• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scott Brooks agrees to coach Wizards

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brooks is doing better than I expected, but let's face it. Outside of a terrible 2016, The WIzards are exactly where they have always been. They are a second round playoff team without a ton of resources to improve that.

To say the Wizards are "exactly where they've always been" is misinformed. Their winning percentage this year is close to a franchise record & rank within the conference is their best in a generation.

NBA Teams: Washington Wizards Records Year by Year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To say the Wizards are "exactly where they've always been" is misinformed. Their winning percentage this year is close to a franchise record & rank within the conference is their best in a generation.

NBA Teams: Washington Wizards Records Year by Year.

Okay, so they will win between 49-52 games this year. They won 46 in 2015. The expectation for a young team should be to progress a little each year. The fact that winning 52 games would be one of the better seasons in franchise history speaks to just how terrible the franchise has been since Unseld's playing days.

What I should have said is that they are right where natural progression should have taken them after the 2015 season. If they were where they have always been, they would be in the lottery.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so they will win between 49-52 games this year. They won 46 in 2015. The expectation for a young team should be to progress a little each year. The fact that winning 52 games would be one of the better seasons in franchise history speaks to just how terrible the franchise has been since Unseld's playing days.

What I should have said is that they are right where natural progression should have taken them after the 2015 season. If they were where they have always been, they would be in the lottery.

Who cares about their history - they are playing very well right now & the coach has to at least be given some credit for that. You also can't just discount last season & act like it never happened. If nothing else you should give props to a coach that gets a team to improve from that finish especially since the Wizards had to overcome a horrible start to the season.

Is your position basically that it doesn't matter who coaches any team? If so then perhaps I can understand your position. Otherwise - I really can't see any other coach doing much more with this team at the current time. I certainly hope that you are enjoying the current run. If you only find joy in winning an NBA championship then sure you will be disappointed with this team (as will fans of likely every team not named the Warriors or perhaps the Spurs).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares about their history - they are playing very well right now & the coach has to at least be given some credit for that. You also can't just discount last season & act like it never happened. If nothing else you should give props to a coach that gets a team to improve from that finish especially since the Wizards had to overcome a horrible start to the season.

Is your position basically that it doesn't matter who coaches any team? If so then perhaps I can understand your position. Otherwise - I really can't see any other coach doing much more with this team at the current time. I certainly hope that you are enjoying the current run. If you only find joy in winning an NBA championship then sure you will be disappointed with this team (as will fans of likely every team not named the Warriors or perhaps the Spurs).

I think most NBA coaches have relatively neutral impact. There are a few difference makers, like Popovich or Brad Stevens, there are a few who lose their team for one reason or another and fail (Whitman last year). But, I think there are a lot of coaches who would have the same success that Brooks is having this year. I do not think the Wizards are overachieving or underachiving. This is who they are.

For Brooks to add value IMO, he needs to show he can lead his team to a playoff series win against a more talented team. He has yet to do that in his coaching career. But, for now I am happy with neutral because that is what most coaches are and it is better than last year.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most NBA coaches have relatively neutral impact. There are a few difference makers, like Popovich or Brad Stevens, there are a few who lose their team for one reason or another and fail (Whitman last year). But, I think there are a lot of coaches who would have the same success that Brooks is having this year. I do not think the Wizards are overachieving or underachiving. This is who they are.

For Brooks to add value IMO, he needs to show he can lead his team to a playoff series win against a more talented team. He has yet to do that in his coaching career. But, for now I am happy with neutral because that is what most coaches are and it is better than last year.

OK - fair enough. I don't think it is about overachieving - it is about playing to your talent level & certainly the Wizards are doing that now. I agree with your overall premise & would say that the GM for any team is much more important in the NBA then the coach. I would use Lue as an example - I don't believe that he is that good of a coach & he led the Cavs to the title last year.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK - fair enough. I don't think it is about overachieving - it is about playing to your talent level & certainly the Wizards are doing that now. I agree with your overall premise & would say that the GM for any team is much more important in the NBA then the coach. I would use Lue as an example - I don't believe that he is that good of a coach & he led the Cavs to the title last year.

I agree 100%.

GM and front office are far more important.