• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Revised season outlook

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching us play what was the best second half I've seen in very long time, I feel a lot better about us winning 8-9 games this year. While we are far and away from being the best team in conference, we will be favored in the majority of our games and should continue to get better. We got punched in the mouth this weekend by Auburn, and not only did we come out swinging, we actually kept swinging until the refs called it. For all the doubters pertaining to Dabo, you have to admit at he gets fired up and seems to be making the correct adjustments (or at least letting the coordinators run their respective ships like he should).

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: It would've helped had I posted my picks through the end of the season...

Clemson vs. FSU - FSU has a damn good defense and that game against Oklahoma was BRUTAL!!! With the game being in Death Valley and the Seminoles potentially being without EJ Manuel, I think the Tigers pull off the upset 31-24. 4-0

Clemson at VT - Now I'm not so sure about VT dominating their schedule; they've struggled somewhat with ECU and didn't exactly overpower Arky State, but neither did Clemson with Troy or Wofford. I think the Hokies win this one 27-21 in our first road test of the season. 4-1

Clemson vs. BC - With the Eagles struggling mightily, unless Clemson loses Bellamy, Watkins, Peake, Ellington, and Allen, Clemson wins this game handily at home 49-17. 5-1

Clemson at Maryland - I don't know what to make of the Terps; they played very well against a good Miami team, but struggled until late against WVU. If O'Brien can't cut down on turnovers, I think Clemson will employ the clock control they did against Auburn and playing in Byrd Stadium is akin to being at a neutral location now anyway. Clemson wins 42-28. 6-1

Clemson vs. UNC - This team always seems to give us fits; last year, we should have curb stomped the Tarholes in Chapel Hill, but absolutely sucked it up. Clemson should exact revenge in a squeaker 31-28 7-1

Clemson at GT - I. hate. playing. in. Atlanta. Outside of 2003 we have lost some ridiculously close games to Tech, and their offense is absolutely rolling this year. If Wofford was any indication, our offense better put up 40+ if we hope to stay close. GT wins 49-45. 7-2

Clemson vs. Wake - Wake may actually win 7-8 games this year, but with us being at home I don't think (hope?) they have enough to pull the upset this year, but until we prove otherwise, we are still Clemson: 35-14 for the Tigers. 8-2

Clemson at NC State - State is another team that I can't figure out; they suck it up against Liberty until late, blow it to what looked like the weakest Wake team in years, and then win a snoozer against another FCS team. Regardless of what TOB says, he misses Russell Wilson, and Glennon 2.0 isn't much better than the original. Clemson wins their first real road game 38-17. 9-2

Clemson at SCar - With Lattimore, Carolina will gain 150 yards on the ground every game. Without him (and 14+ points from defense/special teams), they are an average team at best. Until Garcia can figure out how to at least get Jeffries involved ala Calvin Johnson at GT, Lattimore will literally carry this team. I think Clemson loses a squeaker 31-30 in Columbia, but this game could be a blowout either way. 9-3

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hokies are a bit of a mystery still. The defense seems to be back and is led by veterans which is helpful. However the O is still a mystery. The Clemson game will be the bell-weather game for this team. I am glad we get you at home. It will be fun.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:doh: It would've helped had I posted my picks through the end of the season...

Clemson vs. FSU - FSU has a damn good defense and that game against Oklahoma was BRUTAL!!! With the game being in Death Valley and the Seminoles potentially being without EJ Manuel, I think the Tigers pull off the upset 31-24. 4-0

Clemson at VT - Now I'm not so sure about VT dominating their schedule; they've struggled somewhat with ECU and didn't exactly overpower Arky State, but neither did Clemson with Troy or Wofford. I think the Hokies win this one 27-21 in our first road test of the season. 4-1

Clemson vs. BC - With the Eagles struggling mightily, unless Clemson loses Bellamy, Watkins, Peake, Ellington, and Allen, Clemson wins this game handily at home 49-17. 5-1

Clemson at Maryland - I don't know what to make of the Terps; they played very well against a good Miami team, but struggled until late against WVU. If O'Brien can't cut down on turnovers, I think Clemson will employ the clock control they did against Auburn and playing in Byrd Stadium is akin to being at a neutral location now anyway. Clemson wins 42-28. 6-1

Clemson vs. UNC - This team always seems to give us fits; last year, we should have curb stomped the Tarholes in Chapel Hill, but absolutely sucked it up. Clemson should exact revenge in a squeaker 31-28 7-1

Clemson at GT - I. hate. playing. in. Atlanta. Outside of 2003 we have lost some ridiculously close games to Tech, and their offense is absolutely rolling this year. If Wofford was any indication, our offense better put up 40+ if we hope to stay close. GT wins 49-45. 7-2

Clemson vs. Wake - Wake may actually win 7-8 games this year, but with us being at home I don't think (hope?) they have enough to pull the upset this year, but until we prove otherwise, we are still Clemson: 35-14 for the Tigers. 8-2

Clemson at NC State - State is another team that I can't figure out; they suck it up against Liberty until late, blow it to what looked like the weakest Wake team in years, and then win a snoozer against another FCS team. Regardless of what TOB says, he misses Russell Wilson, and Glennon 2.0 isn't much better than the original. Clemson wins their first real road game 38-17. 9-2

Clemson at SCar - With Lattimore, Carolina will gain 150 yards on the ground every game. Without him (and 14+ points from defense/special teams), they are an average team at best. Until Garcia can figure out how to at least get Jeffries involved ala Calvin Johnson at GT, Lattimore will literally carry this team. I think Clemson loses a squeaker 31-30 in Columbia, but this game could be a blowout either way. 9-3

I have Clemson losing to FSU 24-14. I think our O-line will have problems opening up running lanes and protecting Boyd. Turnovers will kill us. I don't think their offense will be terribly impressive, but they'll catch db's out of position for big play tds.

