• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan D got this...

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read, thanks for posting.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another should read this! Would help him not be so damn ignorant about recruiting...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much how most on here saw this...I think it is even more difficult now that Maryland is a Big10 team...Though the diehard fans here would rather play ACC basketball..its clear that the Athletic Program has made significant strides in recruiting better talent and mostly in state now that they play in a better football conference...having Ohio State and a budding rivalry with Penn State is huge for them..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another should read this! Would help him not be so damn ignorant about recruiting...

Thanks for the compliment.

Does not change my opinion. If you can build depth with Freshman, you don't need to get JUCO's.

With a JUCO, you know what you are getting. And for each JUCO you take, you miss out on taking a Freshman who may develop into a superstar. Good example from the article. We took Amos Zerouoe as a Freshman. We took Charles Sims as a transfer.

I may be ignorant in thinking that we will never win a Conference Championship, playoff appearance with a JUCO laden team. In most cases, I view taking a JUCO as an admission that you were not able to adequately recruit and develop a position. I can see filling in a hole like we did with Crawford after Smallwood went into the NFL, or taking guys like Bruce Irvin and Rasul Douglass were no brainers as 4 and 5 star additions.

My theory for WVU football is that we will never will be able to consistently recruit 4-5 star talent. Our best years have been with the under the radar guys like Pat White, Amos, and Major. If we need JUCO's to fill in the roster, we don't have room for those guys. Develop talent from within and supplement with JUCOs for injuries, early grads and failures.

Compare to pro football. Some teams like to build through the draft, some build through free agency. I think the former have been more successful.

BBW feel free to call me names or post something on Twitter if you don't agree.:heh:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does not change my opinion. If you can build depth with Freshman, you don't need to get JUCO's.

With a JUCO, you know what you are getting. And for each JUCO you take, you miss out on taking a Freshman who may develop into a superstar. Good example from the article. We took Amos Zerouoe as a Freshman. We took Charles Sims as a transfer.

I may be ignorant in thinking that we will never win a Conference Championship, playoff appearance with a JUCO laden team. In most cases, I view taking a JUCO as an admission that you were not able to adequately recruit and develop a position. I can see filling in a hole like we did with Crawford after Smallwood went into the NFL, or taking guys like Bruce Irvin and Rasul Douglass were no brainers as 4 and 5 star additions.

My theory for WVU football is that we will never will be able to consistently recruit 4-5 star talent. Our best years have been with the under the radar guys like Pat White, Amos, and Major. If we need JUCO's to fill in the roster, we don't have room for those guys. Develop talent from within and supplement with JUCOs for injuries, early grads and failures.

Compare to pro football. Some teams like to build through the draft, some build through free agency. I think the former have been more successful.

BBW feel free to call me names or post something on Twitter if you don't agree.:heh:

I hear what you you are saying...but IMHO the JUCO level of play has gotten so much better...so I don't mind how they are recruiting....I think what will help WV down the road is if they institute an early signing period it will be much easier for them to get back to recruiting like you messaged...they can have 70% of their class filled by November.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looks like you missed the point of the article. Did you even read it?

Due to your boy Shane being

I guess I'll stick to calling you names. I don't post on Twitter, so I'll stick to this place to try to help you not be so ignorant.

Did you even read the article? Quite an exaggeration to imply WVU will be a JUCO laden team.

If you would go back in review of the past few seasons, you will find high school recruits who chose to transfer elsewhere after finding how far down the depth chart they were at WVU. That is part of building a program. A new concept for WVU fans I know... but, one we see across the country when accomplishing the same goal as we are. Once those kids are lost after a 2-3 year period, it does produce gaps in depth. These are handled with JUCO's. JUCO's provide the staff with the ability to go recruit more high school kids and provide a safe place to develop them without forcing them into early action.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why taking a JUCO player shows signs of being unable to recruit.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why taking a JUCO player shows signs of being unable to recruit.

It doesn't mean you're unable to recruit. It means you're unable to identify talent that wants to stay in Morgantown and be developed.

Those are the kind of kids Another feels Dana is missing on.

In an era when there is a huge number of football players transferring at record rates, he thinks WVU is doing something out of place.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't mean you're unable to recruit. It means you're unable to identify talent that wants to stay in Morgantown and be developed.

Those are the kind of kids Another feels Dana is missing on.

Bingo:suds:

In an era when there is a huge number of football players transferring at record rates, he thinks WVU is doing something out of place.

As the article stated, Dorchester compensated (for the loss of recruiting due to the loss of assistant coaches) by signing JUCOs and transfers.... short term fixes in my opinion. I hate to see that we have to play the free agent market to field a good team. At least we are doing a good job of filling in the holes.

Hopefully Dan and Shane can get more assistants to stay long term and develop the relationships needed to land more great recruits.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the article stated, Dorchester compensated (for the loss of recruiting due to the loss of assistant coaches) by signing JUCOs and transfers.... short term fixes in my opinion. I hate to see that we have to play the free agent market to field a good team. At least we are doing a good job of filling in the holes.

