• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep reading he gets released today. I find it hard to believe a team would give Glennon a 3 year $15M deal and not want to give up a late pick to get Romo at 1 year for $14M. If you look at the top 2 teams (Den and Hou) if they really want him they would be foolish to not trade for him. You are likely paying him almost what he would get in 2017 anyway. So it's not worth a 5th round pick to lock him up? It's shocking that teams think he has fallen so much or aren't willing to take even a small chance on his health. I think Hou is going to have a lot of explaining to do to their fans if he goes to Den and plays well. At least Den has what they think is their future in place. Hou needs to wipe out the mistake they made last year.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep reading he gets released today. I find it hard to believe a team would give Glennon a 3 year $15M deal and not want to give up a late pick to get Romo at 1 year for $14M. If you look at the top 2 teams (Den and Hou) if they really want him they would be foolish to not trade for him. You are likely paying him almost what he would get in 2017 anyway. So it's not worth a 5th round pick to lock him up? It's shocking that teams think he has fallen so much or aren't willing to take even a small chance on his health. I think Hou is going to have a lot of explaining to do to their fans if he goes to Den and plays well. At least Den has what they think is their future in place. Hou needs to wipe out the mistake they made last year.
No trade may be more about designating him as a post June cut. Cap space is important this season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No trade may be more about designating him as a post June cut. Cap space is important this season.
Funny, I was just thinking that and coming to write something about that. I they want to designate him post 6/1 for cap reasons (which I think they definitely will even though I wouldn't) it could be worth more to them than a late pick.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, I was just thinking that and coming to write something about that. I they want to designate him post 6/1 for cap reasons (which I think they definitely will even though I wouldn't) it could be worth more to them than a late pick.

Trading Romo after June 1 would have the same effect as releasing him with a 6/1 designation, thus spreading the cap hits over two years (see Sam Bradford trade/contract as an example of this). And as considering the Cowboys do not get the benefit of the cap room now in either scenario, what would have been the harm in holding onto him until then, and then trading him? No harm from the Cowboys perspective.

IMO the only reason for this release is because Romo wants to play for Denver, and Denver is not willing to give up the compensation Dallas wants. I am absolutely certain there are teams out there who would have made the trade, if it were a free and open market. It seems the market was closed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Romo after June 1 would have the same effect as releasing him with a 6/1 designation, thus spreading the cap hits over two years (see Sam Bradford trade/contract as an example of this). And as considering the Cowboys do not get the benefit of the cap room now in either scenario, what would have been the harm in holding onto him until then, and then trading him? No harm from the Cowboys perspective.

IMO the only reason for this release is because Romo wants to play for Denver, and Denver is not willing to give up the compensation Dallas wants. I am absolutely certain there are teams out there who would have made the trade, if it were a free and open market. It seems the market was closed.
I think they just found no market for him and are ready to move on. Personally I'd wait. For whatever reason they do not want to hold onto him any longer it seems.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they just found no market for him and are ready to move on. Personally I'd wait. For whatever reason they do not want to hold onto him any longer it seems.

I find a hard time believing that. When you see what teams are willing to give up for the Matt Flynns of the world, just for a shot at a decent QB.

There are so many teams that have so much money to spend, and nothing at QB. With all the acquisitions the Jags are making, you don't think they would wanna role the dice on Romo for a shot to compete? There are many examples, and I won't list them all.

I just don't think any of these teams not named Houston or Denver were a real option at any point, as far as Romo was concerned. And Romo is seemingly the one who got to make the decision. The talk in mid-season was Denver, and see if Romo does not wind up there under center in 2017. I'd almost bet there was illegal tampering that took place. This is all just my opinion.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt doesn't get it obviously. Of course the Jags, Bills, Jets would offer more. This wasn't about getting anything in return. It was about keeping Romo happy too. I get it - it is a business.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt doesn't get it obviously. Of course the Jags, Bills, Jets would offer more. This wasn't about getting anything in return. It was about keeping Romo happy too. I get it - it is a business.
If this was about making Romo happy, then that is a joke.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find a hard time believing that. When you see what teams are willing to give up for the Matt Flynns of the world, just for a shot at a decent QB.

There are so many teams that have so much money to spend, and nothing at QB. With all the acquisitions the Jags are making, you don't think they would wanna role the dice on Romo for a shot to compete? There are many examples, and I won't list them all.

