• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

rookie class so far qbs

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeShone Kizer20/302227.4117-4227.585.7TEAM20/301807.4117-42--85.7

Deshaun Watson 12/23 102 4.4 1 1 4-21 42.7 60.4

no others got in the game

could these guys have done better then what we had vs eagles ?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough to say. I do think both are the future of their respective franchises but both QBs faces very tough defenses. Texans play Cincinnati and the Browns play the Ravens so Kizer will have a tough test again. If Watson plays next week, I think we will get a better view of how he can play. Doesn't help, also, that Cleveland doesn't really have any receiving weapons outside Corey Coleman. Tough to say. The more I watch college football, the more I think teams might be smart to try and go for Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. The 2018 QB class is going to be KILLER. Especially if Darnold can step it up.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kizer would've been an interesting choice. From what I've read/heard he wasn't terrible against Pitt in the face of habitual pressure. And as Terry alludes to, he doesn't have a lot of weapons to work with.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kizer would've been an interesting choice. From what I've read/heard he wasn't terrible against Pitt in the face of habitual pressure. And as Terry alludes to, he doesn't have a lot of weapons to work with.

rookies need time to learn , i think both can be pretty good but alas its one game

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to say. I do think both are the future of their respective franchises but both QBs faces very tough defenses. Texans play Cincinnati and the Browns play the Ravens so Kizer will have a tough test again. If Watson plays next week, I think we will get a better view of how he can play. Doesn't help, also, that Cleveland doesn't really have any receiving weapons outside Corey Coleman. Tough to say. The more I watch college football, the more I think teams might be smart to try and go for Baker Mayfield or Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph. The 2018 QB class is going to be KILLER. Especially if Darnold can step it up.
i think those teams should keep playing their rookies . but people in our fan base A) believe we are better then we are B) dont believe playing rookies at QB wont cause a set back

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rookies need time to learn , i think both can be pretty good but alas its one game

OK......what does that have to do with the question you asked? Or maybe I misunderstood the question. Lemme give my breakdown of it.

You asked if Kizer or Watson could've done better against the Eagles than Kirk did. Considering the game Kirk played, which I watched. And considering what I heard about the game Kizer had against Pitt, which I didn't watch. So I'm going by what others said and highlight footage.

I think Kizer inserted in place of Kirk yesterday and playing the Eagles would've made for something interesting to see. So yeah, in the strict confines of which I took your question. Along with my eyewitness accounting of Kirk's play against the Eagles. As well as the positives I heard concerning Kizer's game against Pitt. I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that Kizer could've been a better option against the Eagles than Kirk was.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breed, you answered it perfectly. I think Keizer may have played better for us yesterday. That being said, I don't think he is the better QB.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK......what does that have to do with the question you asked? Or maybe I misunderstood the question. Lemme give my breakdown of it.

You asked if Kizer or Watson could've done better against the Eagles than Kirk did. Considering the game Kirk played, which I watched. And considering what I heard about the game Kizer had against Pitt, which I didn't watch. So I'm going by what others said and highlight footage.

I think Kizer inserted in place of Kirk yesterday and playing the Eagles would've made for something interesting to see. So yeah, in the strict confines of which I took your question. Along with my eyewitness accounting of Kirk's play against the Eagles. As well as the positives I heard concerning Kizer's game against Pitt. I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility that Kizer could've been a better option against the Eagles than Kirk was.
you answered the question and that was cool . i to believe kizer (yesterday ) would have been interesting

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and @skinsdad62

After I watched parts of the game over last night. Your assessment was much more on point than mine concerning the deep pass on the first play of the game. I still believe Pryor lost track of the ball or worse, maybe never really got track of it in the first place. But the pass itself was pretty good and had Pryor been able to track it.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't think either would have done better against the eagles. For the sole reason that neither has the experience and wisdom to change protections at the line in the face of a fierce Eagles rush. Remember, they would have had to play behind that same putrid Oline KC had to deal with. I just don't see any rookie capable of doing what it took to out maneuver the Eagles pass rush.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and @skinsdad62

After I watched parts of the game over last night. Your assessment was much more on point than mine concerning the deep pass on the first play of the game. I still believe Pryor lost track of the ball or worse, maybe never really got track of it in the first place. But the pass itself was pretty good and had Pryor been able to track it.

