• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not look like Romo is in the position were he will get stuck going to a place where he does not want to go.

But your right, I really doubt he is going to retire if he has a starting job in the NFL. Maybe if the only teams calling are horrendous and are barley expedited to win more than 3 or 4 games.

Houston would be wise to pursue him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does not look like Romo is in the position were he will get stuck going to a place where he does not want to go.

But your right, I really doubt he is going to retire if he has a starting job in the NFL. Maybe if the only teams calling are horrendous and are barley expedited to win more than 3 or 4 games.
I totally think Romo is willing to leave some money on the table for the right situation and a chance to win, but I think as long as one team is willing to have him as their starter he won't retire no matter who. I think he loves being an NFL QB and isn't ready to give that up. Now if the only team is Cleveland??? Well, I'm not sure he would go there, but any team with even a prayer to win I think he will play for. I think he is very aware of his legacy and I don't think he wants it to end this way. If all he wanted was a championship, then Dallas is closer than most teams so why push to go? He wants to play more than he wants a championship:2cents:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston would be wise to pursue him.
It does seem like the perfect fit for him and for Houston. I really hope he ends up there even more than Denver. I think he can make a run at a championship with that team if he stays healthy and being as it is an AFC team we can root for him to win without worrying about the impact on the Cowboys.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. One team I think could come in play besides Denver and Houston is Jacksonville. They've made some nice adds in FA, and most of their losses were poor to average performances by Bortles. They are in a very winnable division as well

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jacksonville hinted they had interest, Houston would be forced to trade for Romo. He would own them and that division if they let him go to Jacksonville. They have some nice talent there.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Dallas isn't/hasn't allowed possible trade partners the right to negotiate a new deal with Romo.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Tony Romo's legacy as a Dallas Cowboys quarterback?

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (9) is all smiles after defeating the Detroit Lions in a playoff game at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, on Sunday, January 4, 2015. The Dallas Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 24-20 to advance in the playoffs. (Vernon Bryant/The Dallas Morning News)

By Brandon George and Jon Machota

SportsDay insiders Brandon George and Jon Machota bring you the latest on the Dallas Cowboys in this episode of Candidly Cowboys.

On what Tony Romo's legacy in Dallas will be...
George: He's got all these passing records with the Cowboys; he just never had the playoff success. And that's really, when we start asking - What are people going to remember about Tony Romo? - I think it's going to be he got them to the doorstep a couple of times and he could never get over the hump.

Never got past the divisional round of the playoffs, had very little playoff success, and you'll remember some great regular seasons, some great regular season wins, some great passing records, the Romo spin move, how tough this guy was, how he overcame a lot of injuries, but you'll also remember the downside that he was hurt a lot, and he didn't get the Cowboys much playoff success.

Machota: That's the thing about Romo. There's an argument for both sides of it. He had some really high highs, but he also had some really low lows.

So, you can criticize him for the injuries, and you can criticize him for the lack of playoff success - which is deserved, he'd be the first to tell you that - but then he also deserves credit on the other side for those years when they were 8-8 and maybe they weren't even 8-win teams. Maybe those should have been 4- or 5-win teams judging by the talent that was on those teams, and he had them in playoff contention each of those years right down to the very end.

So, I guess for me, I don't put him in this elite - one of the game's greats level - I don't put him in the same category as a Troy Aikman or Roger Staubach. When you're in this Cowboys organization, you have to win Super Bowls to be in that level ... That's what's separating Tony from being in that class.

If Tony did win multiple Super Bowls, we'd be talking about Tony Romo as a Hall of Fame player. Tony Romo's not a Hall of Fame player. Maybe that will change if he goes to a team like Denver or Houston and he's able to lead them to a Super Bowl or a couple of really successful seasons. Right now, I look at Tony as being - he's a Ring of Honor guy, he's just not a Hall of Fame guy.

George: Really Romo compares more favorably to Danny White in a lot of ways - even Danny White had more playoff success than Tony Romo did ... I think with all the records he has, and he plays in a passing era in the NFL so that plays into it, obviously - I think you can make the argument he's as equal to Danny White or close to it. I don't think you can say one's better than the other...

...For the longest time, I guess the last three of four years we've covered him, [Romo]'s always said, 'I know I'm going to be judged by my playoff success or failures.' And he knew that. He wanted so badly to take this organization to the Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl. And he always said not just for him, he wanted to do it for his teammates, for Jerry, for the city, all those things. And he knows that's his legacy. He knows his legacy is going to go down because of the lack of playoff success. It's really a sad ending in a lot of ways for all he gave the organization, how tough he was, kind of a sad day for the city of Dallas.

Machota: I think the sad part for him the most will be that he got injured the past two years, and didn't get a chance to play with the teams they've had the past two years.

Really what you saw in 2014 was Tony Romo at his best. He had his best passer rating. When he was right, you saw Romo playing some of his best football ... I just feel like he felt like he was playing his best football in that 2014 season, and the team was getting better around him.

