• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Nick Menza - Former Megadeth drummer dies on-stage

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to reports, Nick Menza was performing with the band OHM at the Baked Potato in Studio City, Calif. Saturday night (May 21) when he reportedly collapsed. Two patrons attempted to perform CPR until emergency personnel arrived and attempted to revive him.

Menza began his career at the age of 18 drumming in the band Rhoads that featured Randy Rhoads brother Kelle on vocals. After working as a session musician for a bit, Menza answered the call in 1989 when Megadeth needed a new drummer. He remained with the band through 1998 and returned briefly in 2004. During his tenure with Megadeth, he appeared on the albums Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, Youthanasia, Nativity in Black, Hidden Treasures and Cryptic Writings. There had been discussion of Menza returning to Megadeth prior to the release of the band’s Dystopia album, but ultimately Megadeth went another direction. He also recorded on albums with fellow former Megadeth member Marty Friedman, issued a self-titled disc and performed with Memorain.

nick_menza.jpg

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn thats crazy, RIP Nick.

I always thought he was just as good as Gar Samuelson

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP

Wasn't a big Megadeth fan...but that kind of news still sucks...
Apparently he wasn't doing metal any longer...and he branched out into jazz/rock fusion over the last few yrs, which is interesting.

I used to go to the Baked Potato once in a while back in the early 80's when I lived in North Hollywood.
Pretty cool place.
It was a jazz/dinner club back then..but they also booked some well known Ska bands, and had stand up comedy as well.

I got to see the late great Bill Hicks do his comedy there before he became widely known.

Last edited:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the tales from Megadeth I am assuming that his past caught up with his body. Those boys all used to party a bit too hard.

Love Megadeth. Sooooooo much better than Metallica. It isn't even close. Saw them with Nick probably 4-5 times back in the day. Always tight, fast, solid thrash with great song structure.