• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 1 - Boston vs. Toronto

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and seriously, fuck the officials and the DOPS.

How they miss shit like this, how they don't suspend Kucherov for doing literally exactly what cost Drew Doughty a game, how they drop a 3 gamer in the playoffs on Kadri for a hit where the guy missed 2 games while Marchand gets 5 during the regular season for knocking Marcus Johansen out for half a season...where does it end?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is not a good recipe for playoff success. Really disheartening to see from the core they want to take them to the promised land.

The fan base will have some very vocal and mixed feelings this summer. Some interesting decisions to be made.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and seriously, fuck the officials and the DOPS.

How they miss shit like this, how they don't suspend Kucherov for doing literally exactly what cost Drew Doughty a game, how they drop a 3 gamer in the playoffs on Kadri for a hit where the guy missed 2 games while Marchand gets 5 during the regular season for knocking Marcus Johansen out for half a season...where does it end?

I have a newfound respect for Marner after this season. I was not sure about him during his rookie year, now he might be the only one on my untouchable list.

But yeah, DOPS are an embarassment.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a newfound respect for Marner after this season. I was not sure about him during his rookie year, now he might be the only one on my untouchable list.

Marner's the only forward who showed up for this series. Nylander was awful last night. Matthews was invisible and just kinda hung around as Pasternak broke up the wing for the go-ahead goal. Whatever Babcock's preaching to those two, it ain't working.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marner's the only forward who showed up for this series. Nylander was awful last night. Matthews was invisible and just kinda hung around as Pasternak broke up the wing for the go-ahead goal. Whatever Babcock's preaching to those two, it ain't working.

I know that you know this already and I apologize for saying it as a result, but... overreacting to one game/series is a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying there's nothing here to process and evaluate, just that we should be careful.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that you know this already and I apologize for saying it as a result, but... overreacting to one game/series is a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying there's nothing here to process and evaluate, just that we should be careful.
I don't think anyone said trade them or anything. It does worry me how little effect those two had though and I think that's more than fair. These are guys who will become the highest-paid players on the team between now and next summer. If you're gonna get that money you had better show why you're worth it.

Keep in mind that Pasternak is 24 days younger than Nylander and he has 11 points. If the roles were reversed Pasternak would be getting roasted.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leafs are a cap team who have traded high draft picks for rentals and signed expensive veterans for that "push over the edge". They paid through the ass for a top coach and played as many playoff games a year ago as their opponents did. To think expectations weren't raised and therefore disappointment wouldn't be amplified doesn't make any sense. They could come back next year gangbusters with a defence that actually functions across the blue line and make a Cup run and nobody remembers this, but today it's sucky. Maybe Sunday morning it's hopeful again but now it ain't.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like old man Chara is doing the same thing to Matthews that he did to Henrik Sedin 7 years ago :noidea:

you can put another one on the board for old man strength!!!

oldman-strength.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leafs are a cap team who have traded high draft picks for rentals and signed expensive veterans for that "push over the edge". They paid through the ass for a top coach and played as many playoff games a year ago as their opponents did. To think expectations weren't raised and therefore disappointment wouldn't be amplified doesn't make any sense. They could come back next year gangbusters with a defence that actually functions across the blue line and make a Cup run and nobody remembers this, but today it's sucky. Maybe Sunday morning it's hopeful again but now it ain't.

I said it during one of the Oilers recent "rebuilds" and it applies to Toronto to a degree too, IMO. You need to start the rebuild with good young blueliners and THEN get the high end forwards. They take longer to develop into impact players (most of the time) and are every bit as important. If you fill your stable high end forwards first you don't really have the option of drafting good D who will be good enough before the young forwards cheap window ends. Then you have to liquidate some of your top end forwards at bargain basement prices, eg. Hall and Eberle.

The Leafs have done better than the Coil with Rielly being a legit top pairing player but it's going to be tricky for the Leafs to address blueline needs as Marner, Matthews and Nylander come up for extensions. But who knows, maybe a guy like Lilljegren breaks out sooner rather than later and Jim Hughson and company won't have to cry themselves to sleep for a couple of weeks every April.

Or maybe the Leafs come back and win 3 straight starting on Saturday.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody knows how to play with the puck at RD. Nobody. I counted ten times Polak received the puck one way or another and just launched it at the glass behind the net. I'll bet every Leaf icing came from the RD, too.

tumblr_owjl589F7D1ua1vrwo1_540.gif

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone said trade them or anything. It does worry me how little effect those two had though and I think that's more than fair. These are guys who will become the highest-paid players on the team between now and next summer. If you're gonna get that money you had better show why you're worth it.

Keep in mind that Pasternak is 24 days younger than Nylander and he has 11 points. If the roles were reversed Pasternak would be getting roasted.

And I would think that was an overreaction on the part of Bruins' fans too.

It is one series. Hell, not even an entire series.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would think that was an overreaction on the part of Bruins' fans too.

It is one series. Hell, not even an entire series.

Only one comment to add. What always happens AFTER a playoff series is over? We find out the truth about injuries.

Not saying anyone on the Leafs is banged up, point is you just never know.