• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds Mount Rushmore

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inspired by a post on another thread, the question is, if you were to carve out 4 heads on Reds Mount Rushmore, who would they be?

I don't know if I have any "rules" on it, so there aren't any.

I think Sparky would be one.
Rose, I reckon.
Who else?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose
Bench
Robinson
And I'm going to have to think awhile I on the 4th one, because there are a lot of great players with similar stats.

I guess you could put sparky in there just to safe myself from doing all that thinking, but hell it's snowing and cold out so I don't have anything else to do.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of historical significance I'd say:
Harry Wright
August Hermann
Powell Crosley
Bob Howsam

If it's greatest players:
Pete Rose
Frank Robinson
Joe Morgan
Johnny Bench

Most beloved by fans:
Fred Hutchinson
Joe Nuxhall
Pete Rose
Ted Kluszewski

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Barry Larkin.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Franchise Four voted by fans for the 2015 All Star game at GABP had Rose, Bench, Morgan, and Larkin.

IMO,
Barry Larkin would be in the 5 or 6 conversation.

Frank Robinson is the greatest Reds player that fans don't identify with. There's a the misguided thought that Frank had better years elsewhere. I think that is attributed to his triple crown in 1966 and a couple WS rings in Baltimore. From a statistical standpoint Frank Robinson had 8 of his best 9 seasons in Cincinnati. The Reds didn't win a WS while Frank was here and that may diminish his greatness in some minds.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go with Nuxhall, Rose, Bench and Sparky.

Nux just IS Cincy ... mediocre pitcher who never wavered in his optimism.
Rose just IS determined play and, to a great degree, representative of human frailty.
Bench just IS the most talented of his craft. I think you start with Bench and put everyone else in 2nd place.
Sparky just IS success. Even after he left the Reds, he turned the Tigers into a championship team.

I admit being short-sighted. Powell Crosley would be a good choice. We don't usually think of owners but Crosley added lights and radio. No small achievements.

The list of all-time players would be pretty diverse.

Frank Robinson is the team's "civil rights" icon because he was so good that people admired his play amid confusion over whether that was OK to root for a man of color. I don't know if that identifies him as a franchise icon or whether it defines us as a fan base. Without much socio-wool gathering on that, Robby was one of the best hitters ever.

The problem is that the people who remember Robinson tend to be too young to remember his early seasons when he was as good as Aaron, Mays and maybe anybody Brooklyn thought was so hot.

Harry Wright -- well, that's one I'd never have thought of.

I don't think the monument could include Klu. His shoulders are too wide.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if the monument included Ernie Lombardi. It would have been a engineering miracle to carve out that Schnozz.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine if the monument included Ernie Lombardi. It would have been a engineering miracle to carve out that Schnozz.
They'd still be working on it!

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Morgan
Pete Rose
Johnny Bench
Frank Robinson

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about Mt. Rushmore- Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln are obvious... but why TR ? The only landmark decisions/credits he had was getting elected twice taking a break in the middle, and the National Parks. POPULARITY. That's why.

#1 has to be Pete Rose like it or not, is not only the MLB hit king, he's the most popular home town Red of all time.

#2-Powell Crosby was George Washington of Reds baseball. Has to be there. Makes Harry Wright look like...
Millard Filmore.

#3-Johnny Bench-gets my vote, but better hurry with the statue, because there are voting hall members that can't shave yet wondering why a guy that hit less than 400 HR is a big deal in the first place. Best all-around C of all time IMO.

The last pick is worth arguing.

Frank Robinson is a HOF, but most of what made him special happened after he left the Reds- first MVP in both leagues, first Black manager, then the HOF benchmarks- HR, RBI, WS awards, etc. He might get my vote more for notoriety outside the Nati.

Joe Morgan- may have been the best all around MLB PLAYER of his time, let alone 2b, for about 3 years of his career, but the rest is lesser vintage wine, and a few just grape juice years. He did also steal bases at wil, but his truly special years were fewer than a 1 term president.

Sparky Anderson- gets a lot of BRM credit, and was a lovable guy as manager, but many wonder why he only won 2 World Series with those Reds teams.

Barry Larkin- HOF, career Reds player, an MVP, and "only" won 1 less Big WS Trophy as a Red than anyone else here.
Oddly, rarely considered the best player on his (good) teams. Maybe should that consider before you marble him.

Joey flipping Votto. Compare Robinson's Reds stats to this guy before you howl. I don't remember Robinson as a glove, either.

Curt Flood. Really...Changed the game forever. I could partially blame the $300M contract, $2B ball park,$5 hot dog and $10 beer on this guy.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inevitably I think Votto will be the centerpiece for discussions about the team's best ever mainly because unless something changes, he will have done what only Bench and Larkin did in this conversation -- play his career with 1 team. Almost nobody else in team history can say that, if we discuss players with 1,500 at-bats. Even going back to the 20s, there are a couple of notables who did that ... but the list is short.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Powell CROSLEY.. spell check hosed me above.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Inevitably I think Votto will be the centerpiece for discussions about the team's best ever mainly because unless something changes, he will have done what only Bench and Larkin did in this conversation -- play his career with 1 team. Almost nobody else in team history can say that, if we discuss players with 1,500 at-bats. Even going back to the 20s, there are a couple of notables who did that ... but the list is short.

Sorry but this is extremely disrespectful to a bunch of hall of famers. I grew up a Reds fan and will be until I die. I saw truly great ballplayers and to mention a good player like Votto in the conversation is blasphemous. This one is as simple as it gets, it's Rose, Bench, Morgan and Robinson. If we want to discuss other players at all Tony Perez has to make the list.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but this is extremely disrespectful to a bunch of hall of famers. I grew up a Reds fan and will be until I die. I saw truly great ballplayers and to mention a good player like Votto in the conversation is blasphemous. This one is as simple as it gets, it's Rose, Bench, Morgan and Robinson. If we want to discuss other players at all Tony Perez has to make the list.
I concur if your Reds Rushmore includes only players and excludes people who are important to the franchise.
So there's a couple of conversations going on there. At the outset, there were no rules. I suppose there ought to be some, such as -- the guy who burned down the ballpark in 1910 or whenever might not be a worthy candidate, unless burning down the ballpark was the only way to get a good one.
In the history of the team, Rose-Bench-Morgan-Robinson are easily the best players ever. I love Perez because of his game. Sadly there are some guys from waydafugback who we never saw. Bucky Walters, guys like that. Different eras, different games. But Votto is pushing some historical numbers. If the team was better, he'd get more applause. When he's done playing, No. 19 is going on the facade at the ballpark.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too early, but I agree Votto will probably be the best overall hitter in modern Reds history before it's all over. Hope so, because he's going to make by far, the most money as a Red. He won't have as many hits as Rose, but may have a higher lifetime BA. He probably won't hit as many career HR as Robinson, but should hit the most HR as a RED. He may already have drawn the most walks, but should before he's done, if he hasn't already. He has already won 1 MVP, could possibly win another (he was close last year) but IMO, is more likely to win a batting title. If so, he makes the VERY short list of Reds that won both. He also would be my bet for the best Red that played in the most losing Reds games (if current trend continues) in a career.