• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Resolving host..." error

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone ever been cursed with this? :gaah:

For four days my big, custom desktop computer (with a 32" monitor) will connect for seconds at a time to the internet and then for hours it stays on "Resolving host..." when trying to go to any site.

Have tried everything I can find and nothing is helping.

Did the dnsflush from command prompt, ran malware scans, used Google DNS servers, etc. All the simple solutions that seem to work for others DON'T work for me. I'm stuck on this old laptop and it really sucks.

Anyone else every had this problem?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For four days my big, custom desktop computer (with a 32" monitor) will connect for seconds at a time to the internet and then for hours it stays on "Resolving host..." when trying to go to any site.

Did the dnsflush from command prompt, ran malware scans, used Google DNS servers, etc. All the simple solutions that seem to work for others DON'T work for me. I'm stuck on this old laptop and it really sucks.

If you have a router of some sort, hold the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds and see if this fixes the problem. I had this happen once and that fixed it for me. You appear to have done everthing else I would have tried.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have you tried hitting it with something heavy?

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just thought of something else. Try updating the drivers for your NIC Card especially if you're using wireless alot. Might have gotten corrupted or be an older version of the drivers.

Go to computer, right click on it and click on manage, then go to device manager and find the network adapters. Right click on that and update drivers. It will let you know if you have the latest or not.

Hope this helps.:suds:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corrupt hosts file...cause by a program I once recommended. :L Seems to happen on 64 bit installs only so far.

So the problem and solution was you essentially:lol:

We all make suggestions that turn sour sometimes, glad someone got it fixed for him.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and I'm kind of pissed about it because I took the recommendation from another site...one that had never let me down before.

We all get burned once in a while, i wouldnt let it bother you. You seem pretty knowledgeable about tech stuff and thats all that matters. good skill to have in todays world.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it does bother me. I don't like giving people bad advice. I probably should have tested it thoroughly myself but time was of the essence and like I said it came highly recommended.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad advice is worse than no advice...

True that.

Those DNS messages can come from a number of causes so there isn't normally a one size fits all. Hammer tried several things, all of which can cause it. Problems with the router, modem, or NIC can cause issues. And of course the good old hosts files. Either of them have been issues. That doesn't even scratch the surface of windows services or other OS related issues.