• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rickie Fowler: Voted Overrated? Come On

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger's run was an outlier run and never really seen before. Being that he won those majors much like Secretariat in the Belmont. Most of the time the margin of victory is far closer.

Yeah, of course if you make the tour (any tour) you have real ability. If you play regularly or belong to a club, every club has a guy that plays great. I belong to golf club down here in Florida North Palm Beach Country Club. There is a guy that works there, that "almost" made it past the first stage of US Open qualifier. He shot a 70 on Friday, and that was one shot out of what he needed to make it past that stage.

He played briefly on the Canadian Tour and he holds the club record where he shot a 63. BTW, this club (it is public) gets a lot of guys playing on it. Slope of 140 from the tips and it is over 7000 yards. Mark Calcavecchia still plays out there. BTW, on a side note John Stallworth plays out there from time to time. I have met him several times, and he is a great guy.

Anway, the point is every club has a guy like I mentioned. Yet, as good they all are, they do not have the skill to make it to the PGA tour. So, yeah if you are in the top 200 and play on tour you are outstanding.

However, when you are talking about top 13 you are at a different level. If you finish in the top 5 in all majors in a year, you have accomplished a lot. As I said, the players are jealy about his marketing success. They are irritated by his popularity. It is that simple. The guy can flat out play and he proven it before yesterday.

Unfortunately for him, we live in a world that by and large does not adequately appreciate what it means to finish in the top 10 in any tournament let alone top 5 in all four majors.

BTW, like you mention about the amount of money they make, remember when Hunter Mahan left that tournament on a Saturday when he was leading to go be with his wife who was in labor? Now, most women I know would not have been happy with him. Think about it. Walking away from a potential 7 figure check to go be with your wife giving birth. Now, imagine if they did not have bank and he walked away from that. Any woman you know that would have been happy with that decision. I mean what are you doing at the hospital anyway, other than getting in the way? At the very least, I would think being across the street at the local bar with the fellas and cigars would be a better place to be.

Anyway, you get the point.

My brother-n-law used to play out of Lake Jovita CC, just north of Tampa there and there were a few touring pros that played out of there as well...most notably Tim Petrovic...every now and then he play in the mens group game if he was in town and he used to smoke to the scratch club members.

Top 13...no doubt...if you're posting top 25 every week, you're beating over half the field that made the cut...you can play, no question...the reason I know the players that made these picks are talking about off course earning is because players know how hard it is to win out there and even make top 10s, top 5s.

They wouldn't be calling him overrated based on his on course credentials...those were earned.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are talking about players on the PGA tour, you are talking about pure ego. Alpha males if you will, and they all get pretty envious over the marketability in relation to wins with Rickie Fowler. They see girls thinking he is "so cute" with his Johnny Depp look.

Hence, you get players stating that he is "overrated."

Fowler finished in the top 5 in all of the majors last year. That, is no mistake and that is as impressive if you won ONE and did not finish in the top in the rest.

What he did yesterday will be talked about for decades. Then to go out and win it and stick shots after what he did on 17? Unreal. Good kid, and great player.

The real question I think some have is why wasn't he wearing his Sunday Oklahoma State orange that he usually wears?

Mother's Day respect perhaps. I mean all the marshalls were wearing pink

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@WhiteMamba was inspired by Rickie's recent win. So much so, he went out and bought himself a pair of Pumas

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who wouldn't rock that?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the best stretches of golf I've ever seen.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_inline_mhd2xf1ym61r71zdp.gif

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy that one bit. I think players are just pissed because he is so popular!

Rickie Fowler not concerned about overrated poll this week at the Players Championship

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- Rickie Fowler was casually thumbing his way through Twitter recently, scrolling aimlessly, when he came across his own name. It was posted in regard to a Sports Illustrated player poll in which he shared the dubious distinction of being voted the PGA Tour's most overrated pro.

He didn't smash his phone against the nearest wall in reaction. Didn't vow vengeance against his peers. Didn't type a snarky response and press the send button.

"I laughed," said Fowler, who shot an opening-round 69 at the Players Championship on Thursday. "I thought it was funny."

As it turns out, Fowler was in the minority. Most others tweeting about the poll have very earnestly either come to his defense or supported the anonymous opinion of his fellow players -- and there hasn't been much in between.

I agree with the poll that he gets a lot more attention than someone with his mediocre record suggests he should.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. A birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie finish is fantastic; especially since he needed every one of thos strokes just to make the playoffs. he continued that good play in the playoff with two birdies on the four holes he played.