Hopefully Dan and Shane can get more assistants to stay long term and develop the relationships needed to land more great recruits.

Well... you're getting close...

You made some ignorant comments about recruiting. You repeatedly poked Dana for not having a better class this year. You even went as far as saying his extension did not produce any positive gain.

Please take note of the following statement from the article...

"The process to get to signing day spans far beyond one calendar year, sometimes involving multiple calendar years, which means Dorchester must stay on top of everything."

The process spans far beyond one calendar year. Did you know WVU football is preparing for one of the more intense recruiting periods today?

Probably not...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What a dumb fuck ole Phil is. Thanks for sharing a bunch of fucking garbage.

If Dana recruits a class in the 50's each year from '12-'16, does this fool actually think WVU would finish higher than 8th in the Big 12 each year? Does he believe WVU would win the Big 12 in the future if it keeps getting classes in the 50's?

That would be putting a lot on the coaching staff. You're either saying the staff needs to be able to identify raw talent better than any other staff, or you're saying the staff needs to do an outstanding job of developing raw player to an elite level... both have to be done on a consistent basis with no room for error.

What a bunch of crock...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... you're getting close...

You made some ignorant comments about recruiting. You repeatedly poked Dana for not having a better class this year. You even went as far as saying his extension did not produce any positive gain.

fact is that our class was ranked in the mid 40s when Dana Signed. We ended up lower. Am I ignorant for pointing this out?

Please take note of the following statement from the article...

"The process to get to signing day spans far beyond one calendar year, sometimes involving multiple calendar years, which means Dorchester must stay on top of everything."

Tell that to Baylor they assembled a better class than us in just over a month.

If Dana recruits a class in the 50's each year from '12-'16, does this fool actually think WVU would finish higher than 8th in the Big 12 each year? you must understand why I bitch about recruiting

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... why was WVU's class ranked in the mid-40's when Dana signed? Prior to this year, he had never had a class ranked so low.

What does Baylor have to do with WVU? You cannot compare the two in recruiting. That would be an example of more ignorance.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... why was WVU's class ranked in the mid-40's when Dana signed? Prior to this year, he had never had a class ranked so low. Must have been the loss to Kansas. either that or Dana's inability to retain assistant coaches.

What does Baylor have to do with WVU? You cannot compare the two in recruiting. That would be an example of more ignorance.
It would look better if I used AAC teams instead of comparing us to other conference members? I used Baylor because they had a bit over 30 days with a new coach and were able to beat us in recruiting. 3 out of the previous 4 years they have had lower ranked classes than us. Explain why you call that ignorant?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would look better if I used AAC teams instead of comparing us to other conference members? I used Baylor because they had a bit over 30 days with a new coach and were able to beat us in recruiting. 3 out of the previous 4 years they have had lower ranked classes than us. Explain why you call that ignorant?
These few "fans" have, for whatever reason attached themselves to Luck and Holgorsen, and they will defend them to the end. Point out losses on the field, and they come back with making money, point out poor recruiting and they blame Lyons. Holgorsen and Luck can do no wrong, anyone before or after is worthless.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's put this into proper context. According to 247 Composite Team Rankings, BU had a higher recruiting class than WVU in 4 out of the last 6 years. WVU narrowly beat them out in '15 and '16 when BU took small classes in back to back years... 19 in '15 and 18 in '16. Small classes often result in lower class rankings.

This year, BU took 27 kids. I'm pretty sure only 1 commit from the '16 class ended up attending BU. The other 17 kids were given permission to get out of their LOI and go to another school.

BU is in the state of Texas where there are 100's of 3 star football players. All but 3 or 4 of the kids they signed were from TX.

How many 3 star high school players did WV generate this year?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of asking why BU brought in a better class than WVU, why aren't you asking why WVU's class fell so far short of its past level?

You're smart enough to figure it out...

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's put this into proper context. According to 247 Composite Team Rankings, BU had a higher recruiting class than WVU in 4 out of the last 6 years. WVU narrowly beat them out in '15 and '16 when BU took small classes in back to back years... 19 in '15 and 18 in '16. Small classes often result in lower class rankings.

This year, BU took 27 kids. I'm pretty sure only 1 commit from the '16 class ended up attending BU. The other 17 kids were given permission to get out of their LOI and go to another school.

BU is in the state of Texas where there are 100's of 3 star football players. All but 3 or 4 of the kids they signed were from TX.

How many 3 star high school players did WV generate this year?

Exactly what I said in another thread...Location, Location, Location. Almost every recruit was from TX in their '17 class. How else could you explain getting that many kids on board in literally one month with the shit show going on in Waco? Like BB said, there are 100's of 3 star kids in TX who get looked over and are dying to stay close to home, play in a P5 conference, and in this case, will likely get a great chance at early playing time. Geographically, we'll always be at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting. We don't produce high quality in-state athletes and we have to contend with Maryland, sPitt, PSU, VT, and tOSU (and it appears that you can add KY to that list too) for bordering state athletes. I don't see how that will ever change..