• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rey's 2017 Eagles Mock 3/26/2017

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Vick went above and beyond in trying to make restitutions. He was taken under the wing by Tony Dungy, and seemed to really want to turn things around. He even paid a huge amount of money that he could have gotten out of. I think there is a huge difference, and was a lot of evidence to suggest he had turned things around. Dungy and McNabb both lobbied for him. Not sure this is apples to apples.

As you say....you're not sure. I would take a smallish rookie deal to find out more. You can always Josh Huff him.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface this by saying that I "personally" would never strike a female unless it was to protect somebody I love who was in danger ... so I am not justifying by any means Mixon punching her. With that being said ... this girl waived Mixon over to her table, used a racial slur, spit on him, pushed him and finally slapped him before he punched her. Again ... he should have realized the strength difference and found a way to walk away from the situation, "but" the girl basically dared him to hit her. I have no idea of Mixon's upbringing ... but we're talking about an 18 year old kid being punked in front of a whole lot of people. The kid made a costly mistake ... but the girl should not be getting a free ride and holds a big part of the blame as well.

Last edited:

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson was asked about Mixon in a press conference today, and reporters seemed to think from his answer that he may actually be under consideration, FYI.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson was asked about Mixon in a press conference today, and reporters seemed to think from his answer that he may actually be under consideration, FYI.

The organization has been pretty active in getting info on Mixon and are scheduled to work him out this week sometime. My guess is that he has about a 30% chance of going in Rd 1.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think E-Nut suggested he could go as high as 15 to the Colts, I wouldn't rule that out. Too much risk to take him at 14 but I would take him if available at 43.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will preface this by saying that I "personally" would never strike a female unless it was to protect somebody I love who was in danger ... so I am not justifying by any means Mixon punching her. With that being said ... this girl waived Mixon over to her table, used a racial slur, spit on him, pushed him and finally slapped him before he punched her. Again ... he should have realized the strength difference and found a way to walk away from the situation, "but" the girl basically dared him to hit her. I have no idea of Mixon's upbringing ... but we're talking about an 18 year old kid being punked in front of a whole lot of people. The kid made a costly mistake ... but the girl should not be getting a free ride and holds a big part of the blame as well.

I totally get what you are saying. And I get the spirit in which you are saying it. Others would not. This is still a societal thing. If a guy anywhere near his size was acting a fool he would have gotten jacked up and we would all say Ok. But just the report of this little girl, no matter what she was doing.....the only defense would have been self defense. And she just does not throw self defense up with her size.

Toss in the optics and it is the Ray Rice effect.

My point....it's entirely possible he has learned well from it. So why are we debating one player because we have optics on an event? All of these guys spend life rattling their brains. And we are seeing the results often. How many road rage incidents have we seen with players over recent time? A USF player was just shot last weekend over a road rage incident.

Look....putting societal norms and how guys are raised aside there is growing evidence that players develop brain issues earlier and earlier due to football. These issues can lead to impulse control problems. Which is just what we saw in that video.

Ask any team executive candidly and I'm sure they will tell you they worry about whole chunks of the roster being in the news one day for something like this. So why are we even saying we would pass on such talent if it's there in 2nd/3rd? It doesn't make sense.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The company we keep.... tells a lot about us tho.

Have you had that happen to you? Think Wentz has? Why do you figure that is?? Do you put yourself in that situation? He should have walked away, and not stayed long enough to have it escalate that way. There really is no justification. But your 100% right, the woman was a low life.

This said, I trust the FO to make the call. He isn't the only talent around, and we don't need a cancer or distraction. It really gets down to meeting him, talking to him, and the FO seeing what they think about the kid.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way anyone takes Mixon in round one. I would bet on that. Several teams including the Pats and Dolphins reportedly took him off their draft boards entirely. As in, not even in the 7th round. To me, the guy is only worth the PR headache if you are getting him in like the 4th round, if at all.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mixon never hit a woman, he probably still would be a late first rounder at best IMO. He has good size and speed but lacks power. Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey are all better prospects IMO, even if you take the off-field stuff off the table. That said, he can catch the ball, so he has some of the skills Dougie likes.

One other tidbit from the Pederson press conference: He made pretty clear he doesn't see Smallwood as more than a rotation back. Smallwood is not in line to start. Someone else will be toting the rock this year.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference between forgiveness and using a draft pick for the right to pay someone a couple million dollars. Mixon should get a second chance -- but I don't fault anyone who is unwilling to be the person to give him that second chance.

