• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rey's 2017 Eagles Mock 3/26/2017

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rd 1 Pick 21: CB Gareon Conley Ohio State
*** The Eagles have completely ignored the obvious problem at the CB position this off season and lost 2 players from that unit without replacing anyone. The best player left on on the unit is Jalen Mills who the jury is still out on; he did ok at times for a rookie, but got burned often as well. In steps Gareon Conley who has all the physical tools to be a #1 boundary Corner, but needs some refining … especially in the jamming and hand usage department. At 6'0” 200 pounds with very long wing span, he is the perfect size you look for in a Corner and matches up nicely against some of the bigger Corners in our division. He is excellent at defending down field when the ball is in the air and has really good break on the ball using top athleticism. While I've always been a fan of Gareon I looked at him more as a value pick in Rd 2, but enough “respectable” Draft guys like Mayock, Kiper and Jeremiah have him in that middle first area where I don't think it's as much of a reach as did before. He held opposing CB's to a miniscule QB rating of just 14 when they threw his way this past season.

Rd 2: Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma
*** We all have seen the video and obviously it was a huge mistake in judgment on his part. That being said, everyone makes big mistakes in their life and his happened a day after his 18th birthday. Mixon imo is every bit as good of a pro prospect as Cook/Fournette and will no doubt be drafted, so getting him in Rd 2 is a steal if we are looking at it from a talent standpoint. The kid is a stud 3 down Back who reminds me a bunch of Le'Veon Bell and he's just 20 years old. I think with everything he's been through after the incident, it's highly unlikely that he does anything out of line like that again. He had never had any violence incidents prior to that day and was given the chance by Oklahoma to transfer else where and play (as opposed to serving the one year playing ban), yet he decided to accept the one year suspension and stuck with Oklahoma to serve his time. If Tyreek Hill, who punched his “pregnant” girlfriend in the stomach and then strangled her to boot (way worse than what Mixon did) … can not only be playing in the league, but considered one of it's upcoming stars … I don't see any reason to stay away from taking Mixon. The Eagles brass was at Mixon's Pro Day and are bringing him in for one of their interviews, so we are obviously not one of the teams who have taken him off their draft board.

*** Backup plan for this pick: If Mixon is gone by this pick (not at all impossible), I would take RB Alvin Kamara here. While Mixon would be a steal here, Kamara would be solid value at this spot. After Kamara there is a fairly steep drop in talent level. Kamara quite possibly has the best balance I've seen from this RB class; very difficult to bring down with a very strong lower body. Especially when the Vols used him in the passing game. Solid blocker with the ability to be a 3 down Back. Has not been overworked in college as the other top Backs and even though he's had some injuries in the past, comes in with a clean bill of health.

Rd 3: Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado
*** Colorado had a great tandem with Chidobe Awuzie and this guy. Witherspoon is tall for a Corner with long arms. Excellent speed and athletic ability to play press or off coverage. For a player of his height he has very good agility. Receivers will find is really hard to win jump balls against Witherspoon as not only is he tall and long, but also has a 40+ inch vertical combined with long speed. His weakness is against the run where he is not a good tackler and because of it shies away from mixing it up. Ahkello does have the frame to add some weight and improve that tackling strength … but if you want a player who can defend and pick off passes, Witherspoon is great value in Rd 3. Think a faster and more athletic Bobby Taylor of Eagles past.

Rd 4: Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa
*** Johnson has really good hand use and initial punch off the snap; he shows the technique needed to disengage blockers and either stuff the run or get to the QB (7.5 sacks as a senior). Good motor for a DT, but more of a tweener in that while solid as both a run stuffer and pass rusher, teams are looking for Tackles to be really good at one or the other. I have Jaleel ranked higher than Rd 4, but his consensus draft position seems to be in this area. I think he would be a really nice replacement for Bennie Logan.

Rd 4: Tarell Basham DE Ohio
*** Basham is not a finished product by any means, but his potential is certainly there as a hustler with a “you can't stop me” attitude. 6'4” 270 lbs, ran a 4.7 flat at the Combine with really long arms. Needs to get a little stronger, but I love players with measurables and hustle who have the tools needed to play at the pro level. He's likely going to be a reserve player year one while coaches work with him on sharpening his pass rush arsenal. Vinny Curry will step into the starting DE spot this year now that Barwin is gone. Marcus Smith and Basham would be the primary backups.

