• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember in the BigEast days when

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about undefeated? I was looking at this yesterday everyone wasnsayingnour schedulenwasnweak with the two D2 teams, but even with them thisnschedulenhas been tough. Exciting football for sure.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh... wait a minute...

I know I read it here somewhere that the BE was just as good a conference as the Big East.

If you read it on the internet... it has to be true...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh... wait a minute...

I know I read it here somewhere that the BE was just as good a conference as the Big East.

If you read it on the internet... it has to be true...
HEY, that makes just as much sense as a lot of what you post, BB!!!!!

Gold, how are you counting, ranked at the time of the game, or just anytime during the season? 2007 WVU played three teams that had been top five during the season, so you can change your criteria to say what you want to point out. UMD was not ranked when we played the game.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY, that makes just as much sense as a lot of what you post, BB!!!!!

Gold, how are you counting, ranked at the time of the game, or just anytime during the season? 2007 WVU played three teams that had been top five during the season, so you can change your criteria to say what you want to point out. UMD was not ranked when we played the game.

I agree with you it matters what they all finish, just saying right now it has been a tough schedule....not dancing on anyones grave with this statement.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you it matters what they all finish, just saying right now it has been a tough schedule....not dancing on anyones grave with this statement.
I have no use for the polls anyway, hell, they are based on popularity and name more than anything else, AND they are self fulfilling prophesy in that they will try to keep who they had high in the preseason poll high just to be right. IF Ohio State goes 11-1, they are a top five team, with a good shot at the "title" game, if Iowa goes 11-1 they MAY be in the top 10, and have NO shot at the "title".

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no use for the polls anyway, hell, they are based on popularity and name more than anything else, AND they are self fulfilling prophesy in that they will try to keep who they had high in the preseason poll high just to be right. IF Ohio State goes 11-1, they are a top five team, with a good shot at the "title" game, if Iowa goes 11-1 they MAY be in the top 10, and have NO shot at the "title".

Funny thing is even if Iowa plays the same schedule as Ohio St...

This year your going to have a two loss SEC team play for the title, I see it already lining up.

The Polls also suck in a sense of a team that comes on during the year has to claw their way up, and is at a great disadvantage to a team that stats at the top even if the team that startsw at the top has a L. Does not make any freakin sense. :gaah:

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't place too much in the polls. It seems to be nothing more than a PR push to this program or that, and mostly it is sometimes not based on rather rational opinions. A serious look has to be taken at our own rankings after a 5-0 start just last season. Everybody, even the pollsters, looked past our defensive ability to stop anybody, and based way to much on the offensive numbers, voted us up to(was it #5?). I mean come on, even the most irrational fan could identify there was a problem defensively, and in my humble opinion, it took 5 games for defensive coordinators in the conference to figure out the offense, and begin a methodical dismemberment and at the end, teams were reading Holgerson's mind, whether because he wasn't changing things up, OR, he was limited(more the reason I think) in player talent to make too many changes. But, it clearly exposed the irrationality of the pollsters. They seem to latch onto one or two teams and ride the bus till it falls off the cliff, even the computer models are sorely mistaken time and time again. It comes down to the field of play, and the attitudes and ability of the players there on, we as fans, and those pollsters, can not out think, nor determine just what those young men are gonna do, without being wrong most of the time. I do believe that if enough people, fans or polls, tell a young man he is a champion, that can ONLY enhance the ability of that player or group of players on the field, the same is in the reverse, if the fans and those great analysts of football knowledge tell a player or entire team, that they are losers, the direct influence of their attitudes on the field instill one thing, losing. Only those players of a different inner capability rise above their circumstance to give us something beyond imagination, something not about ego, and those players are becoming rarer and rarer because today we begin pushing this idea that they are special in Jr. High, and by the time they hit college play, they are so pedestaled with the praise as to believe they are somehow entitled to it no matter their performance. That is the failure of the polls, it is false in it's praise, and scorn.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When WVU was 5-0, how many ranked teams had they beaten?

How did that compare to the other teams ranked either ahead or behind them?

While rankings have bias, they usually work to identify the top teams by who they've beaten.

