• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round Tracker 2018

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have loved to play another nine, if there was ever a time for me to break 80, it was yesterday. The back plays harder then the front, so it was doable.

Problem was I had my wife's clubs in the car and she had league night, so I had to get her clubs back in time. If the course was moving quicker, I would have given it a shot.

We have plenty of golf season left...at least that's what I kept telling myself...of course this did come just as I'm taking a couple of weeks off from golf...already itching to put the game to the test again to try and get below 79 before the year is out.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have plenty of golf season left...at least that's what I kept telling myself...of course this did come just as I'm taking a couple of weeks off from golf...already itching to put the game to the test again to try and get below 79 before the year is out.

Your 79 deserves a quote and a gif!

d87f92-20160930-golf-clap.gif

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My course is closed this weekend for a big 3 day tourney but get this. Our pro can get us an invite onto several of the area private courses that reciprocate with us on allied days and sech. He said he can get us onto a very nice private course but the list is full for this weekend. My buddy's working on an invite to one of two other area private courses for today or tomorrow.

I'm spoiled!

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the 38 earlier in the week was an aberration. Shot a 43 on the front. Took a six on a par three, tee shot into the front bunker, second shot the ball rolled back in, third shot cleared the green, chipped down the hill and teo putted.

Pretty windy day. Had a second shot from 152 yards. Normally i would hit a PW short and let it roll on, instead used an 8 iron and still came up short. So it was a good two plus club wind.

I'm still not sure what to do on a stiff cross wind, do you guys normally use a little more club, or do you only do that when hitting into the wind?

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was 108 yesterday. Supposed to be 105 today. Getting ready to head out and hopefully get finished before the temperature (and my score card) reaches triple digits.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so I got a question. I'm playing with my kid who's not too good yet. I'm like 45 degrees from the angle from him and the hole but I'm ready for it. As predicted, he hits a line drive right at my head but I use his bag that I'm holding as a shield and block it back into the middle of the fairway. What's the penalty for that?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two strokes in stroke play and loss of hole in match play for striking your own equipment.

Well shit, we didn't get that fancy invite worked out....guess the pro was too busy with the tourney to get back to us. We played a couple of public courses this weekend. Let's just say that it was nice to be home yesterday.

In general, I'm playing very well and the new putter is saving me a couple of strokes each round minimum. Spotty weather here so if we play the league tonight, it'll be in showers.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weather cleared up nicely and my game came together. A solid +2 over 11 holes. My new putter has accounted for a couple of strokes per side.

Played against an older dude who had a beer in his hand, a terribly shitty swing and a temper. Cripes bro, what are you so mad about? Why don't shitty golfers realize that they're shitty?

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weather cleared up nicely and my game came together. A solid +2 over 11 holes. My new putter has accounted for a couple of strokes per side.

Played against an older dude who had a beer in his hand, a terribly shitty swing and a temper. Cripes bro, what are you so mad about? Why don't shitty golfers realize that they're shitty?

We do, but every once in awhile you'd like to hit a good shot.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the 38 earlier in the week was an aberration. Shot a 43 on the front. Took a six on a par three, tee shot into the front bunker, second shot the ball rolled back in, third shot cleared the green, chipped down the hill and teo putted.

Pretty windy day. Had a second shot from 152 yards. Normally i would hit a PW short and let it roll on, instead used an 8 iron and still came up short. So it was a good two plus club wind.

I'm still not sure what to do on a stiff cross wind, do you guys normally use a little more club, or do you only do that when hitting into the wind?

Well...it's golf...good chance you'll post more sub 40 scores for 9 holes. If you were doing it every week, you'd probably figure out a way to get 18 in just to answer that what if...

In my experience a stiff cross wind hurts a ball spinning against the wind...so more club there, and helps a ball riding the wind but I would probably play my normal club for the distance, aim a little more off target and let the wind bring it in.

Haven't picked up a club since my 79...Just got back in town yesterday and no golf this weekend either so maybe 1st weekend in Aug I'll get back on the horse again a full 3 weeks later.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good question.

I literally had it out on the course with my best buddy about 2 yrs ago...I've played more golf with him than any other person. 100's of rounds over the 20 yrs we've been friends. Well, his game has been in decline for many yrs largely because he couldn't play due to finances, job changes, other interests, etc.

