• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rough Evening...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got home and was all excited to put in my 1080 video card and another 500 gb 850 EVO.

Crack open my case, video card goes in no problem. Couldn't remember which bay my SSD went into so pulled it out, found it. Pushed the bay back in, little tight but it went in fine. Undo the back of my case and noticed the cable from the SSD to the mobo came loose. No big deal. Go to plug it back in and the plastic broke off... the cable wont hold.

UGHHHHHHHH!!!! It's the only and primary OS drive. Call Samsung, "Yes we can fix it, warranty will cover it, BUT we have to wipe everything on the drive for liability purposes." "Can I super glue it on for now?" "Well you can but that violates the warranty."

FUCKBEANS.

3 hours later I'm now running everything primary on the 850 EVO. God DAMN I can clean a computer (was dusty), backup data, format a new OS/install a new HD and be back and running in no time :) Sad thing is all those 70 gb games have to re-download NOOOOO!!!!

I was lucky enough that none of the prongs broke off the HD so I was able to hold the fucker with a rubber band onto the cable to the mobo while my case was wide open lol. JUST enough to back up my data. I had most things backed up but I was concerned because NONE of my email was backed up and there's a lot of financial/banking/condo info. there. Fortunately it all worked out.

Now to send my SSD back to Samsung so they can fix it. It was a Samsung EVO 840 so it's probably better suited for storage anyway. Fuckin' plastic man... $180 for that shit, you'd think they'd use something a little stronger.

Anyway, all in all probably worked out better. OS is now running off the faster/newer hard drive, ALL new drivers, and probably all the crap on my machine from my massive p0rn sprees is gone forever, at least for another week.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you super-glued the issue and voided the warranty?

No, as I said below I forced it back in, and then held the cable and SSD in place with a rubber band, lol. Certainly not a long term solution, but my only worry at that point was backing up data.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you might not even think about a problem here for the long term, so problem fixed. End result is what counts.

Hmm, well it's fixed for the long term as the 850 EVO (brand new) is now running the entire system and the 840 is out of the case and sitting on the counter to send to Samsung. :)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all that stuff went in one ear and out the next…i was referring to the "rubber band" fix here.

salude

:suds:

Ah, to be honest I wasn't sure what you meant. But yah lol

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never broke the plastic off the drive part, but I've broken several SATA cable plastic trim and busted a couple of SATA power cables the same way. Shit is sometimes thin. I'm always super careful with SSD's and 2.5 drives.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never broke the plastic off the drive part, but I've broken several SATA cable plastic trim and busted a couple of SATA power cables the same way. Shit is sometimes thin. I'm always super careful with SSD's and 2.5 drives.

Yah pulled the case bay out and think I was a little careless when I pushed back in.

Fortunately Samsung will repair free of charge. Still sucks it took a couple hours out of my night :(

But in hindsight prob. best to have my OS/primary games on the faster/newer hard drive. If the plastic broke that easily perhaps it was getting ready to go. I have a Thermaltake case which is FANTASTIC (airflow/space) but the HD bays are kind of annoying... I remember the wiring for the SSD was by FAR the most annoying.