• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think alot of the doubt has to do with the fact that this ISNT the guy alot of people wanted to be here with. Its kind of like old school republicans who never really wanted to give Obama a chance. They never wanted him to be the Pres, so they constantly looked for reasons to say... see.. him getting the job was a mistake. If Kirk cant bring world piece and a Lombardi, some will constantly point out any mistake as the reason we never should have made him the starter. And the funny part is, there will be those that even if we fuck around and win a Lombardi this year with Kirk being League and Super Bowl MVP.... the reply would be, oh he aint shit... any one could have done it with the amount of talent we put around Kirk.

that is such bullshit. You are still on this? The owners and fan base have moved on from RG3. Please accept it.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is such bullshit. You are still on this? The owners and fan base have moved on from RG3. Please accept it.

Well the Owner and (some parts) the Fan Base certainly havent shown that they want Kirk to be the guy.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Owner and (some parts) the Fan Base certainly havent shown that they want Kirk to be the guy.

They want KC to be the guy but for reasons that I mentioned there is no need to sign him to a LTD right now. The question is does KC want to be the guy? Does he want to stay here? Does he want to hit FA? Is he going to collapse late in the season?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They want KC to be the guy but for reasons that I mentioned there is no need to sign him to a LTD right now. The question is does KC want to be the guy? Does he want to stay here? Does he want to hit FA? Is he going to collapse late in the season?

Thats the thing dude, if you really think some one is going to be the guy, you arent sitting back going... but what if he fails. Because if you think he is the guy, failure is the furthest thing from your mind, not the first reason you look for to hesitate.

IF you need 100% assurance that he is in fact, the man before committing to him, then obviously you dont really think he is the man and you are just hoping for a better option.

If thats the case, they need to accept it, come out and say we arent going to sign him long term and move on.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and there are about $20M reasons why its smarter to sign him long term right now. Possibly more.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the thing dude, if you really think some one is going to be the guy, you arent sitting back going... but what if he fails. Because if you think he is the guy, failure is the furthest thing from your mind, not the first reason you look for to hesitate.

IF you need 100% assurance that he is in fact, the man before committing to him, then obviously you dont really think he is the man and you are just hoping for a better option.

If thats the case, they need to accept it, come out and say we arent going to sign him long term and move on.

They don't have to accept anything b/c they are at no risk of losing him this year or the future. So what you just said is bullshit. They are protecting the teams interests. IF he fails they don't want all the teams resources in one basket. The team has more options. If he proves to be the guy then we pay him. Its not that hard.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't have to accept anything b/c they are at no risk of losing him this year or the future. So what you just said is bullshit. They are protecting the teams interests.

This year, he is under contract. Next year, there are no guarantees. Even if they tag him, he has the option of not signing the tender and forcing his way out. So ease up off the Bruce Allen Koolaid hoss.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year, he is under contract. Next year, there are no guarantees. Even if they tag him, he has the option of not signing the tender and forcing his way out. So ease up off the Bruce Allen Koolaid hoss.

But if you think he is the QB you think he is Danny or Allen would never let him leave the building without a deal. we have three options that we can deploy next year. I love how you guys think KC is the greatest QB in the world.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tell you the truth im more excited on the way the team is building around KC than KC itself.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you think he is the QB you think he is Danny or Allen would never let him leave the building without a deal. we have three options that we can deploy next year. I love how you guys think KC is the greatest QB in the world.

Again dude, thats assuming he wants to stay at that point. And i know you think, well if he leaves it just shows he is a greedy little prick. But at some point you do get tired of people doubting you and you want out based on principle. If the only way for you to get a raise at your job was to go to your boss every year and say, hey I got an offer from another company.. and he gave you the raise... but in the mean time he is constantly reminding you that he could replace you with some kid out of college at a fraction of what you cost. You dont think at some point you are going to get tired of the bullshit and just take the other offer??

If you are really a valued member of the team, the boss should not keep offering you contractor pay and saying I need to see more. Last year, I understood although I thought they were stupid to not sign him long term. This year, its being penny wise and pound foolish. At some point Kirk is going to say, you know what, Im done proving myself for a team that only wants me if Im willing to work for less than I could get elsewhere.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again dude, thats assuming he wants to stay at that point. And i know you think, well if he leaves it just shows he is a greedy little prick. But at some point you do get tired of people doubting you and you want out based on principle. If the only way for you to get a raise at your job was to go to your boss every year and say, hey I got an offer from another company.. and he gave you the raise... but in the mean time he is constantly reminding you that he could replace you with some kid out of college at a fraction of what you cost. You dont think at some point you are going to get tired of the bullshit and just take the other offer??

If you are really a valued member of the team, the boss should not keep offering you contractor pay and saying I need to see more. Last year, I understood although I thought they were stupid to not sign him long term. This year, its being penny wise and pound foolish. At some point Kirk is going to say, you know what, Im done proving myself for a team that only wants me if Im willing to work for less than I could get elsewhere.

