• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins Misc News & Info

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Immediate Release

August 11, 2017

SAVE THE DATE: REDSKINS RALLY SEASON KICKOFF PRESENTED BY ONE LOUDOUN AND LOUDOUN COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – Join the Washington Redskins on Saturday, Sept. 2 from 4 – 6 p.m. at One Loudoun in Ashburn, Va., for a rally to kick off the 2017 season. Additional details will be announced closer to the event. Admission is free.

WHO: The Washington Redskins with a special guest appearance by Redskins alumnus Santana Moss and performances by Redskins cheerleaders.

WHAT: The Washington Redskins have teamed up with One Loudoun to host a Redskins Rally to kick off the 2017 season. The rally, which will include live entertainment and family-friendly activities, is presented by the Loudoun County Department of Economic Development. ESPN 980 Redskins Radio will also host a live broadcast with Super Bowl XVII champion Rick “Doc” Walker.

WHEN: Saturday, Sept. 2

4 – 6 p.m.

WHERE: One Loudoun
20626 Easthampton Plaza

Ashburn, VA 20147

Following the Kickoff Rally, One Loudoun will host a free, live Summer Concert featuring Go Go Gadjet on the Plaza between 6 – 9 p.m.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roster moves

For Immediate Release

August 13, 2017

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVES

RICHMOND, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster moves:

The Redskins signed the following free agents:

OL Kendall Pace

LB Ron Thompson Jr.

The Redskins waived the following players:

S Tim Scott

WR Kendal Thompson (designated as injured)

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gruden presser

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On his takeaway from training camp:

“It was a good camp. We got a great evaluation on a lot of guys. Now it has to continue on into Ashburn. We’ve got three major preseason games left to finalize our evaluation process and that’s what it’s all about. At the end of the day, our ultimate goal after four preseason games is to establish some kind of identity and have a great evaluation on our players.”

On if missing some offensive players has allowed him to evaluate more people:

“Yeah, it gives other guys great opportunities. You’ve seen Niles Paul make a lot of plays. Derek Carrier stepped up, Vernon Davis in Jordan’s [Jordan Reed’s] absence. With Josh [Doctson] and obviously [Jamison] Crowder out, Ryan Grant’s made a lot of big plays. [Brian] Quick’s got an opportunity. [Matt] Hazel’s done some good things. So, other guys have stepped up and done some good things.”

On how he’ll use CB Fabian Moreau:

“The jury’s still out. You know, he’s still learning. We’ve got to see how he’s picked up the system, but he looks fine. You know, he’s exactly what we thought as far as his height, weight, speed measurables are concerned. He looks the part. He can run. Now it’s just a matter of him adjusting to the scheme and the techniques that we’re teaching.”

On the development of QB Kirk Cousins and WR Terrelle Pryor Sr.’s chemistry this offseason:

“Yeah, they’re still in that process really. It’s not a finished product by any stretch of the imagination. So, they still have a lot of work to do, but they’ve come a long way from when he first got here. Getting to know each other and the type of balls that, you know, Terrelle can handle in the red zone and all that stuff, they’re still working through that. But, I like where they’re going. I like their progress. I like both of them communicating and working well together.”

On TE Jeremy Sprinkle:

“I like Sprinkle a lot, man. He’s got long arms, he’s strong and I think he’s going to be a Y tight end in this league for a very long time. He’s going to get stronger and stronger every year and he’s got very good hands. He’s got deceptive speed, but you really like him as an in-line blocker. In the passing game, he’s got very good hands and he’s very good after the catch. Like I said, I’ve been impressed with Jeremy.”

On the difficulty of finding good in-line tight ends and having Sprinkle available in the draft:

“He was available. We had good grades on him and we just really didn’t have a serious need for a tight end with Vernon [Davis], Niles [Paul], [Derek] Carrier and obviously Jordan [Reed]. But being that he was there and that position is hard to find, I thought it was important to grab one. So we made a good call there and he’s going to be around for a while.”

On if there’s any update on WR Josh Doctson:

“No, no, just a hamstring. He’s going to be about four or five days probably.”

On second-year players that have improved:

“I think they all have, really. They wouldn’t be here if they didn’t. So everybody’s on a steady, gradual improvement rate. So I think they’ve all done a nice job, working well. I think Su’a [Cravens] was on that road but then he got hurt, obviously, which set him back. Doctson is the same way, so those two guys unfortunately got injured, but the other guys have done well.”