But, he's my friend so when he calls to play, normally I would play with him and inevitably he would hit a bad shot and his game would start going south, and here comes all the antics as if he expects to be shooting 77-80 every time out....he does this all the time, but when we're paired with other players, several have commented to me about it. On this one occasion after another outburst I finally had enough and in front of these two guys on the tee box, I say when was the last f-ing time you broke 95 man! Give it a f-ing rest. Drop the fake persona and just play golf will ya?...we all will hit bad shots, but these guys don't want to hear all this shit after every bad shot.

I'd never done that before so it was a shock to the system...both of ours actually. But he played the rest of the round without all that BS. The interesting part was we drove to the course together so on the drive back home there was silence for a long time...maybe 10 mins, but it seemed like 20. I finally broke the silence and said I didn't intend to embarrass you today, but I just had reached a boiling point and said what I said...sorry, but if you can't get a grip on this maybe we need to take a break from playing.

We did...about 8 mos. He recently played as a 4th with my new group...him being him, he started down this round again, and one of the guys that doesn't mince words often said hey, don't drag us down into that dark place with you...he quickly recognized what that meant and for the most part shot his normal...95-102 without anymore major outbursts.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had another fine round yesterday. As usual we had this beautiful golf course all to ourselves in the afternoon. Crazy humidity and we both faded a bit at the end but carded 77s. Phil was 39/38 and I was 40/37.

Started missing my driver on 15,16 & 17....usable but not great drives. Then on 18 I boomed one down the middle, hit the green with a PW and rolled in the 15ft birdie. Sweet way to end.

I've come a long way from that shoulder injury and really feel like right now I'm on top of my game. Hey I might shoot a 90 today 'cause that's golf but as much as you can be confident, I'm very pleased here in the mid season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had another fine round yesterday. As usual we had this beautiful golf course all to ourselves in the afternoon. Crazy humidity and we both faded a bit at the end but carded 77s. Phil was 39/38 and I was 40/37.

Started missing my driver on 15,16 & 17....usable but not great drives. Then on 18 I boomed one down the middle, hit the green with a PW and rolled in the 15ft birdie. Sweet way to end.

I've come a long way from that shoulder injury and really feel like right now I'm on top of my game. Hey I might shoot a 90 today 'cause that's golf but as much as you can be confident, I'm very pleased here in the mid season.

Tied up most of the weekend so I won't get to play, but I'm not pleased nor disappointed mid season...a little tweak with my grip (weakened it slightly) seems to be helping with my irons...long game is mostly okay...the new Titleist 917D2 only has 3 rounds on it, but my last round was one of the best driving rounds I've had this year at Bears Best...the real test is taking it to the home course.

AUG will be much of the same weather wise so I'll just have to grin and bear it for another month, but I'm looking forward to the back half of the golf season.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was experimenting with my driver yesterday. By allowing my left heel to raise I was able to get more rotation in my back swing and my lower body to start rotating before my upper body. I also weakened my grip. The ball was going further and straighter.

Only played 14 holes, used the technique on eight holes, and five of those drives were some of the furthest I've hit this year. The dry fairways certainly helped, but they also carried much further.

Now I need to work on consistency and see if that technique will work on irons as well....don't know why it wouldn't.

Might save the knees as well.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice!

One of the things that has me confident right now is that I know how to swing to get a good drive. A month ago I was lost and really had no clue what the ball was going to do. That's a scary way to play golf. I still hit bad ones but the diff is that I know what I did wrong when I do and am better at avoiding a repeat.

....just don't over-do that heel coming off the ground but it sounds like you're on to something. Good luck.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was experimenting with my driver yesterday. By allowing my left heel to raise I was able to get more rotation in my back swing and my lower body to start rotating before my upper body. I also weakened my grip. The ball was going further and straighter.

Only played 14 holes, used the technique on eight holes, and five of those drives were some of the furthest I've hit this year. The dry fairways certainly helped, but they also carried much further.

Now I need to work on consistency and see if that technique will work on irons as well....don't know why it wouldn't.

Might save the knees as well.