I just don't think any of these teams not named Houston or Denver were a real option at any point, as far as Romo was concerned. And Romo is seemingly the one who got to make the decision. The talk in mid-season was Denver, and see if Romo does not wind up there under center in 2017. I'd almost bet there was illegal tampering that took place. This is all just my opinion.
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. If you are saying we could have received a high draft pick back and didn't because we want to be nice to Romo and release him, then shame on us. He was paid handsomely for his services. We owe him nothing but an induction into the ring of honor. No player is bigger than the team and any GM/coach/owner that acts otherwise deserves to not get better if they play it that way. If he wants to give back the millions he was paid the last two years to do nothing then sure, Quid Pro Quo. But I haven't seen him offer that.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We owe him nothing but an induction into the ring of honor.

Considering who Romo is and how he lost his job there has to be some wiggle room afforded to Romo to help his cause. Are we talking about making him the back up and taking a huge cap hit? No, that would be ridiculous.

He was exceptional. The Cowboys don't need to exhaust every option to make sure the team benefits before we do what's right for Romo. He deserves that in spades.

20170206_romoheader_desktop2.jpg

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt and Earl just don't get it. The NFL is a business. Some things out there are bigger than business. Romo and the Cowboys???? That's bigger than business. Sorry you aren't satisfied with that, but it's the truth.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying. If you are saying we could have received a high draft pick back and didn't because we want to be nice to Romo and release him, then shame on us. He was paid handsomely for his services. We owe him nothing but an induction into the ring of honor. No player is bigger than the team and any GM/coach/owner that acts otherwise deserves to not get better if they play it that way. If he wants to give back the millions he was paid the last two years to do nothing then sure, Quid Pro Quo. But I haven't seen him offer that.

The price you pay. Kind of like Arod right now. Mike Glennon 15 mill. Arod 13 mill for 2 more yrs. He signed the contract. Are you saying he is wrong for being pissed and wanting more.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering who Romo is and how he lost his job there has to be some wiggle room afforded to Romo to help his cause. Are we talking about making him the back up and taking a huge cap hit? No, that would be ridiculous.

He was exceptional. The Cowboys don't need to exhaust every option to make sure the team benefits before we do what's right for Romo. He deserves that in spades.

Wiggle room, sure. Let him go for nothing if a team is offering us like a 3rd round pick??? You are dreaming. Everyone in our front office should quit if that were the case.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Cowboys may still trade, not release, Tony Romo
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2017, 2:08 PM EST
621444636.jpg
Getty Images
The Cowboys are cutting quarterback Tony Romo today. Unless they’re not.

In a surprising report, Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen of ESPN now say the Cowboys are still looking to trade Romo, after widespread reports that the Cowboys were going to release him today.

Werder mentioned the Broncos as a team that might be willing to trade for Romo rather than wait for him to get cut. Mortensen said the Texans could be interested as well.

The problem, however, is that Romo has an enormous salary cap figure — the highest in the league for 2017. Would any team be willing to take that cap figure on its books? And would the Cowboys be willing to take the big cap hit that they’ll get from trading Romo, and not spread it across two years, as they’d be able to if they classify him as a post-June 1 release?

That remains to be seen. But it sounds like there’s a real chance that the Cowboys will trade Romo today.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo now free to play cheerleader for a new team after he goes on IR again. Its not a matter of "if" he gets hurt again it is a matter of "when" . I have no allegiance to any player not on the Cowboys.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggle room, sure. Let him go for nothing if a team is offering us like a 3rd round pick??? You are dreaming. Everyone in our front office should quit if that were the case.

Would the Cowboys not know by now who is really offering what to get Romo?
Would a 3rd round for Romo still be a win for him and the Cowboys? Hell yea.

To me the release of Romo tells me these offers are not out there ...and if they are and we released him I would have a problem with that too. I love Romo but lets not get crazy.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Cowboys may still trade, not release, Tony Romo
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2017, 2:08 PM EST
621444636.jpg
Getty Images
The Cowboys are cutting quarterback Tony Romo today. Unless they’re not.

In a surprising report, Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen of ESPN now say the Cowboys are still looking to trade Romo, after widespread reports that the Cowboys were going to release him today.

Werder mentioned the Broncos as a team that might be willing to trade for Romo rather than wait for him to get cut. Mortensen said the Texans could be interested as well.

The problem, however, is that Romo has an enormous salary cap figure — the highest in the league for 2017. Would any team be willing to take that cap figure on its books? And would the Cowboys be willing to take the big cap hit that they’ll get from trading Romo, and not spread it across two years, as they’d be able to if they classify him as a post-June 1 release?

That remains to be seen. But it sounds like there’s a real chance that the Cowboys will trade Romo today.
Trade him to cleveland