On what WR Robert Davis has done well:

“He has shown the ability to play big. He’s a big kid. He can run. Obviously now it’s just a matter of polishing up his routes and figuring out our system. He’s done a nice job. We’ve thrown a lot at him since OTAs for a rookie. He’s done a nice job. He’s really starting to play one position at X but we’re starting to flip flop him around a little bit. He’s done a good job. I like the fact that he’ll go in there. He’s a willing blocker in the running game. He’s strong. But as far as him producing, he had a nice catch on the angle route against Baltimore, had a couple other opportunities. [He was] a little short on some routes here and there. We’ve just got to polish up and tweak some of his stems and all that stuff, but Ike [Hilliard] is doing a nice job with him. I think he’s a guy that is just going to steadily progress and get better and better.”

On if finding an identity is something a team does every year:

“Yeah, it’s something that we develop and keep, and we’re still working towards that – what we’re all about – and trying to preach physicality around here – both sides of the ball, line of scrimmage, really, offensive, defensive line. And that doesn’t really change since I’ve been here. It’s just a matter of making sure they understand the importance of that.”

On progress from RB Rob Kelley:

“I’ve seen a lot of progress from Rob. Confidence, number one, and knowledge of the system. He’s done a nice job, really. I think he only had a couple carries in the game, didn’t get a very good look either carry and he had one catch. But watching him out here, I think he’s got great vision and he’s got [a] very low center of gravity, he’s hard to bring down with the first guy. I haven’t really seen the first guy bring him down very often, which is good. I like where he’s at. He’s another one of those second-year guys that has really improved.”

On Kelley’s improvement as a pass catcher:

“He’s not going to ever be a feature wide receiver but he’s functional out of the backfield. We can throw him check-downs and all that stuff. Probably won’t win on many choice routes, but he does have a role. When we do our drop-back passing game and he gets out and they all panic drop back there, he catches flat routes. He’s got hands that are functional. He’s got good hands.”

On how the team has responded in practice since the first game:

“We had two really good days, I think. I think two of our most physical days up front, both sides of the ball. They were getting after it – pod drills and team run. We ran the ball a lot today, challenged them with their pad level and tried to get movement and all that stuff and they responded, I really think they did. So it’s good to see.”

On the second-year jump for DL Matt Ioannidis:

“Yeah, that’s another one. Matt’s done a great job, really. He’s gotten a lot stronger in the weight room. It’s kind of what I was hoping. Getting him out of Temple, he’s just a big, strong guy. He works hard in the weight room. It’s led by Ziggy Hood. He’s a great example for those guys, those young guys, with his work habits in the weight room. He takes them all under his wing and Matt’s one of those guys that’s just gotten so much stronger. He gets great push in the pocket and he’s playing good against the run, so I’ve been impressed with Matt.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
williams presser

August 13, 2017

Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams

On his impressions of the team at this point:

“You know, I still feel the same way [as] when I came here that this roster is still the best roster that I’ve seen since I’ve been here. And I know some people that [were] here last year are not here, but I do feel like we helped ourselves in a lot of different areas. I think defensive line – even though it might not have showed it like we would like for it to have Thursday – but I still feel pretty good about the D-line. I think the secondary, with Fabian [Moreau] being healthy now and [Kendall] Fuller has got a year up under his belt along with the two guys that are starting, and with D.J. Swearinger coming in here, I certainly think that the secondary is much improved from last year. The offensive line is what it is. I think Terrelle Pryor and when [Josh] Doctson gets healthy – he was having a good offseason – and with Jamison Crowder, the receiving corps, it’s going to be up to our quarterback getting the ball to the guys like he did last year. I think that’s the most important thing.”

On if there are particular areas that have jumped out to him during camp:

“Not really. After watching these guys in the offseason, and with [Defensive Line Coach Jim] Tomsula coming in and watching him, I really believe we’ve got two coaches of the same type of coaches on different sides of the ball. We’ve got [Offensive Line Coach Bill] Callahan and we’ve got Tomsula. Those are the same two guys. It’s all about fundamentals. It’s all about being tough, and it’s about a lot of work. And when you see the one-on-ones, that’s the most exciting part of practice because they get their reps. They go against each other and you can see them getting better each time. When you see Trent Williams, who he is, it’s amazing who he is from an athletic standpoint, but when you see guys like Anthony Lanier, Junior Galette and Preston Smith working against those guys, both guys are getting better. So I think when you look at this team as a whole, in the trenches has gotten a lot better not only because of the players that are here [but] the coaches too. And Jonathan Allen is the guy that he was hyped up to be. When you watch him, as soon as he learns the pro game and using his hands a little better, I think he’s going to be a beast in there. Once he gets his body into you, nine out of 10, he’s going to win.”

On QB Kirk Cousins’ growth on and off the field:

“I think, number one, nobody is more confident than Kirk Cousins. I think even from the fact that he decided to play on the tag, he’s confident in himself. He knows what he’s done the last two years. And the way I look at that, I don’t think he’s going to do no worse this year than what he did the last two years because the offense is what he’s played in for the last two years, I think he’s got a good rapport with the head coach [and] the quarterbacks coach. And Kirk is not a guy that is hard to get along with. The players like him. I think at the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about, it’s about leadership. Everybody knows that Kirk can play this game. He’s proved that he can play it, and I think the key here is taking us to the next level and he understands that the next level is important, not only to the team but also to himself, too.”