The pass was a good pass. If he could have found it, it was placed only where Pryor could catch it. While it looked initially as if it was overthrown, if pyror would have seen the ball from the outset, he would have not slowed down as he did when trying to find it.

I am very underwhelmed why what I have seen from Pyror this preseason and 1st game. I hope this is an aberration.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and @skinsdad62

no issue and thanks for the honesty . you have corrected me on a lot more stuff so cool beans

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass was a good pass. If he could have found it, it was placed only where Pryor could catch it. While it looked initially as if it was overthrown, if pyror would have seen the ball from the outset, he would have not slowed down as he did when trying to find it.

I am very underwhelmed why what I have seen from Pyror this preseason and 1st game. I hope this is an aberration.

I agree with you that Cuz put the ball only where Pryor could catch it. I'm wondering if Pryor simply didn't get his head around soon enough or maybe hoping that's the case. My other thoughts about the play is what if Pryor's tracking and ability to adjust to a ball in the air are below par or simply not there. I haven't seen him make any over the shoulder catches or catches where he's running forward with his back to the ball. All his catches and drops Sunday were on crossing routes. Even his drop on the bomb.

I can't help, but think of all those Skins fans who wanted Djax gone cause they claimed, very incorrectly I'd add, that all Jackson did was go deep. I just hope we don't have a WR who can't go deep.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breed, you answered it perfectly. I think Keizer may have played better for us yesterday. That being said, I don't think he is the better QB.

I can get on-board with that.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that Cuz put the ball only where Pryor could catch it. I'm wondering if Pryor simply didn't get his head around soon enough or maybe hoping that's the case. My other thoughts about the play is what if Pryor's tracking and ability to adjust to a ball in the air are below par or simply not there. I haven't seen him make any over the shoulder catches or catches where he's running forward with his back to the ball. All his catches and drops Sunday were on crossing routes. Even his drop on the bomb.

I can't help, but think of all those Skins fans who wanted Djax gone cause they claimed, very incorrectly I'd add, that all Jackson did was go deep. I just hope we don't have a WR who can't go deep.

its one game , lets hope it isnt a trend .

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y19 said:
No, I don't think either would have done better against the eagles. For the sole reason that neither has the experience and wisdom to change protections at the line in the face of a fierce Eagles rush. Remember, they would have had to play behind that same putrid Oline KC had to deal with. I just don't see any rookie capable of doing what it took to out maneuver the Eagles pass rush.

That's a valid opinion no doubt, but what I think would've helped a rookie, or at least I hope it would. Is that playing a rookie QB might've forced the coaching staff to come up with a better or at least more balanced game-plan.

Now I agree with everyone else that the run game didn't give the Redskins much as it was sub-par and needs to get on the stick. But the Redskins last running play of the game came with 14 min 31 sec left in the 4th quarter. The score at the time was 19-17 Philly. The Eagles didn't score again till 2 min 2 sec was left in the game making it 22-17.

There was no reason, at least imo, that 10 of the 11 plays the Skins offense ran in the 4th quarter had to be pass plays. Especially in a game where the Eagles lead was all of 2 points for 13 minutes of the 4th quarter.

I like Gruden. I think he's a capable coach with the potential to become a good one. A real good one perhaps. But if lip service is really all that gets paid to the running game. Along with what seems to be an attitude that its cool or OK to come out the starting gate every year as if we're running in wet cement. Well lets just say I think these things need to change. That doesn't mean I'm calling for Gruden's head right now or anything, but the starting out behind the 8 ball every year and trying to turn Kirk into a 40 passes every game QB or whatever it is Gruden ism looking for. I think has gathered enough data to make the determination that it isn't working.

