• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reported: Alex Smith Traded To Redskins

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an agents perspective, you certainly want to have more than one team competing for your client’s services.

I don't think that will be a problem for Cousins, the top QB to hit free agency in awhile.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does sound like unless something crazy happens Cousins will either be with the Broncos or the Vikings. I've heard he has rejected the Browns and Jets already telling them he just doesn't like their situations as much as the first two teams. Seems like money is about maybe 3rd on his chart of things that matter to him as he is willing to take less to go to a team he views as championship caliber.

Looking at he Vikes. Plenty of salary cap. New stadium, Most of their key players sign for 3-4 more years. Much better than Denver at almost every position. Cousins will have to compete with Rodgers ever year.
You have to get HFA first and foremost.

Only thing Elway has is a bad AFCW and the fact he knows how to win Super Bowls.

Going to be really hard to beat the Vikes.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to remember that Cousins is signing long term. This isn't a 2-3 year thing, this is for the rest of his career (for the most part). He will have to think of all the factors, where does he want to be for 7 plus years? Yeah the Vikings are the better team right now, but who is better long term? Who will be better long? Who is the better franchise through the years? As a player signing a huge contract Id want to consider all of those things, not just "next year"

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to remember that Cousins is signing long term. This isn't a 2-3 year thing, this is for the rest of his career (for the most part). He will have to think of all the factors, where does he want to be for 7 plus years? Yeah the Vikings are the better team right now, but who is better long term? Who will be better long? Who is the better franchise through the years? As a player signing a huge contract Id want to consider all of those things, not just "next year"

Yep and if all things are equal, the last factor could be where do you want to live? I'd take Denver, Colorado over Minneapolis every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said "next year " said 3-4 years which will be his contract duration
5 year contract most likely so 3-4 is more than acceptable

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Denver had Dalvin Cook
Hopefully Denver can find its Dalvin Cook this year

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said "next year " said 3-4 years which will be his contract duration
5 year contract most likely so 3-4 is more than acceptable

Never said anyone said next year. Just speaking in general.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep and if all things are equal, the last factor could be where do you want to live? I'd take Denver, Colorado over Minneapolis every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Same- I go to Minneapolis quite a bit, usually about 4 times a year to visit a close friend of mine from college. It's really a pretty nice city, but Denver beats it by miles. I can't imagine many NFL players make their home in Minneapolis in the off-season whereas most who play for Denver do. Minneapolis is fine and all but those southern boys can't take the winters.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish Denver had Dalvin Cook
Hopefully Denver can find its Dalvin Cook this year

I wish they had Antonio Brown- Maybe Denver can find its Antonio Brown this year?

Or Todd Gurley
or whomever you want to insert that you wish they had.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish they had Antonio Brown- Maybe Denver can find its Antonio Brown this year?

Or Todd Gurley
or whomever you want to insert that you wish they had.

Well we might have a shot at a Todd Gurley type in Barkley and the reason I picked davin cook was we were talking Vikings , Denver needs a RB and he was a 1st round talent that dropped to the top of the 2nd right where Denver is at this year. So not so far fetched in this RB heavy draft
So your post is so full of unintentional fail

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins may us Franchise Tag on Cousins again:
Report: Redskins considering franchising Kirk Cousins

To me this makes no sense at all. This will tie up a ton of cap space that they can't use, and will limit the teams that are willing/able to trade from him. Teams may play chicken with them because they can't have ~50 million tied up in 2 players for long.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The young stud QBs are in the NFC
Cousins would potentially have an easier path with Denver
Denver has the legacy of winning

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me this makes no sense at all. This will tie up a ton of cap space that they can't use, and will limit the teams that are willing/able to trade from him. Teams may play chicken with them because they can't have ~50 million tied up in 2 players for long.

This has been discussed out here in DC on sports radio and the consensus is it would be classic Redskins and likely backfire. Cousins would have to sign the tag, so that alone renders this unlikely. But even teams that are interested in Cousins services may drag their feet or if you have the right pick, say...the 5th pick for example, just look toward the draft.

If the Redskins did successfully tag Cousins again, there would eventually be a team that would still trade for him. But the lag would likely result in the Redskins missing out on a FA haul of their own for cap reasons and you could chalk up 2018 as a 3-13 season waiting to happen for them.

But it definitely wouldn’t surprise me if they tried to do it.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at he Vikes. Plenty of salary cap. New stadium, Most of their key players sign for 3-4 more years. Much better than Denver at almost every position. Cousins will have to compete with Rodgers ever year.
You have to get HFA first and foremost.

Only thing Elway has is a bad AFCW and the fact he knows how to win Super Bowls.

Going to be really hard to beat the Vikes.

The young stud QBs are in the NFC
Cousins would potentially have an easier path with Denver
Denver has the legacy of winning
So are you covering both sides of the argument ? ;)

For the record, I’m going with Cousins will sign in Denver and we’ll be very glad we did.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does make some sense... They are looking for compensation for him.

But it is also very risky. Not sure on the rules, but can't they pull the tag after a certain time?

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, they can pull it any time they want - until he signs it. But it also becomes part of their total salaries, which means they wouldn’t be able to participate in FA, and I haven’t looked but they might even have to re-do some current contracts to get under the cap. 34MM would be a lot to hold a clipboard!

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I checked Over the Cap, and they have 47M in cap space, so they do have enough of they want to tag him for $34M.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But imagine what that 34 mil could do for the team spending on other FA's... That's a lot of money on two QB's. I mean the purpose is to trade him obviously if they do tag him, but if they do that early in FA who are they gonna miss out on trying to trade Cousins?

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much cap space would we need to

Sign Cousins
Sign Good TE
LT like Solder
Draft picks