On the value of a quarterback being comfortable:

“I think that we can look to the northeast of us and the New England Patriots have had pretty good success. Bill Belichick has become a really good coach with the same quarterback. I think when you look at Kirk being in this system for the last three years and playing well the last two, I think that speaks volume for him and the organization and the coach who feels comfortable calling whatever they want to call with Kirk because they know that he can get it done.”

On his biggest takeaway from camp:

“Well, the biggest takeaway for me is learning to be in this position and being in control of the personnel department. Getting the opportunity to sit down with the head coach and the guys that work in the personnel department to setup workouts and talk about the players and talk about how we have got them slotted on the roster, and who should probably make this team… Where, you know, being in that position is new to me, but at the same time, it’s the same thing that we’ve been doing since I’ve been here. It’s just that I’m in a different role now.”

On the evolution of physicality at training camps and if there is enough physicality to prepare players:

“I think we have got to be fair because the same rules apply to every team in this league. So, we can’t use that as an excuse and I’m certainly not going to compare it to the days when I played without the facemask [laughter]. But, no, the excuse of not being able to do some of the things that we haven’t done, we can’t make that excuse as far as the rules are concerned because every team has to play up under the same rules. We just have got to be cognizant of it and train the guys, ‘Hey, this is what has to happen.’ We don’t get a chance to ‘hit hit’ and practice [tackling]. In a game time, your mindset should be, ‘tackle.’ I watch D.J. Swearinger, who I feel like has brought a lot of swag to this defense. There’s no doubt in my mind you don’t have to tell him that when the game starts that you have got to tackle, that this is tackle football. And I think once he gets out there, you’re going to get a lot of guys that are probably going to follow D.J. and I think that’s what we need and he’s here hopefully to lead us down that path.”

On what the team has gained by being in Richmond compared to its time in Ashburn:

“Well, we’re in the training camp. We can do some things that we weren’t able to do in Ashburn. We can bring everybody together. We can put on shoulder pads. We can do – whether or not it’s thumping or a little tackling… You know, early on in this camp, we did let the younger guys go all out and have a tackle. They didn’t have a chance to do that in Ashburn. So, I think when you get in a situation where you’ve got pads on and you’re together all the time, you’re meeting together, you eat together, it forms a little continuity and I think that’s what camp is all about.”

On the loss of LB Trent Murphy:

"Well, you know, we were going to lose Trent for four games, but Trent was having a pretty good camp, and we know what Trent did last year. Quite naturally, you don’t want to lose anybody, but Trent Murphy was a big part of our outside linebackers. And knowing that you’re not going to have him, now somebody else has to step up. This is a great opportunity for [Junior] Galette, who’s missed the last two years to stay healthy and be that guy. If not we’re going to have to go with Ryan [Anderson] and Preston [Smith] and Ryan Anderson is going to have to step up and be a good player for us and Chris Carter is going to have to fill in somewhere. But I think at the end of the day, we’re still going to be pretty good on the outside if we stay healthy."

On the first preseason game and concerns he wants to address prior to the start of the season:

“Well, I think number one, the starters only played briefly Thursday. I think you can’t tell that until you’ve seen them play a certain amount of time – get a quarter under their belt, get a half under their belt, and then you go assess and see where we really need help. And that’s when we start calling teams and doing things and wondering, ‘Do they have this?’ or what have you. That’s if you have a guy in that position. I think this week is going to help us kind of detail that and where we are, where we would like to be, and what we might need to get there.”

On if he is focused on any certain position group:

“No, not at this point. Like I said, coming to training camp, I think talent-wise, we’ve got talent at every position. We want to see what guys as a group function well together and what we need to do to get it to function that way if they don’t.”

On Colin Kaepernick:

"Well, you know, Colin Kaepernick is not my concern. We’ve got three guys in camp and those are the guys we're going to concentrate on at this time.”

On hypotheticals relating to Kaepernick:

"I'm not thinking hypothetical. I'm going to think the way it is right now. We’ve got three guys and that's what we're going with."

On if he can rely on LB Junior Galette:

“I’m [going to] give him a little credit, too, from this standpoint – how many guys can have two Achilles on different ankles and work as hard as he has to get back to this point? I think he did that. I mean, he can’t control a little tweak of the hamstring. I do believe if we can get him on the field, we’ll see some of the Junior Galette that we are looking for. I’m [going to] give him the benefit of the doubt and say I think we can get something out of him.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gruden presser

August 16, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On injuries:

“Su’a [Cravens] had a knee scope and it went well. I’m not going to guess how long it’s going to be, but they just went in and cleaned it out a little bit. Once the swelling went down, they re-checked it and he felt a little pain, so they just cleaned it up a little bit – the meniscus – and he’ll be fine. Obviously [Trent] Murphy had his ACL/MCL surgery. [Kevin] Bowen had his labrum surgery and then [Josh] Doctson went out and did some individuals today and he’s getting better day to day.”

