• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Tony Gwynn

DodgerLou80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball lost one of the greatest hitters in the game. Condolences to the Gwynn Family as well to all the Padres fan thru out the world. No one will ever be compared to this great man. He surely will be missed by all baseball fans.

Zephyrus001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this was a sudden shock. My condolences to all Padre and MLB fans. Tony was a great man, baseball player and professional athlete. He was always a class act and just competed, despite the bad years in San Diego. He will forever be immortalized, no matter what. The good ones seem to die young, sometimes.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal Ripken was inducted in the HOF by Gwynn and had this to say.

“This is an extraordinarily sad day. Tony was a Hall of Fame ballplayer, but more importantly he was a wonderful man. Tony always had a big smile on his face and was one of the warmest and most genuine people I have ever had the honor of knowing. Like all baseball fans, I will miss him very much and my thoughts are with his family today.”

Cal Ripken reacts to Tony Gwynn's passing | Comcast SportsNet Baltimore

Gwynn playing his entire career with the Padres smacks of a brand of loyalty and skill that you don't see that often, and makes what he did for the entirety of his career even more special. Atleast for me it does. Tony Gwynn represents the very best that the game of baseball has to offer. Even days later, the hugeness of his passing feels like a gigantic loss for the sport. Really wanted to hear his input on the game for years and years.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cal Ripken was inducted in the HOF by Gwynn and had this to say.

“This is an extraordinarily sad day. Tony was a Hall of Fame ballplayer, but more importantly he was a wonderful man. Tony always had a big smile on his face and was one of the warmest and most genuine people I have ever had the honor of knowing. Like all baseball fans, I will miss him very much and my thoughts are with his family today.”

Cal Ripken reacts to Tony Gwynn's passing | Comcast SportsNet Baltimore

Gwynn playing his entire career with the Padres smacks of a brand of loyalty and skill that you don't see that often, and makes what he did for the entirety of his career even more special. Atleast for me it does. Tony Gwynn represents the very best that the game of baseball has to offer. Even days later, the hugeness of his passing feels like a gigantic loss for the sport. Really wanted to hear his input on the game for years and years.

:clap:

It's hip to eulogize the dead, overusing "great" but in Tony's case, it's impossible to overstate his greatness. As of last season he frequented the Padres TV booth and Mark "Mudcat" Grant never spared an opportunity to tell Tony stories. He always downplayed his talent, flat out denying that he was any better than average. Funniest moment I can remember is Grant bringing up the infamous '84 Braves brawl and they showed a still frame of Tony body-slamming someone. He was really embarrassed and apologetic and claimed he was just trying to "protect" the guy by getting him out of the scrum.

Interestingly, the only time I ever heard him say a bad word about anyone was Curt Schilling, telling the story of Schilling throwing at him for no reason. He said he still had something for him next time he saw him. If Tony disliked you, you were an ASSHOLE (which Schilling is the biggest ever).

There's a free public ceremony at Petco Park at 7:19 on Thursday evening. It's gonna be standing room only.

Not ashamed to admit I cried the days I heard about Caminiti and Tony Gwynn's deaths. Both are really, really pitiful and unnecessary deaths directly related to addictions.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00