So, he was obviously sitting there thinking I can really make a real run in 2015. And then with this team getting Zeke in 2016 - you heard in that statement he read in mid-November talking about this is the most talented team he's ever played with - and then he's got to sit and watch from the sidelines. So, that really the sad part for him is he couldn't overcome those injuries or just avoid those injuries.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Dallas isn't/hasn't allowed possible trade partners the right to negotiate a new deal with Romo.
I kind of get the feeling he is going to be released this week. Not even any whispers that I can recall

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of get the feeling he is going to be released this week. Not even any whispers that I can recall
perhaps....I think Dallas should be in no hurry.
Late May or June 1 sounds good to me. No reason to give him minicamps in another teams camp.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Late May or June 1 sounds good to me. No reason to give him minicamps in another teams camp.

That's probably not a good idea

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I totally agree. I'd wait all Summer if it were my call. Who knows maybe Dak gets hurt and he can help us or a contender loses their QB and we get a great pick back or just show him healthy in the preseason.

BUT, I'm more talking about what I think the Cowboys will do and I get the feeling they screwed this thing up bad the way they played it by leaking they'd cut him and now teams are just waiting...or maybe it's just that teams think he is done and aren't willing to part with anything for him...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or maybe it's just that teams think he is done and aren't willing to part with anything for him...
I thinks it's more the money and I don't blame the other teams. I'd rather pay Romo less with incentives for playing time too. This is why Jerry should wait to the 11th hour. Like you...I don't think that's what jerry will do, but he should.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinion piece alert:

Does Jerry Jones want to keep Tony Romo from playing in Houston?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2017, 8:41 AM EDT
454306276-e1489840855751.jpg
Getty Images
As far as the NFL’s alignment of franchises is concerned, the Cowboys and Texans aren’t rivals. As far as the people living in Dallas and Houston are concerned, they are. And that reality could be one of the reasons for the decision of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to slam the brakes on the plan to release Romo.

From the moment the news emerged that Romo would be released (the post-hoc spin is that he was only told he won’t be on the roster in 2017), the reaction among the Dallas media was swift and intense and it became clear that the release wouldn’t be the end of a new era of Romo-centric coverage in the Dallas area but the beginning.

So spin it forward. Romo exits Dallas and lands in Houston. And then every outlet in Dallas assigns at least one reporter to cover Romo’s year(s) in Houston, forcing America’s Team to share eyeballs and ears in its own hometown with the other team from Texas.

Spin it even farther forward. The Texans surge with a healthy Romo, becoming one of the best teams in the AFC. The Cowboys, defense drained by free agency and offense undermined by possible sophomore slumps of Dak Prescott and/or Ezekiel Elliott, regress to the mean. Cowboys fans would be tempted to set aside their silver and blue for the balance of the year and become temporary fans of Romo and the Texans.

That wouldn’t be good for business. And Jerry Jones is all about making good business decisions.

Couldn’t his concerns be handled via the wink-nod “do-right” approach that the team and the player are supposed to be adopting? This would require Jones to ask Romo not to play for the Texans. And there’s a good chance that request eventually would make its way to the media. Which would prove that Jones is worried about a Houston uprising diluting Dallas interest in the Cowboys.

For Jones, creating the impression that he actually cares about the Texans becoming more popular in Dallas and more successful overall could be worse than either thing happening. So he has instead squatted on Romo, waiting for a trade offer that may never materialize, and perhaps hoping an offer never comes from Houston.

I’ve believed for the last week that Jones hopes an offer will be made to him at the upcoming league meetings in Arizona. The truth could be that Jones plans in Phoenix to make a team like the Broncos a low-ball, face-saving offer that gets the Cowboys some marginal value for Romo — and that ensures he’ll never play for the Houston Texans.

Does Jerry Jones want to keep Tony Romo from playing in Houston?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I totally agree. I'd wait all Summer if it were my call. Who knows maybe Dak gets hurt and he can help us or a contender loses their QB and we get a great pick back or just show him healthy in the preseason.

BUT, I'm more talking about what I think the Cowboys will do and I get the feeling they screwed this thing up bad the way they played it by leaking they'd cut him and now teams are just waiting...or maybe it's just that teams think he is done and aren't willing to part with anything for him...
Agree with keeping him all summer...and next season if we can't make a deal that helps the team. By allowing the mass exodus this week, they may be sending teams a message that Romo might not be cut after all. Let other teams go through the draft. If they don't choose a QB high, and then any QB gets injured, the cost for Romo goes through the roof. Or if you just keep him in Dallas, the most important position on the field is set two deep

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Opinion piece alert:

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2017, 8:41 AM EDT
454306276-e1489840855751.jpg
Getty Images
As far as the NFL’s alignment of franchises is concerned, the Cowboys and Texans aren’t rivals. As far as the people living in Dallas and Houston are concerned, they are. And that reality could be one of the reasons for the decision of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones to slam the brakes on the plan to release Romo.

From the moment the news emerged that Romo would be released (the post-hoc spin is that he was only told he won’t be on the roster in 2017), the reaction among the Dallas media was swift and intense and it became clear that the release wouldn’t be the end of a new era of Romo-centric coverage in the Dallas area but the beginning.

So spin it forward. Romo exits Dallas and lands in Houston. And then every outlet in Dallas assigns at least one reporter to cover Romo’s year(s) in Houston, forcing America’s Team to share eyeballs and ears in its own hometown with the other team from Texas.

