• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

San Diego fan shouts down Dean Spanos at his big LA rally

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but they need to address the O-line. Don't give a fuck anymore. I'll be cheering for their opponents.

Man. I feel for you. What a shitty situation.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reserving the right to abandon my fanhood after 15 years if they keep penny pinching and making horrible roster decisions.

Outside of college football there isn't a single event in sports that pisses me off more than the draft. Horrible decision after horrible decision.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA, could not support 1 teaam in the past. Now they have 2. What the F--- are they thinking? Somebody please explain. I hope both teams fail in LA.

Billionaires don't like commuting by jet from their LA palaces? I don't fucking know.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reserving the right to abandon my fanhood after 15 years if they keep penny pinching and making horrible roster decisions.

Outside of college football there isn't a single event in sports that pisses me off more than the draft. Horrible decision after horrible decision.
Your call. Won't fault you either way. Hell I'd cheer for the LA Chargers if they're sold. I just can't support anything related to Spanos.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C2fzc0pUkAIX1Eu.jpg:large

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your call. Won't fault you either way. Hell I'd cheer for the LA Chargers if they're sold. I just can't support anything related to Spanos.

No real disagreement here, but what was the alternative? They've been pushing for a new stadium for over a decade with each proposal falling flat on its face.

Most people in San Diego didn't see the need for a new stadium and were apathetic about a possible move to LA.

I just don't think you can fault him completely. Qualcomm has been a shithole for years. The last time it got a face lift was 1997 for $78 Million.

It hosted a Super Bowl in 2003 and this was the Commissioners reaction:
"I'm surprised that we are here this week," Tagliabue said before the Super Bowl. "If it weren't for [Chargers owner] Alex [Spanos] impressing upon the committee and upon the membership the importance of coming back here from his perspective, I don't think that San Diego would have been on the top of the list of most owners who were considering Super Bowl sites. So I don't think the outlook is promising. ... I think it's unlikely that there's going to be a Super Bowl in the immediate future in San Diego."

SF got a brand new stadium. Lambeau has had two nine figure face lifts.

The damn Raiders would have had that spot and we would have been stuck in purgatory.

What should he have done? Wait until it gets so bad that SD is forced to take a look in the mirror and realize that moving up the road was much better than the team leaving California altogether?

The critical moment came and passed with little resistance.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No real disagreement here, but what was the alternative? They've been pushing for a new stadium for over a decade with each proposal falling flat on its face.

Most people in San Diego didn't see the need for a new stadium and were apathetic about a possible move to LA.

I just don't think you can fault him completely. Qualcomm has been a shithole for years. The last time it got a face lift was 1997 for $78 Million.

It hosted a Super Bowl in 2003 and this was the Commissioners reaction:
"I'm surprised that we are here this week," Tagliabue said before the Super Bowl. "If it weren't for [Chargers owner] Alex [Spanos] impressing upon the committee and upon the membership the importance of coming back here from his perspective, I don't think that San Diego would have been on the top of the list of most owners who were considering Super Bowl sites. So I don't think the outlook is promising. ... I think it's unlikely that there's going to be a Super Bowl in the immediate future in San Diego."

SF got a brand new stadium. Lambeau has had two nine figure face lifts.

The damn Raiders would have had that spot and we would have been stuck in purgatory.

What should he have done? Wait until it gets so bad that SD is forced to take a look in the mirror and realize that moving up the road was much better than the team leaving California altogether?

The critical moment came and passed with little resistance.
I've beat this to death in other threads, so I'll just do a copy/paste job. Bottom line is the city had a great plan for the Qualcomm site, and could not get Spanos to even discuss it...

This is something few outside of San Diego understand. The city of San Diego is about 30-35% of the population of San Diego County. The majority of the fans don't live in the city of San Diego.

The city proposed rebuilding on the same site in Mission Valley, and the county committed $150 million on top of $200 million from the city. Just recently SDSU committed $100 million, so there was the potential for $450 million in public money for a 1.2 billion dollar stadium, well in line with what other cities have done (except for LA, who isn't paying a dime for Kroenke's palace). Had this proposal been on the ballot, it would have been a county wide vote, needing only 50% of the vote to pass since there were no tax increases. Many more people outside of the city would have been able to vote, and county polls showed over 50% approval.

Spanos decided he'd rather have a downtown palace to rival the Inglewood stadium, still butthurt by the owners choosing Kroenke. He went after it and proposed a hotel tax increase, requiring 67% approval. He then spent nothing on advertising or promoting the initiative. He also alienated county voters, as only city residents could vote on it. Many in SD saw this as a bad deal and voted it down (I voted for it because of blind loyalty). The city/county proposal was seen as much more reasonable and achievable. In the end a little over 500k people cast a ballot for the initiative, in a county with 3.3 million.

So when I hear "the people have spoken", that's complete bullshit. Most people that cared never got a chance to speak. Dean knew this initiative would never pass and only did it as an attempt to try to hold on to his fans. Didn't work asshole.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the plan the city had, and Spanos didn't want it...

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Balls.

This sucks.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA, could not support 1 teaam in the past. Now they have 2. What the F--- are they thinking? Somebody please explain. I hope both teams fail in LA.

How many times will this false statement be used?

I mean, damn, the Rams were here for 50 years.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams left and the Raiders left. How is that statement false?

Well, duh! Im talking about the false reason that LA couldn't support a football team.