Rd 5: Corn Elder CB Miami
*** Despite being 5'10”, Elder is an excellent, quick twitch CB with exceptional break on the ball. Very physical in the run game and hits like a player who is much bigger. Obviously you don't want him covering the Dez Bryant's of the world, but that's why you took Gareon Conley in Round 1. Elder can cover your quicker/faster smaller flankers or slot guys and will play strong in run support. If he were 2 inches taller I think he would have a shot of going much earlier than this. Is drafting 3 CB's overkill? I don't think so … again, all we have is a questionable starter in Jalen Mills and Ron Brooks who may not even make the team with the new talent now coming in.

Rd 6: Mack Hollins WR North Carolina
*** Hollins is a 6'4” 220 lb big play WR with long arms, big hands and 4.5 speed who's a special teams ace. So why on earth would a player like that be available here? Injuries … he's played in less that 50% of Carolina's offensive snaps since he's been there. That being said, this is the kind of guy you take a chance on because when healthy he's going to be very valuable on special teams even if he's a work in progress as a receiver. Check out the vid below to see what he's capable of when he's on the field. Reminds me of a little of Tampa Bay's Mike Evans on those deep balls.

Rd 7: Storm Norton OT Toledo
*** I noticed Storm a few times while watching some film on Kareem Hunt. He needs to get stronger in the lower body, but is really good at getting to the 2nd level with blocks. He's better at run blocking, but I think with increased leg strength he can improve a good deal at pass blocking. I think the Eagles are good at OLine for this season and it isn't a great OL draft, so more than likely they will look at next year's draft to pluck players ... this draft will be all about improving their 2ndary and snagging a reliable running mate for Carson Wentz.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good Rey. I'll respond in depth later. Lots of research, as usual. I think I will take a WR earlier. i really want Ryan Switzer, slot receiver, waterbug type, safety valve for Wentz. I may still take another WR as well, since Smith and Jeffrey may not be back in 2018.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the plan. Really develops the depth on the dline and at corner.

Mixon is going to go in the first round IMO. The more teams look at these RBs the more he looks like the best of the bunch. The video has nothing to do with football and is an owner consideration not a GM or scout consideration. People that can't practice forgiveness are pathetic in my book. Some owner will sign off on him and maybe Irsay as early as 15. What GM is going to want to draft a worse RB over a better RB in the first? Not many IMO.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we will take more weapons for Wentz in this draft; add CBs for sure, and DL, as you have done, but I feel that they want to protect Wentz and surround him with playmakers, and then go for defense more in 2018. Just me.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Wentz either Mixon or Kamara in Rd 2 will go a long way towards helping him Offensively. Alshon and Ertz will be your two big targets in the passing game and guys like Alshon and Smith are going to also open up Matthews in the slot. The big need Offensively is to get that primary RB which we would get in Mixon or Kamara ... two 3 Down type Backs who are excellent in the passing game. There's simply not enough picks to nail all needs and we can't ignore needs on Defense to take a WR too early who won't really see the field or the ball much.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My turn, but no time for the details that Rey has, which he should be a scout.
1-14: Corey Davis, WR, W. Mich.
2-43: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colo.
3-74: Wayne Gallman, RB, Tenn.
4-119: Ryan Switzer, WR, UNC (one of my faves).
4-139: Eric Magnuson, OT, Mich.
5-155: Jeremy Cutrer, CB, Middle Tenn.
6-194: Ryan Glasgow, DT, Mich.
7-230: Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

This is not my final, by any means, just a comparison with Rey's (the master).

Pick it apart.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My turn, but no time for the details that Rey has, which he should be a scout.
1-14: Corey Davis, WR, W. Mich.
2-43: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colo.
3-74: Wayne Gallman, RB, Tenn.
4-119: Ryan Switzer, WR, UNC (one of my faves).
4-139: Eric Magnuson, OT, Mich.
5-155: Jeremy Cutrer, CB, Middle Tenn.
6-194: Ryan Glasgow, DT, Mich.
7-230: Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

This is not my final, by any means, just a comparison with Rey's (the master).

Pick it apart.