I'm dreading that GT game. That'll be the most frustrating game of the season to watch.

Overall: 8-4

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Clemson losing to FSU 24-14. I think our O-line will have problems opening up running lanes and protecting Boyd. Turnovers will kill us. I don't think their offense will be terribly impressive, but they'll catch db's out of position for big play tds.

I'm dreading that GT game. That'll be the most frustrating game of the season to watch.

Overall: 8-4

I just don't see the offense scoring under 21 on Saturday; we're at home, have finally started clicking, and the coaches have made more correct adjustments this season than TB made in his entire career. Even if Manuel/Trickett plays well, FSU doesn't have a great running game which has been our weakness thus far. The Wofford game was somewhat of an aberration for the secondary, as Hall, Meeks, and Brewer didn't play which led to the 2 completions for 158 yards.

I'm with you on the GT game though, I hope they slow way the hell down against UNC which is probably a decent comparison to our defense... I simply hate playing in Atlanta.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I wasn't too far off with my score; if the refs hadn't bungled the INT return for a TD call, I would've been right on the money. Anyway, I was impressed with the way the Tigers played against a depleted FSU team. Trickett is going to be a dadgum quarterback for FSU, and if they even had a couple of receivers, I don't think Clemson would've pulled the win out. For the first time all season though, the opposing team made better adjustments in the second half; I was somewhat disappointed with how the offense responded to FSU after halftime, but we did what we had to do against one of the best defenses we'll face all year.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would get a queasy feeling whenever Boyd would run the ball in the first half. He was actually trying to take on defenders instead of sliding. The coaches have got to get him to stop doing that, especially if Morris is wanting him to run the ball more. That's a recipe for disaster.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he looked sharp and decisive running the ball; the few times he did take on tacklers were on third down runs which are pretty good times to fight for an extra yard or two. He has been leaps and bounds better than I expected, but it remains to be seen whether he (and the rest of the team) can keep it up.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like him taking on defenders when he doesn't need to, it's far too risky. The offense will be crippled if he gets hurt.

IDK, maybe the Tommy Bowden era has conditioned me to expect something bad to happen when things seem to be going well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like him taking on defenders when he doesn't need to, it's far too risky. The offense will be crippled if he gets hurt.

IDK, maybe the Tommy Bowden era has conditioned me to expect something bad to happen when things seem to be going well.

I'm right there with ya bud... I keep holding my breath waiting for things to collapse... However, even if we win 8-9 games this year we have to consider it a success. Breaking in a new offense with 3-4 new (freshman!!!) receivers and replacing our top two defensive lineman and three defensive backs coming off a 6-7 season is a tough task and so far, we're way above expectations and playing with house money.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson 23 - Virginia Tech 3

Damn, that was a gratifying win! A cold, rainy night did nothing to help our offense, but they played it safe and got the job done. Defense only allowed 258 total yards and kept them out of the endzone all night. We certainly look beatable and have much to work on, but we passed a big test tonight. 5 and 0!

I think my favorite moment was seeing the VT fans leaving Lane Stadium early, especially after hearing all week how Clemson wouldn't be able to handle such a hostile environment. USC losing was the icing on the cake.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT free safety Eddie Whitley had this to say after the game:

“We’ve got to respond like we did last year,” said free safety Eddie Whitley. “It was the same feeling. We knew we were better than them, but things happen. We felt the same way when we played JMU last year. As a senior, we have to come back Monday, get the troops right, get our heads back on right, because we’ve got Miami coming in here. We can’t slip up. We can’t have two losses in a row. We have to come back strong on Monday.”

I wouldn't fault someone for trying to remain positive after a loss, especially at such an early point in the season, but he's lost his mind. Clemson was clearly the better team.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson 23 - Virginia Tech 3

I think my favorite moment was seeing the VT fans leaving Lane Stadium early, especially after hearing all week how Clemson wouldn't be able to handle such a hostile environment. USC losing was the icing on the cake.

^^^^ This!! GO TIGERS!!!!!

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go easy on him. Our defense actually played pretty well, so maybe that is why he feels our team is superior to yours. How many times did our defense hold your explosive offense to three and outs? Perhaps that's where Whitley got that from.
Clemson was obviously the better team yesterday. I hope we get our offense and special teams in gear and play again in the ACC championship.

Go Hokies!

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go easy on him. Our defense actually played pretty well, so maybe that is why he feels our team is superior to yours. How many times did our defense hold your explosive offense to three and outs? Perhaps that's where Whitley got that from.
Clemson was obviously the better team yesterday. I hope we get our offense and special teams in gear and play again in the ACC championship.

Go Hokies!

Their defense did play well, but not well enough to keep Clemson from scoring 23 points. I guess he feels offense, special teams, coaching, and the final score are completely irrelevant to determining the better team.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense did play well, but not well enough to keep Clemson from scoring 23 points. I guess he feels offense, special teams, coaching, and the final score are completely irrelevant to determining the better team.
I've seen games where the score did not determine who was the better team but this wasn't one of them.

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen games where the score did not determine who was the better team but this wasn't one of them.

True, those types of games are not uncommon. But based on last night's game, he's either lost his mind or he's just a poor loser for making that statement. Maybe both.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly Clemson outplayed Tech in every facet of the game. On paper, VT could be the greatest team ever to take the field, but the only stats that count are the tallies in the W/L columns. I hope we see you again in Charlotte later on; maybe your offense can show up.