On his expectations for Doctson’s return:

“My plan is to listen to the trainers and Josh and find out when he can go full-speed. Tomorrow we’re going to try to see how much more he can do and then we’ll make a decision on Saturday whether or not we can put him in or not.”

On the play in which Cravens was injured:

“Third play of the game, he jumped over the pile and landed it on it funny.”

On the depth battle at guard:

“That’s what it is, a battle. Arie [Kouandjio] has been here and done a nice job. He played last year and did some good things when he did play. [Tyler] Catalina we got as a free agent from Georgia and he’s done some good things and obviously [Kyle] Kalis is from Michigan. Catalina’s played a little bit of left guard, right guard and tackle. We’re trying to find out if he’s versatile enough to do that, which is important, and then Kalis has played both guards and obviously so has Arie. Arie’s mixed in a little bit of tackle, so at the end of the day we’re just going to have to let these guys play and make a decision.”

On if he would be comfortable with starting Deshazor Everett at strong safety:

“Yeah, we’ll see. Deshazor did some good things today. He had a better practice today. It’s going to come down to the fact that he’s going to get more and more reps and he’s going to show us if he can handle it or not, which I think he can. He got some great reps and looks last year, carried it over to this year. Obviously he’s been a core special-teamer for us but I think playing safety he’s a lot more comfortable and he’s doing some good things. Will Blackmon’s over there and obviously Montae Nicholson, so we have some other guys that are trying to battle – [Stefan] McClure and some other guys.”

On the importance of having a player like D.J Swearinger at safety:

“Yeah, safety is very, very important and that’s why we went out there and targeted D.J. His experience, both good and bad, I think has made him what he is right now. He’s got great confidence and he’s playing very well. He’s a great communicator. But the big thing is he brings great energy to the defense, which is, at the end of the day, what you want. You want great energy, guys flying to the football, having some fun and that’s what D.J brings.”

On the inside linebackers:

“Obviously Will Compton’s very smart and has been a great leader for us. He’s a great communicator, which you have to have at Mike linebacker. I think Mason Foster can play both positons equally as well – Mike and what we call Mo – and he’s a good communicator. Obviously Zach Brown has a great skill set for playing linebacker. He can go sideline to sideline probably athletically faster than majority of the linebackers we have. So I think the three of them all have the qualities to play, so it’s just a matter of finding the right match, and who that’s going to be will be determined here in the next couple of weeks.”

On what they wanted to see from Everett last year for him to earn more reps:

“He was a corner; he converted to safety and he really wasn’t very comfortable playing safety yet. It’s a major adjustment period. As an offensive guy, I think a DB’s a DB right? ‘It’s a DB, just go back there and play safety.’ But it’s a lot harder than you think – angles, positions, communication, run fits, finishing plays, all that stuff. I think he’s becoming more and more comfortable playing a middle third, playing a half, playing quarters. His run fit responsibilities – when they shift out to empty, when they go unbalanced – I mean there’s a lot of things a safety has to communicate and I think he’s learning more and more and feeling more comfortable.”

On if they knew Everett’s transition would be a process:

“Deshazor’s competing. It wasn’t like the safety spots were set in stone. We have our starters that go out there with the ones, but at the end of the day, everybody’s competing for the first-string job. Deshazor’s no different, Blackmon’s no different, and they’re all competing. Obviously now Montae’s back in the mix. He’s flying around and doing some good things, he’s in the mix. So it will be interesting to see. These next three games are going to be very important to see who that other safety is.”

On the “wakeup call” last week and if he has changed anything about how the team will prepare for Week 1:

“We’re still preparing. We’re still preparing the same way. We’re going to get these guys prepared. I just think when you talk about ‘wakeup call,’ I just think everybody has to come out and understand the other team has an agenda also. We didn’t match the same agenda, and that’s probably my fault. You know, six plays, two three-and-outs for the No. 1 offense wasn’t what we expected, but we expect our offense to come out and play a little bit better, more physical, try to get the running game going a little bit. Two-point-two yards per carry is what I was most disappointed in the whole game. For us to be a physical football team, we have to be able to run the ball better.”

On how DL Phil Taylor Sr. has been able to return to the NFL so effectively:

“I don’t know. I think it all comes down to his body and how he feels. When you have an injured knee like he had and some of the injuries he had, I think that takes a toll on a big, giant man, and he’s a big man. I think his weight is where he likes it, but I think he feels confident in his legs and his strength, where he can go out and do his job successfully. People handle injuries differently. Some people take longer to recover. They recover, but then they’ve got to get their bodies back into playing shape. I think he’s in great shape right now. I think he’s got great confidence in his recovered injuries and he’s in a good spot, mentally and physically.”

