• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roughing the Passer Non-Call for Tannehill

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if I was missing something about the non-call when Calais Campbell dove at Tannehill's knees so I checked the NFL Official Player Safety Rules:

3. Hitting a Passer's Knees. A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him. Note 1: A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he is being contacted by another player. Note 2: It is not a foul if the defender swipes, wraps, or grabs a passer in the knee area or below in an attempt to tackle him.

It just confirms that the officials missed a call that probably ended Tannehill's season. The officials usually do a great job but that was a big call to miss.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB Nation showed a camera angle from above. It looks less clear from that angle that Campbell had intent to dive into Tannehill. B Albert appeared to give Cambell a shove during the play. In hindsight, the team would have been better off if Albert tackles Campbell to the ground & gets a holding penalty before he gets to THill. Things happen fast in football. What an unfortunate play though for Tannehill & the team.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really get the overall point here. He's still injured, regardless if a flag was thrown. And we won.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really get the overall point here. He's still injured, regardless if a flag was thrown. And we won.
Bottom line is that Brady gets that call all day long but the Fins QB's don't get that benefit... pretty sad. Even worse that he's hurt now.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MCL and ACL sprain. Good news.
GREAT news! If anything he won't have to spend a year of his life rehabbing. I believe that Moore can hold the fort until he's ready to come back just need to keep running the ball and play good D.

Still pisses me off that there wasn't even a flag on the play how does the NFL expect to keep this stuff from happening when they don't even call their own rules? Don't hit brady or you'll get called but feel free to tee off on other QB's with no penalty....nice message.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Southieinnc, these players put in a lot of work to get to where they have a chance at going to the playoffs. To get hurt is heartbreaking. Heck, even when you aren't a pro athlete but you're active and a major injury like an ACL tear happens to you it's a huge adjustment. I'm glad it's just a sprain. I hope it recovers well. Sprains can become tears if he gets reinjured. If he is able to play later this season he'd have to wear a brace. It's a psychological thing that you deal with as an athlete as you learn that you can trust your knee again.

Matt Moore has a chance to prove himself. He could actually build a legacy if he leads the Fins to the playoffs. I think the Fins have a real chance to beat Buffalo & the Bills even on the road. The Pats could be playing safe and resting starters although we saw what happened last year. A late loss to the Fins led to a road game at Denver. The Pats may decide they need the last game. Either way the Fins play well at home (6-1 this year).

Last edited by a moderator:

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Fins could still beat the Jets & Bills. They have already beat these teams once this year. It's tougher on the road but not impossible. RE the Pats: The Fins have split the series with them three years in a row. A win wouldn't be easy but it's not impossible especially as a home game for the Fins.