And speaking of paying lip service to the running game. I know this is a diferentb era of NFL and all that and the importance of RBs has been diminished significantly and adequate RBs can be found in the lower rounds and all that. But just maybe the reason Rob Kelley was a undrafted FA and Perine (why didn't he play?) was a 4th rd pk. Is because that's where their talent level and college production dictated that's where they belonged.

In the random thoughts dept:
I wonder where the Skins had Kareem Hunt slotted to be drafted or if he was even on their radar.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a valid opinion no doubt, but what I think would've helped a rookie, or at least I hope it would. Is that playing a rookie QB might've forced the coaching staff to come up with a better or at least more balanced game-plan.

Now I agree with everyone else that the run game didn't give the Redskins much as it was sub-par and needs to get on the stick. But the Redskins last running play of the game came with 14 min 31 sec left in the 4th quarter. The score at the time was 19-17 Philly. The Eagles didn't score again till 2 min 2 sec was left in the game making it 22-17.

There was no reason, at least imo, that 10 of the 11 plays the Skins offense ran in the 4th quarter had to be pass plays. Especially in a game where the Eagles lead was all of 2 points for 13 minutes of the 4th quarter.

I like Gruden. I think he's a capable coach with the potential to become a good one. A real good one perhaps. But if lip service is really all that gets paid to the running game. Along with what seems to be an attitude that its cool or OK to come out the starting gate every year as if we're running in wet cement. Well lets just say I think these things need to change. That doesn't mean I'm calling for Gruden's head right now or anything, but the starting out behind the 8 ball every year and trying to turn Kirk into a 40 passes every game QB or whatever it is Gruden ism looking for. I think has gathered enough data to make the determination that it isn't working.

And speaking of paying lip service to the running game. I know this is a diferentb era of NFL and all that and the importance of RBs has been diminished significantly and adequate RBs can be found in the lower rounds and all that. But just maybe the reason Rob Kelley was a undrafted FA and Perine (why didn't he play?) was a 4th rd pk. Is because that's where their talent level and college production dictated that's where they belonged.

In the random thoughts dept:
I wonder where the Skins had Kareem Hunt slotted to be drafted or if he was even on their radar.

This run game issue is a catch 22. Gruden gives up on the run early because it is ineffective. But running games take its toll on the defense the more you use it. There isn't anyone thing you can point to as the issue. We do not have even an average NFL RB ons the roster, except maybe CT and he can't be an every down back. Perine is just either not ready or not what they thought they were getting. Apparently he really sucks at pass blocking. On a team that throws 75% of the time, your RB needs to be able to identify and pickup the blitz. Kelly, as I've posted before, is a great guy and gives it all, but there are no DCs out there that are losing sleep because they are playing fat Rob this weekend.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This run game issue is a catch 22. Gruden gives up on the run early because it is ineffective. But running games take its toll on the defense the more you use it. There isn't anyone thing you can point to as the issue. We do not have even an average NFL RB ons the roster, except maybe CT and he can't be an every down back. Perine is just either not ready or not what they thought they were getting. Apparently he really sucks at pass blocking. On a team that throws 75% of the time, your RB needs to be able to identify and pickup the blitz. Kelly, as I've posted before, is a great guy and gives it all, but there are no DCs out there that are losing sleep because they are playing fat Rob this weekend.

I think our coaches don't want to play young guys for whatever reason. There is this fallacy that exists that says veterans are better. A shitty veteran is far worse than a more talented rookie. As for Perrine's blocking, can it be worse than what we had Sunday? Here is also a crazy, crazy idea. Throw a few screen passes to slow the pass rush.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most 1st year RBs suck at pass protection. They don't have to do it in college and if they do the level of sophistication is much lower as well as the level of talent. It takes time. Even with all that some are good at it and some aren't.