I get upset when bias seems to affect the final outcome of the top 2 ranked teams. I hate when a team that has a better resume of wins falls behind a team which lost earlier in the season... or their loss is considered a better loss than another team's.

That is why I am happy we now have a playoff starting next year.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas St last year.....if you look at the schedule as a whole they had a way better showing than Bama...solid road wins, ranked teams, Opponents win loss record....I hate it when they give teams more credit for L's than the wins they have.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When WVU was 5-0, how many ranked teams had they beaten?

How did that compare to the other teams ranked either ahead or behind them?

While rankings have bias, they usually work to identify the top teams by who they've beaten.

I get upset when bias seems to affect the final outcome of the top 2 ranked teams. I hate when a team that has a better resume of wins falls behind a team which lost earlier in the season... or their loss is considered a better loss than another team's.

That is why I am happy we now have a playoff starting next year.

I hope to one day see a REAL playoff in college football, one with all the league champions included, just as this year with UL, who is to say they are NOT the best team?? A championship should be decided ON the field. EVERY other level of football, and every other sport has a real playoff!!!!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope to one day see a REAL playoff in college football, one with all the league champions included, just as this year with UL, who is to say they are NOT the best team?? A championship should be decided ON the field. EVERY other level of football, and every other sport has a real playoff!!!!!!

I have no idea where college football is heading. When the big 5 conferences were having their media day sessions in August, it sounded like a split was happening. Today, we don't hear so much news on this front. I guess we have to wait until the next meetings of commissioners to know their plans.

I expect to see an expanded field in the near future. Just like everything that has happened with expansion, it is revenue generated. The money that will be thrown at an expanded field will be too much for schools and conferences to refuse.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea where college football is heading. When the big 5 conferences were having their media day sessions in August, it sounded like a split was happening. Today, we don't hear so much news on this front. I guess we have to wait until the next meetings of commissioners to know their plans.

I expect to see an expanded field in the near future. Just like everything that has happened with expansion, it is revenue generated. The money that will be thrown at an expanded field will be too much for schools and conferences to refuse.
I just have never understood how the big boys can look at the money to be made from a playoff, yet stubbornly want to stick to the bowl model....... The lame excuses they have come up with have been very humorous. I understand that the SEC is scared to play a playoff, as their mystique would end the first time they lost a playoff game, but why is everyone else so stuck to bowls, where MOST teams actually lose money???????

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be interested in knowing where our sos stands right now compared to some of the top 25. Gonna be interesting next year when the sos is supposed to "matter", but I have a sneaky feeling that those big money big tv number programs will still get the nod if its close.
Either way makes it a tough climb with a young team that is playing musical chairs at inexperienced QB and Oline. We may finish stronger than some think this year, being battle tested and bowl elegibility would be HUGE momentum heading into '14.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have never understood how the big boys can look at the money to be made from a playoff, yet stubbornly want to stick to the bowl model....... The lame excuses they have come up with have been very humorous. I understand that the SEC is scared to play a playoff, as their mystique would end the first time they lost a playoff game, but why is everyone else so stuck to bowls, where MOST teams actually lose money???????

For the last 5 years or so... I have not understood it either. Once I started reading articles on a proposed playoff system for college football, I was blown away by the money they said had been offered.

The lobbyists from the Rose and others must be persuasive... or come with secret bank account information.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be interested in knowing where our sos stands right now compared to some of the top 25. Gonna be interesting next year when the sos is supposed to "matter", but I have a sneaky feeling that those big money big tv number programs will still get the nod if its close.
Either way makes it a tough climb with a young team that is playing musical chairs at inexperienced QB and Oline. We may finish stronger than some think this year, being battle tested and bowl elegibility would be HUGE momentum heading into '14.

USA Today | Sports | NCAAF

Looks like Sagarin has our SOS ranked #13.

Of note...SOS for some top 25...

Baylor #172
tOSU #119
UofL #174

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap,,,,

I think he does those weekly....only the first one of the year is done by what the teams you played last year did...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB, are those numbers for the whole season, or just the games so far?

Like DC said, he updates his rankings weekly... and the rankings are through this part of the season.