• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reported: Alex Smith Traded To Redskins

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January 30, 2018 08:32 PM

Quarterback Alex Smith has a new home, as sources tell The Star that the Chiefs have reached agreement to trade their veteran starter of the last five seasons to Washington.

There is no word on the compensation yet, and any trade involving Smith can’t be completed until the first day of the new league year, which begins at 3 p.m. on March 14. But the sources say the deal is in place and will proceed.

Chiefs trade Alex Smith to Washington, saving $17 million

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins to Denver seems more more likely by the day.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, didnt expect such news before the superbowl was even played

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. That's what I was thinking. Eliminates a vet option for DEN in Smith, and makes Cousins expendable in WAS.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BIG news.

Goodbye Cousins.

Hello Cousins?

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am surprised that the Redskins gave up on Cousins so quickly, but perhaps the sides are too far apart on the numbers. Smith's deal is pretty reasonable for a starting QB in the NFL.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they actually "gave up" on him. They burned their bridges with him.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone edited Kirk Cousins' Wikipedia page to say that he was traded to the Cardinals today.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a few options that seemed likely for Cousins. DEN was one and WAS was another. If WAS is going to pay Smith then they aren't going to pay Cousins, so that's one option off the table for him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few options that seemed likely for Cousins. DEN was one and WAS was another. If WAS is going to pay Smith then they aren't going to pay Cousins, so that's one option off the table for him.
Elway seems enamored with Baker Mayfield.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Cousins wants to win, and find the right team he can help win

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2018, 2:09 PM EST

Two things can happen for Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins this offseason, and both of them are lucrative: He can either sign the franchise tag and play another season for Washington with a guaranteed salary of $34 million, or he can hit unrestricted free agency and shop himself to the highest bidder.

Cousins is excited about those possibilities. But if he does hit free agency, he wants a team that will not only offer him a lot of money but also offer him an opportunity to win a Super Bowl.

“Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

Cousins has signed the franchise tag the last two years, and he indicated that if Washington puts the tag on him again this year, he’ll sign it again and play the 2018 season for $34 million.

“I think we’ll do what we’ve done the past two seasons. There’s no need to change the script. Stay consistent with the plan: Let the team do what they want to do,” Cousins said. “We’ll see what the Redskins want to do and then I’ll react accordingly.”

Although some players complain about the franchise tag, Cousins has already played on it twice and said he and his agent think it’s a good deal for a quarterback.

“There’s been a false narrative out there,” Cousins said. “Mike McCartney has really counseled me all along, if the team franchises you one, two, three times, just sign it.”

So what happens when the new league year begins in March? Does Cousins sign another franchise tag? Does he sign a long-term deal to remain in Washington? Or does he leave?

“We’ll see where it ends,” Cousins said of his career in Washington. “It may end this March, it may end years from now. Who knows?”

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am still on the fence about Cousins. I think he is good enough to elevate this 5-11 team to a 10-6 team right away. He may be a guy who can lead the Broncos to playoff run after playoff run. Signing him frees up that #5 pick to address some other area of need for this team. I just question for the price he may demand, I’m gonna want to see a legit SB contender and I am not so certain of his ability to get us there.

With that said it is hard to fully blame him for not being able to fully shoulder the Redskins. They’ve been 9-7, 8-7-1, and 7-9 the pst three years, and it likely would have been much worse without Cousins. The Redskins are marginally more functional than the Browns. Maybe Denver would be a better environment for him and his career could fully take off.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish it was 3/14 it's going to be a long month plus waiting.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2018, 2:09 PM EST

Two things can happen for Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins this offseason, and both of them are lucrative: He can either sign the franchise tag and play another season for Washington with a guaranteed salary of $34 million, or he can hit unrestricted free agency and shop himself to the highest bidder.

Cousins is excited about those possibilities. But if he does hit free agency, he wants a team that will not only offer him a lot of money but also offer him an opportunity to win a Super Bowl.

“Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

Cousins has signed the franchise tag the last two years, and he indicated that if Washington puts the tag on him again this year, he’ll sign it again and play the 2018 season for $34 million.

“I think we’ll do what we’ve done the past two seasons. There’s no need to change the script. Stay consistent with the plan: Let the team do what they want to do,” Cousins said. “We’ll see what the Redskins want to do and then I’ll react accordingly.”

Although some players complain about the franchise tag, Cousins has already played on it twice and said he and his agent think it’s a good deal for a quarterback.

“There’s been a false narrative out there,” Cousins said. “Mike McCartney has really counseled me all along, if the team franchises you one, two, three times, just sign it.”

So what happens when the new league year begins in March? Does Cousins sign another franchise tag? Does he sign a long-term deal to remain in Washington? Or does he leave?

“We’ll see where it ends,” Cousins said of his career in Washington. “It may end this March, it may end years from now. Who knows?”

I hope Peyton would be our ambassador along with Elway on why Cousin should come to Denver and win a Super Bowl

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Peyton would be our ambassador along with Elway on why Cousin should come to Denver and win a Super Bowl

I wonder how much Peyton would want to help the Broncos land a QB though. Peyton and Elway were not exactly known as good friends by the time Manning retired. Maybe the Super Bowl win though helped smooth some of that out between the two.

I've been a big fighter against the Broncos going after Cousins in big part because of the contract that most were talking about. If he does come to Denver though on that big guaranteed contract but lower cap hits then I would be much more for it. The team can still add talent around him and that 5th pick becomes very valuable with teams knowing the Jets will want to take a QB.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason, I'm just not sold on Cousins. I think he's a very good quarterback but I don't know if he'll ever get to that "special" category for the Broncos and the long term investment is a pretty big risk, IMO. His stats look pretty decent but the eye test just isn't ringing my bell. I'm probably wrong but bringing him in feels nothing like when we landed Peyton Manning. (of course no one is PFM but PFM).

I get more excited about the prospect of landing a young stud in the draft at #5 and having the Broncos commit and build the team around him for the long haul. Our version of what the Rams have done with Goff and what the Eagles have done with Wentz. I know that this approach is probably even riskier. Good thing that I'm not a front office personnel guy!