This wasn't simply a mistake. It's a character flaw . . . and a big one. Can he turn his life around? Can he redeem himself? Sure. But I hope it's not with the Eagles.
He had his punishment already. Wanting to punish him again just because a video came out is a character flaw. You have no idea if he has to turn anything around anymore.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think E-Nut suggested he could go as high as 15 to the Colts, I wouldn't rule that out. Too much risk to take him at 14 but I would take him if available at 43.
That's the thing, the future risk just isn't there. This shit was in the past, and actually far in the past.

This guy took his punishment. I don't think he's any more likely to do something like this in the future than any other draft pick.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fournette, Cook and McCaffrey are all better prospects IMO, even if you take the off-field stuff off the table.

Lots of scouts/draft people would disagree with that.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Vick went above and beyond in trying to make restitutions. He was taken under the wing by Tony Dungy, and seemed to really want to turn things around. He even paid a huge amount of money that he could have gotten out of. I think there is a huge difference, and was a lot of evidence to suggest he had turned things around. Dungy and McNabb both lobbied for him. Not sure this is apples to apples.
Vick had an entire criminal organization built up that murdered people's loved ones. Not close to apples to apples. But he deserved a second chance too.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had his punishment already. Wanting to punish him again just because a video came out is a character flaw. You have no idea if he has to turn anything around anymore.

Not rewarding someone and punishing someone are not the same thing.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not rewarding someone and punishing someone are not the same thing.
That's bullshit. He's being rewarded for his football talent, not anything else. And you want to punish him again for something he's already been punished for.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixon is going to get drafted regardless of the Eagles (somewhere in Rd 2 at worst) ... so you're not punishing him by passing him over. If anything you are punishing yourself by not taking advantage of getting yourself a significant upgrade at a need position. I keep going back to Ty Hill from KC ... nobody is giving KC any hell for drafting him despite doing something twice as bad as Mixon did and they took full advantage of the upgrade he gave them. As eaglenut said ... he has already been punished for what he did and served his time by having to sit out a year; time to move on. Doesn't mean you ever have to like the guy, but this is football, you play to win the game! :)

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, the future risk just isn't there. This shit was in the past, and actually far in the past.

This guy took his punishment. I don't think he's any more likely to do something like this in the future than any other draft pick.

I'm starting to think that if the Birds are confident in their investigations, he could very well be a consideration at 14. I don't think at this point anything is off the table - Lurie did not comment directly about Mixon specifically when asked, but he did say (more or less) that no player is exempt when it comes to evaluations.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bullshit. He's being rewarded for his football talent, not anything else. And you want to punish him again for something he's already been punished for.

If talent were all that mattered, you'd have a point. But it isn't. That's why very talented players sometimes move from team to team. The Eagles have to factor in whether Mixon's presence on the roster would create any issues in the locker room, would serve as a distraction for a 2nd year coach who is probably already in over his head, and any other issues that may arise because of him. It's not purely about talent. Just a few months ago, he had another incident -- albeit minor -- where he again exhibited anger/maturity/aggression/whatever-you-want-to-call-it issues.

Look -- if the Eagles draft him, I'll root for the guy to redeem himself for his past transgressions. I'm going to do that regardless. But I have some doubts about him actually doing that. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Either way, I'm against drafting an RB early in this draft -- so I'm definitely against drafting an RB with some pretty serious off the field issues.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe Mixon's issues will be in the locker room - by all accounts he was highly regarded by his teammates, never had any issues with is coaches. It's after the season is over, during the bye week, etc., someone has to keep an eye on him and lay some ground rules to make him realize what's at stake. Ultimately, it will be up to Mixon to realize that, I'd be a little leery to take him at 14 but I wouldn't be mad if the Birds did.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If talent were all that mattered, you'd have a point. But it isn't. That's why very talented players sometimes move from team to team. The Eagles have to factor in whether Mixon's presence on the roster would create any issues in the locker room, would serve as a distraction for a 2nd year coach who is probably already in over his head, and any other issues that may arise because of him. It's not purely about talent. Just a few months ago, he had another incident -- albeit minor -- where he again exhibited anger/maturity/aggression/whatever-you-want-to-call-it issues.

Look -- if the Eagles draft him, I'll root for the guy to redeem himself for his past transgressions. I'm going to do that regardless. But I have some doubts about him actually doing that. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Either way, I'm against drafting an RB early in this draft -- so I'm definitely against drafting an RB with some pretty serious off the field issues.
Talented, angry and aggressive! Get me some of that. Maybe he can play linebacker too.