• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox Winter Meetings Rumor Mill

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox are supposedly in deep discussions with the Mariners involving Miley. No word on what the Sox would be getting (Carson Smith?), but the M's need a starter after losing Iwakuma to the Dodgers. I don't want a prospect in return. We need a solid major league player, and the Sox are looking for more bullpen help.

Miley eats innings and pitched reasonably well last season. A move to Seattle should help his overall numbers.

Teams also calling on Buchholz and Kelly. I would hold onto both. Buchholz is a relative bargain at $13mm even if he only makes 20-25 starts. We also hold a $13.5mm 2017 option. He is good when he is on the mound.

We still control Kelly for 3 more years, and that avg. fastball of 96 could play up to 98 if he is moved to the bullpen. At worst, he is a serviceable 6th starter/swingman.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checked back on MLB TradeRumors, and Miley has been traded to the Mariners. No word on the return just yet.

Sox were a bit lefty heavy in the rotation with Price, Ed-Rod, and Miley, and with Owens and Johnson lurking in the minors. They traded from depth, but let's see what they got. I hope it was Smith.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox also send Jonathan Aro to Seattle and the Sox get Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.

This is a good move for the Sox. Elias is just as good as Miley, but without the longer track record. Smith is an up-and-coming star reliever. He K'd 92 in 70 innings and closed for part of the season last year for Seattle.

Nice bullpen shaping up with Kimbrel, Uehara, Smith, Tazawa, Barnes, Layne, and Ross. Wish we had a dominant lefty out there, though. If Kelly doesn't make the rotation, add another power arm to the bullpen from the right side.

Smith is also long-term insurance if we don't re-sign either or both of Koji or Tazawa after the season.

I could see Elias moving to another team this week in a package with another player for a more proven starter.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sox control both Smith and Elias for 5 more seasons, while they had Miley for 3 more if his 2018 option was picked up. Miley (29) is also 2 years older than Elias and 3 more than Smith.