strong, very smart and a good leader. I think he is a safer bet, while loading up on talent at the top of the draft.

A guy like Bell does help Cleveland right away, IF they have a legit QB leading them, and I honestly believe McCarron is every bit as good as Dalton and while Dalton is no Rodgers or Brady, he is an average to above average league QB. McCarron has the ability to be that or more with his leadership skills. So yes, I think a back like Barkley could be awesome in Cleveland if some talent is around him. A solid offensive line that blocks well for running game. A veteran QB who knows Hue's system and can get the most out of his players around him, and the way Gordon played those last 4 games of the year with no QB throwing him the ball, they are right there offensively. Plus, Njoku is going to be in his second year and knows the system a little better, and you know how McCarron loves his TE's.

Josh Allen = Kyle Boller.

I liked this article:

Stats Are for Losers: Josh Allen Hype Season Has Officially Arrived

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rosen and Mayfield may even be available at 4, perhaps Darnold.

Based on this mock (2018 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's 7-Round Predictions, Post-Combine), which I know is just a guessing game, at #4, the Browns would still have the pick of the 1st QB off the board. Not saying that will happen.

I don't rate Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen that far apart. Is the slight difference between these guys worth losing out on the #1 RB when 1 is guaranteed to fall to #4?

I just don't see it.

Who do you see being so good that Browns would be out of their mind to pass him up at #1? Which one of these guys? I don't think Darnold is that great. I don't see Rosen being the guy everyone thinks he is. Mayfield will be a better Manzel but the ceiling is low still I think. Allen huge upside but small school with no real competition and not a great accuracy rating. I don't see any of these guys as the guy they have to get at #1. No clear cut #1 QB in the draft this year. To me, they all rate between 10-25 top prospects.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't have any clear cut #1, I think you talk trade.... I get that they already have a ton of picks, but why not get even more assets. They can definitely use them to move up in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to improve position. If you stay put, I'd take the best pass rusher available. I just can't understand a running back as the first overall pick. Maybe I'm still hurting from the KiJana Carter days?