On how RB Samaje Perine has improved in protection since the Baltimore game:

“We’ll see. I think out in practice is a little bit different. The thing about playing another team is the Green Bay Packers are going to have a totally different blitz package than the Baltimore Ravens. The Cincinnati Bengals will possess a whole new package the following week. How we adjust, how we plan and how he adjusts to each different protection is going to be how successful he can be as a running back in the NFL. Chris Thompson obviously is as good as anybody, but we’ve got to get another guy to be able to step up and do that. And that’s hard. We change protections at the line of scrimmage like that. You have to block that guy from that guy to that guy to you over there, and they have to adjust – not only adjust to the right person, but adjust and get their body in the right spot and then finish the block.”

On if what he sees in preseason games will help determine the 53-man roster:

“Well, that’s a major part of it, obviously, but we’re also not going to discount what we’ve done in OTAs and training camp. We’re not just going to throw that away and say that doesn’t mean anything. It’s all an evaluation process and they have to understand that these games – playing in these games – is not a punishment, it’s a platform for them to do well. We’re excited to see them take advantage of the reps with the crowd and the fans and the pressure and all that stuff. That’s important.”

On reassuming play-calling duties:

“You guys are making a bigger deal about it than I am. I’m fine with it. I have a call sheet, I’ve got all the plays broken down in certain categories and some of them I call by gut feel, some of them I call based on what we game planned. Some game plans will be more extensive than the ones we have in the preseason, but the big thing is I want to call plays that the quarterbacks are comfortable with and the players are comfortable with and the plays that we’ve repped out here so they got out there and execute and play at a fast, high level. And then it’s up to them to how they execute it. No play is going to be perfect. We’re not going to get somebody wide open every play. The holes aren’t going to be gaping on every play. But it’s a matter of guys making plays, off-schedule perhaps, or running through a tackle or beating man-to-man coverage or what have you. So that’s at the end of the day what I want to see.”

On how much game-planning the team does in the second week of the preseason:

“The big thing is when you talk about game planning in the preseason, I think game one you want to make sure the quarterback is protected, you know what I mean? You’re not going to just go out there and just go out there blind where we have no idea what they’re going to do. We blew some protections, not because we didn’t game plan, just because we blew some protections which were uncharacteristic of certain people. Game two, we’re going to study Green Bay, obviously their defense from an offensive perspective, what they do, what their fronts are, what runs we like, obviously pass protections. We’re going to make sure the quarterbacks are protected and the quarterbacks know how to protect themselves. And then defensively, put our guys in a good position to stop what they do best and let them play.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden presser

August 17, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On WR Maurice Harris:

“He won’t play this week but he’s moving forward with his rehab. He’s active in individual [drills]. Hopefully we’ll get him up in some team work next week, maybe get him ready for Cincinnati.”

On if Harris’ injury was to his knee:

“Yeah, just tendinitis-type stuff.”

On S Deshazor Everett:

“He had a personal issue he had to attend to. He’s OK.”

On who won’t be playing on Saturday:

“Obviously Su’a [Cravens], Junior Galette, Harris and Levern Jacobs won’t play, and obviously the PUP guys.”

On if they will wait until Saturday to determine WR Josh Doctson’s availability:

“Yeah, he looked good today, so we’ll get a look at him during pregame warmup and see where he stands and try to get him out there. We’ll see.”

On LB Preston Smith:

“He’s good. He practiced today and yesterday and he’s fine.”

On TE Jordan Reed’s progress and Gruden’s expectations for his return:

“I have learned that I don’t expect anything from these injured players. That’s not just trying to be funny, it’s just fact. I let the trainers handle that and I let the player handle that. When they’re ready, I get the OK and they practice.”

On if there’s a greater sense of concern for Doctson than Reed:

“No, I think every person’s different – how their bodies are – so we have to take each injury for what they are, treat them and get them out on the field as quick as we can. Josh has been unfortunate with the Achilles and then he was doing a lot of running and doing very good and he just tweaked his hammy, so they’re both totally different. Jordan’s had a couple different lingering issues obviously throughout his career, a couple concussions and now the foot, so it’s just a matter of taking care of them and getting them back on the field.”

On what he’s seen from WR Ryan Grant this training camp and preseason:

“He’s really strong, he’s in great shape, and he’s Mr. Consistent. Everything we ask him to do he does, and he does it right. No matter where he lines up, no matter what we ask him to do – he can come in the core and block the safety, whatever we want him to do, he can run whatever route from whatever positon and he runs at the right depth, perfect angles coming out of them. He’s just ‘Steady Eddie,’ and that’s why I like him. I like consistent, smart players and that’s what Ryan is.”