If Corey Davis is there at #14, I'm 100% in on this kid. An amazing prospect who should go much higher, but lack of combine and pro days will benefit whoever he falls to.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to an ankle injury, several mocks have him sliding back into the later 1st round.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixon may be available for the Eagles in the 3rd round. Talent wise I like Mixon and Kamara. I like Basham quite a bit but I think there may be better CB's available in the 3rd than Witherspoon but in all honesty I don't know a great deal about him. For DT I have been on the Nazir Jones bandwagon since the git go. I also am liking I. Ford at WR although your guy Hollins looks good.
The Eagles could go in several directions with their picks by dropping back for more picks, going offense first or going defense first or mixing it up. I am still trying to figure out the best plan and so far the best I can come up with is dropping back and picking up another 2nd round pick and then nailing the CB and RB holes.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing really wrong with the picks there Rey I just am curious as to what we got drop 7 picks. :)
My only beef old duke is the # of corners drafted early. #'s wise I think we need 2-3 corners by the end of round 4 -- I understand if the draft falls a certain way that BPA means not reaching .. so obviously if the corners werent there to pick then you gotta make the picks you can.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice effort Rey.

Makes a lot of sense, this draft would be pretty good for us. I have a feeling that Basham will go before our 2nd 4th round pick though. I was thinking he might be more of a 3rd round guy at this point.

But I like everything else, Elder in the 5th is good value. I'm nitpicking but I'd replace Storm in the 7th with Jylan Ware from Alabama State - I would love to see Stout get his hands on him, he's got a lot of natural ability for the NFL - good project to develop.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the plan. Really develops the depth on the dline and at corner.

Mixon is going to go in the first round IMO. The more teams look at these RBs the more he looks like the best of the bunch. The video has nothing to do with football and is an owner consideration not a GM or scout consideration. People that can't practice forgiveness are pathetic in my book. Some owner will sign off on him and maybe Irsay as early as 15. What GM is going to want to draft a worse RB over a better RB in the first? Not many IMO.

There is a difference between forgiveness and using a draft pick for the right to pay someone a couple million dollars. Mixon should get a second chance -- but I don't fault anyone who is unwilling to be the person to give him that second chance.

This wasn't simply a mistake. It's a character flaw . . . and a big one. Can he turn his life around? Can he redeem himself? Sure. But I hope it's not with the Eagles.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is really great, Rey! Wow! If the team follows this to a T I would not be the least bit upset.

One question....I see Round 1 is the 21 pick. What did you get for the seven slot bump down?

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played with a couple of possible trade down scenario's ... one was with Detroit, but I ended up staying at 14, just forgot to change it back to 14 on the post.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm ok with Mixon (no incidents before or after - seems like an isolated case) ... I can completely understand if some people can't get past the punch; hard to respect someone who hits a woman regardless of circumstance.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Lurie approves picking him, I'm OK, as he deserves a second chance. That is the only violation that he has, I think.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as they did their due diligence on Mixon I have no issue with the pic; I do look at hitting a woman as a pretty bad act, but if this is an isolated incident and he has "done his time" then he should be given a 2nd chance. I do also think that the Eagles have a good support system in place and that they have a good vet collection and some high character players and former players like Dawkins, Matthews, Wentz and Jenkins that could help keep his nose clean.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Lurie approves picking him, I'm OK, as he deserves a second chance. That is the only violation that he has, I think.

Nope. The guy is a bag of shit, got in an altercation with a female parking attendant last season.

Documents detail altercation between OU’s Joe Mixon and parking attendant

"Mixon then ripped the citation in half and threw it at the parking attendant.

According to the incident report, the torn pieces hit the parking attendant in the face.

Mixon then got into his vehicle and "inched at the officer with vehicle in drive to intimidate the officer with vehicle," the report details."

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not hip on drafting him, but again its up to Lurie, as he OK'd Michael Vick. So, we'll see.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not hip on drafting him, but again its up to Lurie, as he OK'd Michael Vick. So, we'll see.

Mike Vick went above and beyond in trying to make restitutions. He was taken under the wing by Tony Dungy, and seemed to really want to turn things around. He even paid a huge amount of money that he could have gotten out of. I think there is a huge difference, and was a lot of evidence to suggest he had turned things around. Dungy and McNabb both lobbied for him. Not sure this is apples to apples.