• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rigged Lottery

Does the NBA rig things for the Lakers and LeBron's teams?

• Yep

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Just the Lakers

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Just LeBron's teams

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Nope

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap. Stop it!

If you are going to bring this up again, you need to at least get your reasoning right. Do you honestly believe that Gilbert's crying is what got this deal vetoed? Really?

What was the reason then? Please enlighten us

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap. Stop it!

If you are going to bring this up again, you need to at least get your reasoning right. Do you honestly believe that Gilbert's crying is what got this deal vetoed? Really?

Indulge me, what other reason? The only other reason was because the Lakers would save $20 million in salaries over the next three years, and another $21 million in luxury taxes if the deal wasn't vetoed — money that would go to small-market teams like the Cavaliers. Still something Gilbert bitched about.

But you're missing the point, To think the draft is rigged for the Lakers not likely, and if so we are owed one for the CP3 trade.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indulge me, what other reason? The only other reason was because the Lakers would save $20 million in salaries over the next three years, and another $21 million in luxury taxes if the deal wasn't vetoed — money that would go to small-market teams like the Cavaliers. Still something Gilbert bitched about.
But you're missing the point, To think the draft is rigged for the Lakers not likely, and if so we are owed one for the CP3 trade.

Yup ... the Lakers would be a good team today if it wasn't for Gilbert.

(actually the Cavs deserve some blame -- they traded a 2 month rental of Ramon Sessions to Lakers for a first round pick. And they fired coaches just so the Lakers could pick them up)

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA is a joke. The draft lottery is also a joke. It's obvious before the season started it was going to be Cavs and Warriors in finals. You look at the teams that get the high picks. Cavs,lakers,celts, spurs all move up siluspiciously whenever they have a pick in the lotto

When's the last time the Spurs have moved up in the lotto? I'm confused.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This has been rehashed over and over again. Gilbert is a hyoorcrite. There is no doubt about that. Don't think for one second the trade got vetoed because Gilbert and other owners cried though.

There has been 1 NBA trade vetoed that I can recall in my time following NBA basketball (30 years). There have been far more lopsided deals allowed to pass. The reason this one was Vetoed was because the NBA temporarily owned the Hornets. It was a huge conflict of interest that should have never happened in the first place. It isn't a coincidence that the only deal Stern vetoed was of the team he technically controlled.

Had the Hornets been sold and the new owner agreed to this deal, it would have passed 100% for sure. In fact, Gilbert wouldn't have had anything to cry about in that case.

Tell me, as a prospective owner, would you be more excited about a team with young talent and lottery picks, or a 45 win team with a bunch of vets that had seen their best days already? In other words, would you rather buy the Suns or the Grizzlies?

The answer is very clear to anyone who is objective. It was all about resale value of the team the NBA office owned.

By the way, while on the subject of fixed lotteries, that AD to NO year is the most suspicious I have seen since Ewing to the Knicks.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup ... the Lakers would be a good team today if it wasn't for Gilbert.

(actually the Cavs deserve some blame -- they traded a 2 month rental of Ramon Sessions to Lakers for a first round pick. And they fired coaches just so the Lakers could pick them up)
well- for a first round pick, AND a pick swap.

and one of the reasons the Cavs got that is because they helped the Lakers with their payroll problem- Luke Walton. Gilbert was happy to pay Luke's salary and help out the Lakers financial situation for the price of a first rounder, and a pick swap.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has been rehashed over and over again. Gilbert is a hyoorcrite. There is no doubt about that. Don't think for one second the trade got vetoed because Gilbert and other owners cried though.

It was part of it, no doubt. The owners were his employer, he had to at least listen and consider their complaints.

Why would Gilbert and Cuban cry to the commissioner in such a public manner if not to pressure him?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is very clear to anyone who is objective. It was all about resale value of the team the NBA office owned.

So, if someone disagrees with you, they aren't being objective?

Nice that you hold your own opinion in such high regard that you think no one can objectively have a different opinion.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if someone disagrees with you, they aren't being objective?

Nice that you hold your own opinion in such high regard that you think no one can objectively have a different opinion.

No.

Not that at all.

Laker fans who complain about the vetoe to this day conveniently leave out the very huge fact that the NBA owned the Hornets. Gilbert and the other owners would not have even complained had the same deal been made by any other franchise. The fact that the NBA owned the team was the problem here.

Like I said, they should have never owned the team in the first place.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lottery rigged for big market teams? Explain the Knicks then.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

Not that at all.

Really? It's pretty much exactly what you said.

Laker fans who complain about the vetoe to this day conveniently leave out the very huge fact that the NBA owned the Hornets.

It doesn't matter that the league owned the Hornets. That doesn't make it a correct action by the league. In fact, because they had taken over the team, they had even more obligation to stay out of it. Those who think it's just fine conveniently leave out the fact that it had never been done before or since and that, as you pointed out, far more lopsided trades have been allowed.