On if there are enough balls available for Grant:

“I think people may be surprised with how many balls Ryan Grant might catch. Either way, could happen, I don’t know. I can’t foresee the future there, but I would be just fine with Ryan Grant being the target of a lot of balls.”

On RBs Mack Brown and Samaje Perine:

“Mack [Brown], Samaje [Perine] and Matt [Jones] and now Kenny [Hilliard]… Obviously Matt’s done some good things for us. We've seen a body of work with Matt. He's a big, physical guy. And then Mack Brown really started to come on last year at the end of training camp, got a couple of really good preseason games. Against Tampa he had a 100-plus yards, and then he was activated a couple games. I liked what he brought to the team on special teams, then he had a big breakout run against Chicago, which was excellent. He's progressing along also. And then Samaje is new to the system, new to the football team and we have to take a good look at him the last three games.”

On the value of special teams for running backs:

“Any time if you're the number two or three back, you need to play some special teams. You know, Chris Thompson will be out on some returns, but the No. 2 guy if we have three up, somebody's got to play some teams. And that'll be that person – either Samaje or Mack or Matt – whoever t it is.”

On TE Niles Paul:

“Niles has been one of the most impressive guys to me in camp. He's another guy, he's like Ryan Grant in that we can ask him to do anything. He'll play in-the-core Y, we'll put him at fullback, he lines up outside. His speed looks where it was before the injuries. I mean, I think he's had an outstanding training camp so far. He's done so many different things. And that's one of the toughest positions – a tight end, the move tight end. You’ve got to know all the blocking schemes, you’ve got to know all the pass patterns and you’ve got to know a lot of the protections. So he's handled everything effortlessly with great effort, and [has] been very productive. I'm anxious to see Niles play more.”

On if he has decided how long the starters will play against Green Bay:

“I have not. You know, it'll be a feeling out there on Saturday, really. I intend on them playing a little bit more than normal, probably, but we'll see how it goes.”

On what he's hoping to accomplish in the second preseason game:

“Well, we actually want to improve a little bit. You know, I think going three-and-out two series in a row is not what we intended. Defensively we did some good things though. I think we went three-and-out on defense with our starting defense, the first two groups. Josh [Norman] and D.J. [Swearinger] were in there, we went three-and-out – and Ryan [Kerrigan]. I'd like them to continue their trend of making plays and flying around to the football.”

On LB Ryan Anderson:

“He had a stinger and we’re going to let him dress in pregame warmup on Saturday and see where he is. He has total mobility now back, I think he’s fine, but we just want to make sure he has strength back in it.”

On if Mason Foster and Zach Brown will start at linebacker this week:

“Right now, for this game, we’re going to start with Mason and Zach – Mason at Mike and Zach at Mo – and after that we’ll see what happens, see how they perform and go from there.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
roster moves

August 18, 2017

REDSKINS MAKE ROSTER MOVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have made the following roster move:

The Redskins waived the following player from their Reserve/Injured list with an injury settlement:

WR Kendal Thompson

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not kind of and this goes along with what I said a couple of times ... Scot was part of the mess up. I remember him saying he wanted to keep Kirk but he did not want to hurt the salary cap for other players. It was NOT just Bruce.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scott McCloughan seems like a straight up guy, who has a very realistic perspective on the type of QB's both Kirk and Jimmy are with respects to NOT being "THAT" Guy, but, instead what I've always said both were. Whether anyone wants to believe it or not people can be categorized in similar types, as we often do in making comparisons with athletes and specifically to this discussion QB's.

Guys with similar attributes like Kirk, A.J. and Jimmy will all give you very, very, similar results just as long as the supporting cast around them is fairly decent/strong.

You don't want to pay any of these guys what's considered "elite" money as I believed the thing Scott was attempting to avoid when making with his initial offer to Kirk back in 2015. After Bruce nixed that proposed deal, I'm sure that Scott knew (as I did) that missing that opportunity to properly value Kirk was going to result in over-valuing him because of the CBA. This is the kind of shit that happens when there's someone like Bruce instead of someone like Scott in charge. Somebody will continue to pay Kirk Cousins "Elite" money because that unfortunately, is where we are, when it could have easily been avoided.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Sty, Scot fessed up to being part of the mistake and I distinctly remember him saying what I detailed. Scot helped the mess up and maybe it is one of the reasons he is gone now. If you are saying he was just a mouth piece for Allen that needs to be detailed and not just assumed.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
truth be told i wouldnt doubt too much that grap is about the same as KC . but again the reason no one wants/wanted to pay KC is because of experience (back in 15 ) but are willing to do so with grap who has less. same with AJ , that cat hasnt beat out the avg dalton and yet he is in the same class as KC ? not buying and same argument applies . you wouldnt pay KC in 15 because of experience but you are willing to do that with AJ who has less .

we had a chance to sign KC cheaply twice but allen killed it . the overpay is on him

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I have been saying Scot helped kill it also.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gruden presser 1/2

August 23, 2017

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On TE Jordan Reed:

“He did good. He did everything today. We’re easing him into the lineup. He did some good things in the passing game, we put him in the running game a little bit – did good. He looks well.”

