• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saints signing Meredith to an offer sheet

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meredith is gone. Im not too bummed though. He is better off in New Orleans. After signing all the players we signed, I didn’t see too much of a role for himself here. I think we can find someone to replace the production he would’ve had this year in the role he would play rather easily.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference between Low and 2nd round tender ~1M. That's what the Bears lost Meredith over.
In fairness, there is no way any team would have touched Meredith if it would have had to give up that 2nd rounder. I'm sure Pace and everyone in the organization knew this. So I don't think it was a matter of that extra money. My question would now be if they were never really sold on Meredith being able to play to his full capabilities, why even bother at all with the lowball tender, why not just outright release him? I hope this question gets asked when Pace holds his next briefing with reporters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pace has gotten better as a GM but he still makes mistakes. Well regret this one for years. We can pay Sims 6 mil for nothing and bring in WRs with injury's for big money. We an pay Burton who has 500 yds in 4 years big bucks but we don't take care of our own. Well it's nice to create yet another hole before the draft.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm okay with not resigning Cam... here's why:

1. Injuries: he's coming off 2 knee ligaments- ACL/MCL tears. That's a little more extensive than what Robinson had. If they kept him that would be 2 WR's coming off injuries. Add Kevin White and that's 3.
2. Who loses snaps if he's on the roster? They just signed Robinson, Gabriel, and TE Burton. If White is anything, that's another WR. With the idea of 2 TE sets with Sims, Shaheen, Burton, Daniels all in the mix at TE and assuming Robinson is going to stay on the field all the time... who comes off so Cam can get snaps? Gabriel?
3. He doesn't play special teams.

It's just numbers. I wish him well... just didn't see a spot for him here after the injury. At that price... I can see why they didn't go for it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Injuries: he's coming off 2 knee ligaments- ACL/MCL tears. That's a little more extensive than what Robinson had. If they kept him that would be 2 WR's coming off injuries. Add Kevin White and that's 3.
2. Who loses snaps if he's on the roster? They just signed Robinson, Gabriel, and TE Burton. If White is anything, that's another WR. With the idea of 2 TE sets with Sims, Shaheen, Burton, Daniels all in the mix at TE and assuming Robinson is going to stay on the field all the time... who comes off so Cam can get snaps? Gabriel?

It's just numbers. I wish him well... just didn't see a spot for him here after the injury. At that price... I can see why they didn't go for it.

Am I missing something on the price? They could've had him for 2.9 million a year?? That's cheap af.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I missing something on the price? They could've had him for 2.9 million a year?? That's cheap af.

Cameron Meredith signed a 2 year, $9,600,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including $5,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,800,000.
The Bears have the money, I don't think money was really the issue... IMO it's more about what I said above. Again, I like him... but that would be a lot of money for the position group as a whole that we don't really know much about yet.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cameron Meredith signed a 2 year, $9,600,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including $5,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,800,000.
The Bears have the money, I don't think money was really the issue... IMO it's more about what I said above. Again, I like him... but that would be a lot of money for the position group as a whole that we don't really know much about yet.

from the chicago tribune....

It would have been relatively cheap for them to ensure Meredith’s comeback attempt occurred in their uniform. They could have tendered him last month at the second-round level for only $1 million more than the no-compensation level of $1.9 million they did.

Only $1 million more could have deterred poachers such as the Saints and eliminated the chance Meredith goes elsewhere and outperforms what the Bears’ medical evaluation indicates he will be capable of.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope there will be some answers when Pace holds his next press conference. I think there is merit to both arguments. I often try to keep an open mind until there are definitive answers as to why they do whatever, but this one was a bit strange to say the least.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't a justification for this. Just stupid if the decision to keep him wasn't already made.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, there is no way any team would have touched Meredith if it would have had to give up that 2nd rounder. I'm sure Pace and everyone in the organization knew this. So I don't think it was a matter of that extra money. My question would now be if they were never really sold on Meredith being able to play to his full capabilities, why even bother at all with the lowball tender, why not just outright release him? I hope this question gets asked when Pace holds his next briefing with reporters.

I think this answers your question. Pace wanted to keep him aboard, but did not feel comfortable making any kind of a monetary commitment to him.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this answers your question. Pace wanted to keep him aboard, but did not feel comfortable making any kind of a monetary commitment to him.

They thought enough to give him 1.9M, but not 2.9 in other words? I call BS. Looks to me they went cheap and got burned.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't a justification for this. Just stupid if the decision to keep him wasn't already made.

Yeah, I'm bummed. I'm going to go ahead and believe them (for now) on the knee issue being a concern. Also, I hope this also has to do with them liking a WR Day 2 in the draft. Something along those lines.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They thought enough to give him 1.9M, but not 2.9 in other words? I call BS. Looks to me they went cheap and got burned.

I just think he had likely decided that he wasn't keen on keeping a 3rd WR coming off of a rather big injury. Decided that he'd keep him for the minimum, but if someone bit on Meredith with an offer sheet - he wasn't going to chase him over it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think he had likely decided that he wasn't keen on keeping a 3rd WR coming off of a rather big injury. Decided that he'd keep him for the minimum, but if someone bit on Meredith with an offer sheet - he wasn't going to chase him over it.
I can't really get over a pittance, 1M, being the differencemaker here.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Bears' call was mainly a medical decision as Meredith is coming off a torn ACL and MCL, and the team was hesitant to commit that much money to a player coming off such a serious knee injury."

They just guaranteed $25 million to a guy with similar stats, that's coming off a torn ACL???

Maybe the MCL was the deciding factor, but damn, seems Meredith STILL would've been a bargain at that price, and with Robinson on the team, they could've allowed him to sit and fully recover if needed.

As much attrition as they've experienced at the WR position the last few years, you would think it would be a no-brainer. Maybe I'm missing something with the contracts??

I'm thinking with AR coming off of a similar injury. Taking on Meredith (who also had an MCL) on top of that worried him. Not to mention, with White too.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it doesn't sound too bad if the report is accurate. Supposedly 2 years for $10mil. I don't see how Pace would refuse to match this.
I say the Bears don't match it... Oops!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't really get over a pittance, 1M, being the differencemaker here.

Yeah, I agree. I am taken back by it too. I also see the logic in not being overly hot on having Robinson/Meredith/White as 3 of your top 4 WR's. All coming off of big injuries. Two with ACL's. Meredith's being the worst injury of all three of them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We have 1 legit starting WR if he is healthy. Burton is a very expensive hope and Gabriel a very expensive role player. Were fked. Even if we kept Cam we still needed 2 more WRs.