• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumor: Baker Mayfield Gaining Steam to Be #1 Overall Pick

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Browns select an underclassman w/ the 1st pick whoever it is will ask to return to college.:L

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true, other than I would argue that they already passed on two QBs that are on their way to great careers, potentially Rodgers-esque.

Both have had pretty serious injuries, so lets hold off on comparing them to great NFL QBs for a little while yet. Both also landed on teams far better suited to win now than the Browns were at the time. So, while clearly capable, there's no guarantee that they would have been anywhere near as good for the Browns.

Headcase or not, Rosen has the talent.

I personally think he has the most arm talent in the class. He doesn't have Allen's howitzer, but can make all the throws.

Rosen supposedly is easily the most polished of the group. His leadership and work ethic concerns are what have people looking away from him. I think he would be a great fit at NYG #2 overall tbh. Would benefit from being behind Eli for a few years to develop and learn how to be a pro.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns have missed with "can't miss" DL and RB picks high in the draft before too. Prospects like Luck are extremely rare, and even he has his doubters now with his injuries.
Every team has. It doesn't mean you're not taking a bigger risk with QBs that aren't elite. Just because the position is elite, it doesn't mean the available options are. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. Drafting a QB at #1 overall doesn't automatically make him a franchise QB. If there are elite options available at other positions, you take those guys instead IMO. 4 of the top 10 QBs in the league last year in yardage were picked outside of the first round.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has. It doesn't mean you're not taking a bigger risk with QBs that aren't elite. Just because the position is elite, it doesn't mean the available options are. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. Drafting a QB at #1 overall doesn't automatically make him a franchise QB. If there are elite options available at other positions, you take those guys instead IMO. 4 of the top 10 QBs in the league last year in yardage were picked outside of the first round.

If the Browns don't draft a QB in the first, they'll (still) be a laughing stock...

The rest of that top 10? Includes 3 #1s, a #2 and a #3, among others. Brees was picked 32nd. Brady is the ultimate exception. Both Brees and Wilson fell in the draft due to their height (obviously not as much of a problem now, with Baker likely an early 1st rounder). Cousins is the lone true outlier IMO of those 10 (and I liked him in that draft).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Point was, if you wait for a Luck level prospect to draft a QB early, you won't have a job.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker Mayfield Should Be the Top Pick in the 2018 Draft

I honestly don't get how anyone thinks that Allen should be drafted so high and why Mayfield isn't the consensus No. 1 overall QB.

The closest thing to a legitimate criticism of Mayfield is that he plays in an Air Raid system which allows him to throw to wide open receivers. But as Sherman says in that article (IMO, more teams should run offenses in which the receivers get so open that you can’t even tell whether the QB is good.)

IOW, are we really arguing that Mayfield was able to put up his beyond Madden numbers because of the system?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won't have a job after drafting a bust QB either.

Depends. If you use your own pick, you have a better chance. Elway seems to still have a job, and he traded up (late in the first though). If you spend 4-5 picks trading up, no chance.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baker Mayfield Should Be the Top Pick in the 2018 Draft

I honestly don't get how anyone thinks that Allen should be drafted so high and why Mayfield isn't the consensus No. 1 overall QB.

The closest thing to a legitimate criticism of Mayfield is that he plays in an Air Raid system which allows him to throw to wide open receivers. But as Sherman says in that article (IMO, more teams should run offenses in which the receivers get so open that you can’t even tell whether the QB is good.)

IOW, are we really arguing that Mayfield was able to put up his beyond Madden numbers because of the system?

Allen is puzzling. He's all upside based on measurables.

However, the draft is littered with Air-Raid (spread) QBs every year, most of them backups and washouts. Not sure what the hit-rate is on them, although Goff did come from a spread system.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won a Super Bowl two years ago. Guys don't generally lose their jobs this shortly after winning a Super Bowl.

Yep, with that dinged #1 overall QB available as that team drafted a new #1 overall QB.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends. If you use your own pick, you have a better chance. Elway seems to still have a job, and he traded up (late in the first though). If you spend 4-5 picks trading up, no chance.
Elway had just won a Super Bowl because Peyton and Wade Phillips wanted him to. That Paxton pick has him on the ropes now. Used up all the good will, just like that, by forcing a horribly inept QB prospect onto his franchise.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayfield will be the best pro. He appears to be the most NFL ready right now. Darnold must have been very impressive in games I didn't watch to be getting the love he is. He looked like a very raw project with a big arm to me.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway had just won a Super Bowl because Peyton and Wade Phillips wanted him to. That Paxton pick has him on the ropes now. Used up all the good will, just like that, by forcing a horribly inept QB prospect onto his franchise.

It's not just that, it's been multiple bad QB decisions (and I'm afraid he made another by overpaying for Case Keenum). Broncos got temporarily bailed out of Brock, Paxton, Siemian, Tebow, Orton, etc by acquiring the end of Manning's career.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just that, it's been multiple bad QB decisions (and I'm afraid he made another by overpaying for Case Keenum). Broncos got temporarily bailed out of Brock, Paxton, Siemian, Tebow, Orton, etc by acquiring the end of Manning's career.
Ok, so your Elway example sucks and isn't comparable anyway. Do you have any others?