On if any other injured players returned:

“Junior Galette came back. That was the only other one.”

On the run game:

“You know, I’ve said this before, when the run game doesn’t work, it’s not one guy. Sometimes it’s tight end, sometimes it’s a tackle, sometimes it’s a back, sometimes it’s the center. So, we’ve just got to get everybody on the same page. You’ve got to be in unison. All six, seven, eight, nine, 10 guys have got to be in unison and we just haven’t been right when the ones are in there. Rob Kelley hasn’t gotten many good looks. Other guys came in there, we got [Samaje] Perine some good looks and he had some good hits. We’ve just got to keep at it. It’s all about practice and working at it and getting better.”

On if there’s a chance Reed might play Sunday:

“Yeah.”

On how important it would be for Reed to play again before Week 1:

“Well, it’s important. It’s not critical, but it’s important. I’d like to get him back out there and get in the running game a little bit, get involved and obviously catch a couple passes. But, if he’s not feeling up to it at that time on Sunday afternoon, then so be it. I think Jordan’s the type of guy that has missed time before and come back and not missed a beat. He’s just one of those freakish guys that has the luxury of doing that. Not many other people can do that. Still, you’d still like a player to get some involvement in a game before you play a real one.”

On C Chase Roullier:

“He took [reps with the] ones today and did a good job. Ronald Patrick’s getting more work also, so we have two centers. Probably would like to get another one eventually depending on how long Spencer [Long] is going to be out, but we’re hopeful that he’ll return Week 1. But, we’ll see.”

On how he would describe what LB Junior Galette was able to do at practice today:

“I would say he went, he did some team exercises. He did all the individuals. He did some team stuff, not a lot, but he just wanted to get in there and get his feet wet and see how he felt. He felt pretty good.”

On his confidence when Reed is on the field:

“Yeah, he is a critical part of our offense. We know that, so it is a comfort level when he’s in there.

There’s a lot of things that he can do that not many people can do at the tight end position. It’s all on tape. So, it’s good to have him back, but guys have done very well in his absence out here at practice – Niles Paul and Vernon [Davis]. Derek Carrier’s done a nice job. Manessah [Garner] has done a nice job. E.J Bibbs has done some good things, so they’ve covered the slack for him but Jordan’s a special guy.”

On if RB Samaje Perine’s success can be attributed to the looks he got or what he created for himself:

“A little bit of both, it’s a combination of both. He ran through some tackles. He got hit one time behind the line and still managed to get six or seven yards and that’s what it’s all about. Our backs understand that we’re not going to get them all blocked; it’s your responsibility to run through a tackle or two. Rob on the other hand has gotten bamboozled by two or three guys sometimes, so we’ve just got to do a better job. Baltimore has a really, really good strong front. Early in the game we only got him two touches in that game, and then obviously last week against Green Bay we tried a couple different types of runs and didn’t get them blocked – targeted – correctly and didn’t have a lot of good running lanes. We’re going to stick with it though. I feel good about our run plan each week and this week poses a different threat. They’re a 4-3 team with Geno Atkins and Vontaze Burfict, Pat Sims, a very good defensive front, and [Carlos] Dunlap and Michael Johnson so it will be another good test for us.”

On if it is “silly” for people to get excited about Perine after last week:

“No, I mean you guys can get excited or down or whatever you guys want to do [laughter]. I mean, obviously it’s doom and gloom if we lose and we’re going to go undefeated if we win. So I think we’re all very excited about the prospect of him being a running back here. But I’m still excited about Rob [Kelley]. He hasn’t had many good looks. Perine and Chris Thompson have done some good things – Mack Brown. Matt Jones. So, we’ll just keep rotating them through there and see who the best ones are.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gruden presser 2/2

On C Spencer Long:

“You know what, he has been hobbling a little bit. It has been bothering him. He’s been trying to fight through it. He does not like to miss a rep. He’s a very competitive guy and unfortunately you could see it starting to bother him. After the game, he tried to fight through the whole first half against Green Bay and he just said he couldn’t really go. We wanted to get it checked out and found out he had some meniscus issues and got it fixed up.”

