• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Connie Hawkins

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that there isn’t already a thread dedicated to this man is a crying damn shame. One I intend to correct.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
<------Milos totally jacked his swag.

R.I.P.

th

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loved The Hawk. He had a great sense of humor too.

When I was a kid, Suns guard Dick Van Arsdale used to have a basketball camp for kids that I went to a couple of summers.

He used to have different NBA players come in for a day and talk to us, teach some skills, etc.

One day Connie Hawkins comes in, shows us some stuff, etc. Then at the end of the session he did some dunks for us. To end it, he says "You guys want to see me dunk 2 basketballs?" Of course everyone starts yelling yes. So he does.

Then he says "You guys want to see me dunk 3 basketballs?" Of course we're even louder.

He gets 3 basketballs, runs to the basket, leaps towards the hoop (gym is silent), as he's jumping towards the hoop, he throws all 3 basketballs into the air, and runs out of the gym.

We all sat there for a second kind of stunned and then the whole gym busts up laughing.

If you haven't already and can get a copy. Read the book Foul! The Connie Hawkins Story. Great book. Not just one of the best sports books I've read. One of the best books I've read...period.

RIP Hawk

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Connie Hawkins story. My aunts who were long time Suns season ticket holders told me this one.

Wilt Chamberlain was a notoriously horrible free throw shooter. The Lakers were in Phoenix to play the Suns. Before the game, Wilt was out practicing free throws.

Hawk comes out on the court to get a little shooting session in and sees Wilt working on his free throws. So, Hawk being Hawk...he goes over and starts helping Wilt with his shot.

Wilt proceeds to go something like 13-15 from the line that night.

My aunts said that the fans who were there early and saw it, couldn't even get mad at him because they all loved him so much.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Connie Hawkins story. My aunts who were long time Suns season ticket holders told me this one.

Wilt Chamberlain was a notoriously horrible free throw shooter. The Lakers were in Phoenix to play the Suns. Before the game, Wilt was out practicing free throws.

Hawk comes out on the court to get a little shooting session in and sees Wilt working on his free throws. So, Hawk being Hawk...he goes over and starts helping Wilt with his shot.

Wilt proceeds to go something like 13-15 from the line that night.

My aunts said that the fans who were there early and saw it, couldn't even get mad at him because they all loved him so much.

He had every right to be bitter as hell over the way he was blackballed by the league back then. Just soldiered on. Such an important piece of the history of this league.

And yes. “Foul”... great book. Great.