Spin it even farther forward. The Texans surge with a healthy Romo, becoming one of the best teams in the AFC. The Cowboys, defense drained by free agency and offense undermined by possible sophomore slumps of Dak Prescott and/or Ezekiel Elliott, regress to the mean. Cowboys fans would be tempted to set aside their silver and blue for the balance of the year and become temporary fans of Romo and the Texans.

That wouldn’t be good for business. And Jerry Jones is all about making good business decisions.

Couldn’t his concerns be handled via the wink-nod “do-right” approach that the team and the player are supposed to be adopting? This would require Jones to ask Romo not to play for the Texans. And there’s a good chance that request eventually would make its way to the media. Which would prove that Jones is worried about a Houston uprising diluting Dallas interest in the Cowboys.

For Jones, creating the impression that he actually cares about the Texans becoming more popular in Dallas and more successful overall could be worse than either thing happening. So he has instead squatted on Romo, waiting for a trade offer that may never materialize, and perhaps hoping an offer never comes from Houston.

I’ve believed for the last week that Jones hopes an offer will be made to him at the upcoming league meetings in Arizona. The truth could be that Jones plans in Phoenix to make a team like the Broncos a low-ball, face-saving offer that gets the Cowboys some marginal value for Romo — and that ensures he’ll never play for the Houston Texans.

I dont think Houstons interest had anything to do with it. I think with Denver, Houston and possibly J-Ville showing interest I think Jerry thought he might get something back via a trade. Release him now or after 6/1 Houston is still in the mix.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You let the old man see him in OTAs and TC ??????

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Houstons interest had anything to do with it. I think with Denver, Houston and possibly J-Ville showing interest I think Jerry thought he might get something back via a trade. Release him now or after 6/1 Houston is still in the mix.
Yeah, I don't agree with the article. That's why I wrote "opinion piece". So dumb to think we are worried about him going to Hou for those reasons. But, it's Jerry so he could just be that dumb!!!

I thought it was funny to read the part about fans jumping ship if Dallas stunk and Hou was good. We all know lots of bandwagon Cowboys fans and many of them just looking for a reason to quote for their jumping to another team. We still read people on here saying "I was a Cowboy fan until Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry". 10 years from now it could be "I was a Cowboy fan until Jerry traded Tony Romo"...good riddance

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't agree with the article. That's why I wrote "opinion piece". So dumb to think we are worried about him going to Hou for those reasons. But, it's Jerry so he could just be that dumb!!!

I thought it was funny to read the part about fans jumping ship if Dallas stunk and Hou was good. We all know lots of bandwagon Cowboys fans and many of them just looking for a reason to quote for their jumping to another team. We still read people on here saying "I was a Cowboy fan until Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry". 10 years from now it could be "I was a Cowboy fan until Jerry traded Tony Romo"...good riddance

That Tom Landry thing was bad. I'm not saying I agree with their decision to jump ship but it was definitely a pissed off feeling. That along with who he replaced him with. I mean at the time our team was pretty bad and it was probably the right thing to do. I was 17-18 at the time though and couldn't believe it. I can't imagine what it would have been like today with all the social media. That was almost 30 yrs ago and when some one ask me to talk about the Dallas Cowboys- the man in the hat is still the first person I think of

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure there is an end date right now. No harm in waiting. I'd be shocked if Romo skips workouts if he is still on the team. I don't think the $500K means too much to him, but even if he doesn't want to be here he needs to show teams he is healthy and has always done things the "right way". He isn't going to cause a problem.

Joel Corry of CBS Sports considers April 17 a "logical ending point" for the Tony Romo saga.

That's when the Cowboys begin offseason workouts. It would be uncomfortable for all parties if Romo were still on the team at that point. If it came to that, Romo would have to show up or risk having his salary reduced by $500,000. At the very latest, the Cowboys could wait until after the draft to cut bait on Romo. Owner Jerry Jones previously mentioned training camp as the deadline for a decision, but we're guessing Romo will be gone long before then.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure there is an end date right now. No harm in waiting. I'd be shocked if Romo skips workouts if he is still on the team. I don't think the $500K means too much to him, but even if he doesn't want to be here he needs to show teams he is healthy and has always done things the "right way". He isn't going to cause a problem.

Joel Corry of CBS Sports considers April 17 a "logical ending point" for the Tony Romo saga.

That's when the Cowboys begin offseason workouts. It would be uncomfortable for all parties if Romo were still on the team at that point. If it came to that, Romo would have to show up or risk having his salary reduced by $500,000. At the very latest, the Cowboys could wait until after the draft to cut bait on Romo. Owner Jerry Jones previously mentioned training camp as the deadline for a decision, but we're guessing Romo will be gone long before then.

Even before this saga started, I was always of the opinion that Romo would be traded after 6/1. That prediction is looking pretty good to me right now.

I don't care what the owners and GMs of the Texans and Broncos are saying right now in regards to a potential trade, those teams have even less leverage than Dallas at the moment. That could change with some compensation. Houston is all in on Romo it seems, no matter what they say, I think they blink first.