• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Roy Halladay

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2003's the last time someone made 36 starts in a season (Halladay and Maddux).

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is he doing with Morphine in his system?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is he doing with Morphine in his system?
Exactly. Everyone knows that if you're going hard-core with shooting up dope, you get heroin...

(Too soon?)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though, I haven't read any of the details, but just the headlines of the traces of those three drugs are not surprising. Doc always seemed like the too-wired type, which would explain any sleep trouble (the Ambien). His career ended because of injuries- I think he had back surgery at some point, but I'm not sure. Regardless, the average hillbilly who's doing his due diligence and scouting out and going to different doctors can get a morphine prescription... think how easy it is for a former ballplayer with a bad back? And any form of amphetamine could/could not be explained by a prescription.

The amphetamine is a "meh" for me. The only way it could have impaired him is if it was within his first 10 times taking it, and he took a huge amount or snorted it. Otherwise, it probably helped prevent an accident.

If he was taking morphine every day for pain, that one would be a non-factor.

The real question is the Ambien. If he was under the influence of that shit (i.e., if he had taken it within the previous 3 hours), then he was either an idiot or probably severely troubled by an addiction. Driving (or worse, flying) on a z-drug would be a lot like driving while sleeping.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly though, I haven't read any of the details, but just the headlines of the traces of those three drugs are not surprising. Doc always seemed like the too-wired type, which would explain any sleep trouble (the Ambien). His career ended because of injuries- I think he had back surgery at some point, but I'm not sure. Regardless, the average hillbilly who's doing his due diligence and scouting out and going to different doctors can get a morphine prescription... think how easy it is for a former ballplayer with a bad back? And any form of amphetamine could/could not be explained by a prescription.

The amphetamine is a "meh" for me. The only way it could have impaired him is if it was within his first 10 times taking it, and he took a huge amount or snorted it. Otherwise, it probably helped prevent an accident.

The real question is the Ambien. If he was under the influence of that shit (i.e., if he had taken it within the previous 3 hours), then he was either an idiot or probably severely troubled by an addiction. Driving (or worse, flying) on a z-drug would be a lot like driving while sleeping.
Ok, @Rock Strongo's headline was wrong.

"Halladay had high concentrations of morphine and amphetamine along with the presence of an antidepressant, the sleeping aid zolpidem (sold under brand name Ambien) and trace amounts of alcohol in his blood."

Experts: Roy Halladay likely impaired at time of fatal plane crash

I'm not really sure what a "high concentration" of either of those drugs does for him (for example, if I died today, and they took a sample of my blood, they would find an extremely high concentration of dextroamphetamine. But I take the same dosage every day, and it doesn't impair me in the slightest.

But yeah, the morphine and Ambien doesn't look good.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I wasn't surprised by the amphetamine. I just always think of morphine as something you get out of those drip bags when you're lying in a hospital bed.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, if this guy is to be believed
Yeah I wasn't surprised by the amphetamine. I just always think of morphine as something you get out of those drip bags when you're lying in a hospital bed.
Technically he wasn’t taking morphine. He was taking Dilaudid.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently he was taking a ridiculously high amount of amphetamines.

Roy Halladay Was Flying With Fatal Level of Amphetamines Before Crash
Yeah, I'm gonna have to assume that guy is full of shit. It's impossible to convert ng/ml to the actual mg dosage that Halladay took. It would take multiple factors (metabolism, route of administration) into effect that I don't know. But lethally overdosing on dextroamphetamine is impossible.

Let's say Halladay weighed 250 (he's listed as 225 from his playing days). The LD50 (lethal dose in 50% of people) for d-amp taken orally is estimated around 96.8 mg/kg. Therefore, if all of humanity took 10,886 mg (!) of d-amp, 50% would die, 50% would not. Considering they only make instant-release d-amp in tablets up to 30 mg, a "lethal dose" of d-amp is impossible.

So yeah, that doctor has no clue what he's fucking talking about. Even if you could swallow 50 pills in one minute, you would easily, easily go into amphetamine psychosis after consuming 1,500 mg of d-amp. You're not going to be able to take any pills after that. And remember, you still need to be roughly around 10,000 mg to die.

D-Amphetamine

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is flying a "prototype" plane with known issues of crashing, while on drugs inducing impairment.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude is flying a "prototype" plane with known issues of crashing, while on drugs inducing impairment.
Admittedly, not one of Doc's best ideas....