On DL Terrell McClain’s role:

“I think he’s a major part of our rotation, really. I think all those defensive lineman – [Stacy] McGee, McClain, [Jonathan] Allen, [Matt] Ioannidis, Ziggy Hood – they all can rotate in there. [Anthony] Lanier II, A.J. Francis, [Joey] Mbu’s done some good things, so we’ve just got to figure out the right five or six guys that are going to be ready for Philadelphia. We’re moving them all along the defensive line. I think they can all play multiple spots. Love what Terrell’s doing – he’s active. He’s coming from a different style of defense, more of a gap-penetrating defense in Dallas. Now, he’s trying to play different styles here and Coach [Jim] Tomsula is doing a good job working with him. I think he’s got great energy, plays with good pad level, and he’s going to be a good player for us.”

On LB Ryan Anderson:

“He’s just got a stinger. He’s been limited. He doesn’t have full strength yet.”

On how he evaluates the preseason games when the win/loss result doesn’t matter as much:

“I think we have prepared these guys to play a game, it’s just you don’t get the entire week of practice like you would normally. Usually we only do one day or two days in getting ready for a team and less carded periods. That’s still no excuse. We should perform better than we have in the first two games, offensively especially. We still are very critical about our scheme, about the techniques we’re using and about the run concepts we’re calling. We’ve just got to get better at it and continue to coach them. We’ve done some good things out here, but it has to transform and carry over to the games and it hasn’t done that yet. But, that doesn’t mean we have to give up on it. It’s tempting when you get Jordan Reed back out there and [Jamison] Crowder and [Josh] Doctson and [Terrelle] Pryor and all those guys, and obviously Chris Thompson because we’ve got a lot of weapons to throw the ball, but in order for us to be effective we have to be balanced in my opinion and we’ve got to get the run game going.”

On the performance of LBs Mason Foster and Zach Brown last week:

“They did good. They did good. I feel really good about our linebacking corps. I think [Martrell] Spaight comes in there and does a good job. Obviously Will Compton is a great leader, a great communicator, does some great things. Josh Harvey-Clemons has done some good things at middle linebacker. Honestly, any pairing there I feel pretty good about right now. [Nico] Marley obviously has been running around like a bat out of hell, so those guys are playing well. Kirk Olivadotti has done a nice job coaching them up and I like the combinations we’re going with right now. Now we just have to see how they play against Cincinnati. It’ll be a great attack with Joe Mixon and obviously Jeremy Hill and Tyler Eifert and A.J. [Green] and [John] Ross and all those guys. It’ll be a great test for our defense to see how they communicate with all the formations and all the different looks we’re going to get.”

On the plan for WR Josh Doctson:

“We’ll see. I think Josh was just coming back from his hamstring, we weren’t sure how much he was going to play. We eased him back in the lineup a little bit and made a couple catches there. We’ll wait and see. Again, it’s kind of like middle linebacker. Whoever is out there, I feel good about. They can win. [Jamison] Crowder, if we line up in two tight ends and two receivers, it could be Crowder, it could be Doctson, it could be Crowder, it could be [Terrelle] Pryor, it could be [Ryan] Grant. All those guys – [Maurice] Harris is doing well, [Brian] Quick is doing well. We just have to… When it comes right down to it, we’ll narrow it down and play the guys that we want.”

On the pros and cons of playing Galette as compared to Reed:

“The same. I think, Junior, I would like to get him some action before he plays because he hasn’t played in a couple years. Jordan has been playing. So, I would like to get him out there, but I also don’t want to jeopardize his hamstring and have him re-injure it. There is a fine line there. We will have to wait and see how he does.”

On WR Brian Quick:

“Brian Quick has been impressive. He is a big, physical guy. When he gets going, he has got some great long speed and he is a physical guy. I have been impressed with Brian. So, you just add another one to the mix, keep those guys fresh and rotated. I am happy about that.”

On what pleased him most about Perine last week:

“I think the way he bounced back, really. He struggled. He had the fumble and he had a dropped pass. He didn’t do too well in the first game. He didn’t have great opportunities, and when he did, nothing really happened. So, to see him bounce back and compete was most impressive.”

On his coaching style and trying to get into the defense’s heads in individual drills today:

“Well, the defense is doing well, so we had to challenge them a little bit. We had to challenge our offense. When the offense did well, I had to challenge the defense. It just depends on the day, the moment, the mood.”

On if it has gotten “more heated” for him:

“The big thing is you always want them to compete at their highest level. If somebody is doing well or if somebody is not, you have to challenge them. It’s all about competition, really. That’s what it is all about. I want to see their best on every single rep.”

On the physicality of the game against Cincinnati last season and if he addressed it with his team:

“You know what? I haven’t even brought up the London game yet. I think that is long forgotten. I know all those guys in Cincinnati. There is nothing dirty about that team. I know that they are a good football team, very competitive. Marvin [Lewis] coaches them well. Paul Guenther is a great defensive coordinator. [Ken] Zampese is a good offensive coordinator. They have good weapons on both sides of the ball. All we are worried about is doing what we do and controlling what we can control and that’s it.”