• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rolling Stones Top 100 Greatest Artists of All Time

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the original article Ray Charles – Rolling Stone

And here's an easy to read list Rolling Stone Magazine's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" - IMDb

What do you guys think of the list? Obviously, I haven't heard all (most) of the artists on the list, and there's a lot I only know 1 or 2 songs from. And obviously everyone will have different opinions, but let's try to look at it objectively from the standpoint of commercial success, critical success, and cultural impact.

Little Richards' write-up about himself in the original article did make me laugh.

"I wish a lot of things had been different. I don't think I ever got what I really deserved.

I appreciate being picked one of the top 100 performers, but who is number one and who is number two doesn't matter to me anymore. Because it won't be who I think it should be. The Rolling Stones started with me, but they're going to always be in front of me. The Beatles started with me — at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany, before they ever made an album — but they're going to always be in front of me. James Brown, Jimi Hendrix — these people started with me. I fed them, I talked to them, and they're going to always be in front of me."

Damn, don't know the dude's story, but you're ranked 8th on the list for fucks sake.

What do you guys think of the list?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the original article Ray Charles – Rolling Stone

And here's an easy to read list Rolling Stone Magazine's "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" - IMDb

What do you guys think of the list? Obviously, I haven't heard all (most) of the artists on the list, and there's a lot I only know 1 or 2 songs from. And obviously everyone will have different opinions, but let's try to look at it objectively from the standpoint of commercial success, critical success, and cultural impact.

Little Richards' write-up about himself in the original article did make me laugh.

"I wish a lot of things had been different. I don't think I ever got what I really deserved.

I appreciate being picked one of the top 100 performers, but who is number one and who is number two doesn't matter to me anymore. Because it won't be who I think it should be. The Rolling Stones started with me, but they're going to always be in front of me. The Beatles started with me — at the Star Club in Hamburg, Germany, before they ever made an album — but they're going to always be in front of me. James Brown, Jimi Hendrix — these people started with me. I fed them, I talked to them, and they're going to always be in front of me."

Damn, don't know the dude's story, but you're ranked 8th on the list for fucks sake.

What do you guys think of the list?

He's one of the originators of rock and roll and wrote his own music, but is ranked below Elvis who didn't write his own material.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll look it over more critically later but one thing that really jumped out at me is Hendrix is way too high at #6. James Brown is a bit low at #7, too. He's arguably top 3 with The Beatles and Elvis.

Little Richard has always spoken quite highly of himself.. about how beautiful and talented he is. It's always been part of his persona. He was Ali before Ali was Ali. #8 is about right imo.

Last edited:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Pixies

2-100. Who cares