As we get older and less flexible...that heel off the ground can help...Nicklaus played that way and had a decent career....lol

Now that I have dropped a few pounds, I find I do better keeping my left heel on the ground as much as possible now...on the downswing my left heel would come back to the ground, but I wasn't getting my weight fully back on my left side so I hitting this left to left pull....ugly.

You just said the key word...consistency...that's what we all fight.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 84 the other day which would have been a disappointment if you told me before teeing off even though it isn't much above my average. Opened great cruising along and chunk a 5 iron on 4 that finds trouble and doubled then just leaked out bogeys all day. I had this round getting away from me where I'm looking at 87-88 if this shit keeps up.

So what saves the round is that I somehow mustered up enough concentration to close really strong. On 16 I piped it down the middle, 5 iron to the green, almost sunk the birdie putt. On 17 I piped it down the middle, 9 iron to the green, two putts. On 18 I piped it down the middle, PW to the green...just missed the 10 footer for bird. So a solid par par par finish saved the day.

League tonight...hopefully a better scoring round.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+6 for 11 holes....meh.

Played a couple of cheaters and haven't had that in a spell. Dude hits directly into a tree halfway between him and the green and the ball falls straight down. I'm closer to the green and I see them entering the knee-tall grass/unkept area to look for his ball. Just as I'm about to yell over "hey, it fell back even with the tree" they magically found his ball a full 25yds forward of the tree. I clearly saw it fall and in that stuff, no way it kicked forward.

On another hole with a blind downhill drive dude hits one that could be OB. We were walking and they were in a cart so they sped off. We see them sweeping a club around in the OB area clearly over the stake line looking for at least a half minute or so. When I arrive, he's found his ball in plain view inches inside the stakes. Not sure what he was sweeping around for if his ball was in clear sight.

I just ordered the G400 3 wood to match my driver even though I hit the best shot of my life with my current one last night! Worm-burned a shitty tee shot and made a recovery. That left my 3rd on the par five 190+ uphill with a narrow throat. I just couldn't have pured it any better and it ended up 12ft and I almost made the birdie. Still, I hate the thing and look forward to a matching 3 wood.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 84 the other day which would have been a disappointment if you told me before teeing off even though it isn't much above my average. Opened great cruising along and chunk a 5 iron on 4 that finds trouble and doubled then just leaked out bogeys all day. I had this round getting away from me where I'm looking at 87-88 if this shit keeps up.

So what saves the round is that I somehow mustered up enough concentration to close really strong. On 16 I piped it down the middle, 5 iron to the green, almost sunk the birdie putt. On 17 I piped it down the middle, 9 iron to the green, two putts. On 18 I piped it down the middle, PW to the green...just missed the 10 footer for bird. So a solid par par par finish saved the day.

League tonight...hopefully a better scoring round.

Some days for whatever reason, it's like that...gotta grind to get in the house with a decent score....in my world...84 is decent...87-88 is acceptable.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+6 for 11 holes....meh.

Played a couple of cheaters and haven't had that in a spell. Dude hits directly into a tree halfway between him and the green and the ball falls straight down. I'm closer to the green and I see them entering the knee-tall grass/unkept area to look for his ball. Just as I'm about to yell over "hey, it fell back even with the tree" they magically found his ball a full 25yds forward of the tree. I clearly saw it fall and in that stuff, no way it kicked forward.

On another hole with a blind downhill drive dude hits one that could be OB. We were walking and they were in a cart so they sped off. We see them sweeping a club around in the OB area clearly over the stake line looking for at least a half minute or so. When I arrive, he's found his ball in plain view inches inside the stakes. Not sure what he was sweeping around for if his ball was in clear sight.

I just ordered the G400 3 wood to match my driver even though I hit the best shot of my life with my current one last night! Worm-burned a shitty tee shot and made a recovery. That left my 3rd on the par five 190+ uphill with a narrow throat. I just couldn't have pured it any better and it ended up 12ft and I almost made the birdie. Still, I hate the thing and look forward to a matching 3 wood.

F'ing POS...shit like that drove me away from tournament golf. I played the local version of the AM Tour for a while and ran into some stuff like that and it soured me...it's not golf. Admittedly it was rare, but still.

I just put a TM M2 3w in the bag same week as the new driver...nice off the tee, not many opportunities off the deck yet...if the weather holds up I expect to be back out there this weekend.