I don't buy it. If KC wins this year he will be back. You looking way to into this. If he wins here and wants to become a FA to get more money then yes you have to say he is just chasing the dollar. If he wins this year Danny will give him the offer he wants. If he says no and take the same offer from another team then I say good riddance

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy it. If KC wins this year he will be back. You looking way to into this. If he wins here and wants to become a FA to get more money then yes you have to say he is just chasing the dollar. If he wins this year Danny will give him the offer he wants. If he says no and take the same offer from another team then I say good riddance

You been willing to say good riddance for the last 4 months though.. so whats your point?? Again you think its principles for the team, but all about the money where the player is concerned. Double standard much??

Also I love how you say.. well if he wins he will get paid. Never addressing, what if he has another good year but the defense continues to suck. Should he again be considered not good enough because the team didnt make the playoffs??

Why do I bother, I know your line of thinking, if the team does well its because we put so much talent around Kirk. If the team falters, its all Kirks fault.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just because there isnt a "public " counter offer " doesnt mean anything

1) it could have been private
2) the redskins offer was laughable which as reported in the press is just that

but since you arent capable of putting a few things together i will help you

negotiations will start at the tag number for this year and next year , that is about 58 mil guaranteed

So as I said (and you just said)... pretty much the highest paid player in the game...

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points and putting the last nail in this debate about should we pay or not pay KC.

Heh. Yeah, I thought it was a pretty decent bottom line as well. I doubt many will see it that way though.

This is something I mentioned here before the draft. Build on his wins with winning records. He has to start beating teams with winning records. Everybody here should see this in KC record against teams with over .500.

If we can have some kind of improvement on the def side, if KC keeps improving his win/lost records and acourse stop making bone headed plays in big games then I'm all for having KC. But like I said sometime ago. KC has to prove it to me. I am not talking about his number of TD's, best QB the 20 yrs and all the other stuff etc. I am talking about our SKINS winning and advancing in the playoffs. Most of the teams in the playoffs have winning records well over .500.

This^^^^^^is what I'm talkin bout as well. The 4917 passing yards setting a team record he just set the year before. The 70% comp% over two years, the 400+ yd games.............all of it is window dressing. It means nothing if the Skins aren't making forward progress to the goal. That is becoming a team that can legitimately contend for a Super Bowl title on a habitual, year to year basis. Going from a 4-12/5-11 team that was boring as shit on offense and never made the playoffs. To a 8-8/9-7/10-6 team with a high flying, exciting offense that might or can make the playoffs, but their chances of advancement are slim n none. Holds NO interest to me at all.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as I said (and you just said)... pretty much the highest paid player in the game...

Again why does this matter so damn much?? Aside from the fact that it would go against your principles to pay Kirk as much as the "Elites"

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no and if it is then in a few years it will be middle of the pack so why worry about a number that will be obsolete ?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
like he did in 2015 ? oh wait he had 4 straight wins to get us in

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah show me in any post that i have stated this anyone i dare you

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day, those of us who feel the team is better off with Cousins, dont care about the contract numbers. Because the cap always gets worked out.

Those who want something other than Kirk, dont care what it is and use the contract as the primary reason to go in a different direction... unless Kirk becomes elite this year that is, then he might be ok.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how people are assuming that the only possible outcomes are

1. Kirk improves and the Skins sign him long term because they control his rights

2. Kirk fails and the Skins easily get one of these five elite QBs coming out in the draft.

What of options 3-7

Kirk Improves, which for all intents puts him in the elite realm. But decides he doesnt want to be here for what ever reason. The Skins tag him again and he plays out the 2018 season then hits FA at which point the Skins get outbid if he even gives them a shot.

Kirk stays about where he is, the team finishes 8-8 because the defense still needs another season to come together. The Skins then have to decide is Kirk good enough, or do they dip into the draft.

Kirk regresses, but the QB class that was supposed to have 10 elite QBs turns out to have 3 QBs worthy of a first round draft pick. It costs the Skins 3 firsts and a second to trade up to take a guy who has a 75% chance of failing as we start him because you cant really give up that much and have him ride the bench behind Colt McCoy.

I agree with that. The first two games are against Philly and the Rams. Very winnable games and KC should have some great numbers. If Kc gets outplayed by Wentz and Goff then questions are going to be mounting. The next two games are against the Raiders and KC. If he shows well in those two games then I think Synder and Co will be 100% on board.

A 0-4 or 1-3 start is just unacceptable in my mind. Anything better than 2-2 would be fantastic. Point being KC has a shot to put all doubters (not to say I am one) away in the first month of the season. If we somehow go 4-0 and Kc dominated then the whole NFL will be talking about us as potential division winner and a playoff team.

The worst case scenario is that if KC signs his LTD before the 7/15 deadline and becomes the highest paid Qb in the NFL, then when the season starts goes 0-4 and gets outplayed by second year QB's and Carr plus Smith. That would be a media shit storm. I pray this doesn't happen.

My prediction is that KC plays on the tag this year. I don't see a LTD getting done. Then the season will play out and we will be addressing this next year. Good or bad.

Yeah, an 0-4/1-3 start would be a bitch, but might not be Kirk's or the offense's fault. Its possible KC leads a hellified offense in the first 4 games, but due to no fault of his own. The Skins are 1-3. That doesn't mean the season is over or Kirk's not the one.

Its almost impossible to say if the Skins lose this game or win that game it means whatever.....Especially after only 4 weeks into the season. I suspect the NFC East is gonna be a dog-fight as on paper everyone improved I believe.