They also leave out the fact that because the league owned the team, they were in a position they never should have been in and if you think Gilbert and Cuban didn't know that when they bitched to the league (which is likely why they even bothered) then I don't really know what to tell you.

They likely went public with their crying because it put pressure on the league, as owners, to veto the trade or risk feeding the "the NBA gives the Lakers special treatment" narrative. An employee of the owners who has to listen and consider what owners have to say was in an ownership position. That put owners like Gilbert and Cuban in the position to be able to have far more influence than they would have over any other owner.

What the league should have done was put people in place to run the team (which they did) and then back as far away as they possibly could (which they didn't).

Lakers fans have every right to be pissed about that.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? It's pretty much exactly what you said.

It doesn't matter that the league owned the Hornets. That doesn't make it a correct action by the league. In fact, because they had taken over the team, they had even more obligation to stay out of it. Those who think it's just fine conveniently leave out the fact that it had never been done before or since and that, as you pointed out, far more lopsided trades have been allowed.

They also leave out the fact that because the league owned the team, they were in a position they never should have been in and if you think Gilbert and Cuban didn't know that when they bitched to the league (which is likely why they even bothered) then I don't really know what to tell you.

They likely went public with their crying because it put pressure on the league, as owners, to veto the trade or risk feeding the "the NBA gives the Lakers special treatment" narrative. An employee of the owners who has to listen and consider what owners have to say was in an ownership position. That put owners like Gilbert and Cuban in the position to be able to have far more influence than they would have over any other owner.

What the league should have done was put people in place to run the team (which they did) and then back as far away as they possibly could (which they didn't).

Lakers fans have every right to be pissed about that.

Laker fans can be pissed all they want.

And, the rest of the league would have correctly been more pissed if the deal stood.

I agree that the league should have stayed out of it all together. The conflict of interest was far too much. Since they did get involved, Stern also made a severe error by making his guy think that he had authority to make trades without approval from the league office.

It was terribly handled by the NBA and they deserve to catch flack for it. But, if people are going to bring this up so many years later and leave out the NBA's conflict of interest then they are being naive at best.

The only reason I jumped in here is because the poster who made the original comment seemed to be playing the victim card. It is a bad look. Yes, that trade would have helped the Lakers. If it had simultaneously been helpful to the resale value of the Pelicans it would have stood anyway. It wasn't.

My bet is that Stern may have vetoed even without complaints from other owners. suggestinrg the whole mess was Gilbert's fault is a bit ridiculous.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd absolutely love it if the lakers took DeAaron Fox.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was terribly handled by the NBA and they deserve to catch flack for it. But, if people are going to bring this up so many years later and leave out the NBA's conflict of interest then they are being naive at best.

It's the conflict of interest that has Lakers fans pissed off and why it was wrong. The whether the league was wrong for the reasons you state, the reasons Lakers fans state or both...the league was still wrong.

And Cuban and Gilbert should have kept their mouths shut and stayed the fuck out of it, just like they would have if it were any other owner.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the conflict of interest that has Lakers fans pissed off and why it was wrong. The whether the league was wrong for the reasons you state, the reasons Lakers fans state or both...the league was still wrong.

And Cuban and Gilbert should have kept their mouths shut and stayed the fuck out of it, just like they would have if it were any other owner.

I agree with that for sure.

Still, at some point people need move on and stop bringing it up.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost wouldn't be upset about that considering this kid is faster and probably plays better defense...

Considering Russell is already on roster, a combo guard would make good sense. I'd prefer Jackson, but Fox has better value as a combo/SG than at PG in my opinion. He has tremendous potential as a finisher and on defense. If he develops a very good jump shot he could be something.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that for sure.

Still, at some point people need move on and stop bringing it up.

Why do people need to stop bringing it up? Stuff from years ago gets brought up and rehashed on here all of the time. Also, considering the long term effects of that decision, which the Lakers are still feeling some of today, it remains a viable topic.

Look at it this way, if the CP3 trade goes through, do you think the Lakers are giving up all of those draft picks for what was left of Steve Nash in the Dwight/Nash trade?

Granted, some of that is on the Lakers for making the trade in the first place, even though at the time, pretty much everyone thought it was a great move. It was a move (at least the Nash part) that never happens if the trade goes through.

Also, considering what it would have saved them against the salary cap and the fact that they would have had CP3, perhaps they have better luck in FA as well?

The effects of that veto and the Dwight/Nash trade that followed won't be completely gone until, I believe, 2019.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering Russell is already on roster, a combo guard would make good sense. I'd prefer Jackson, but Fox has better value as a combo/SG than at PG in my opinion. He has tremendous potential as a finisher and on defense. If he develops a very good jump shot he could be something.

The problem with that is, they would have 3 combo guards (Russell, Fox and Clarkson), but no true point guard.