• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

red shirting

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brey has always said he has to "dumb down" certain comments because some individuals have a hard time understanding certain concepts. My guess is that this is one of those instances. Calling it a "redshirt" allows people who don't understand the process to get the gist of what he is saying. Kind of like watching a Nobel prize winner in physics explaining his work to a high school physics class. You use terms they understand.

Brian Kelly-" It's no secret that redshirting football players as freshmen, especially linemen whose bodies need to get bigger and stronger, is crucial to building a top-10 program"

Hmmm." the man who's about to bring Notre Dame back to big-boy football doesn't do the self-righteousness and phony pretentiousness that's been as common on this campus "
You can drink the coolaide and call it what ever you want but it's still coolaide.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Kelly-" It's no secret that redshirting football players as freshmen, especially linemen whose bodies need to get bigger and stronger, is crucial to building a top-10 program"

Hmmm." the man who's about to bring Notre Dame back to big-boy football doesn't do the self-righteousness and phony pretentiousness that's been as common on this campus "
You can drink the coolaide and call it what ever you want but it's still coolaide.

You're assuming Kelly is talking about ND?

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think red shirting is a bad thing. The OP asked about red shirting, and I told him what I knew about it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, I'm sure he was talking about some other program.-
"But at Notre Dame, the practice of holding players out their first year on campus is so controversial the word dare not be spoken — that is, until Kelly started to talk about senior Taylor Dever, whose emergence last year allowed the Irish to redshirt a promising freshman named Christian Lombard."

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just so we are all clear--"When do you make decisions on a player being a red-shirt?

Brian Kelly- “I would not put a kid in a position unless he was going to impact the outcome of a football game. For example, let’s take Tommy Rees. He doesn’t play and Dayne has it all locked up. We lose Dayne the last game of the season, and we have to beat USC. Regardless of what the circumstances are, Tommy Rees has to get in there and play. It would have to be a scenario like that. I’m not going to put a kid on a kick team late in the year and use up his red-shirt opportunity or possibility. From my standpoint, we would monitor that really closely. When we go to our 48-hour meeting, some people are untouchable. In other words, I will let our coaches know they are traveling but they don’t go in the game unless they go in through me. So in the hurry to get a special team player on there, you throw a kid out there for one play and then he loses his red-shirt. That’s got to run through me.”

Sounds like Brian doesn't need to dumb down anything. He knows whats up

http://www.irishsportsdaily.com/ind...ticle&id=3110:brian-kelly-transcript&Itemid=4

Last edited by a moderator:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I’m not going to put a kid on a kick team late in the year and use up his red-shirt opportunity or possibility."

But I'm not Brian Kelly ... I'm Pete Carroll and I'll coach a guy that takes an illegal home for his mom and rides around campus in a tricked-out SUV ... and I'll not care whether or not that cheating kid has to give back his Heisman Trophy, b/c I, as Pete Carroll, really dont give a damn, cuz I'm outta here when the heat comes on and to hell with having to forfeit Natl Championchump Games ... I DONT CARE ... Seattle is paying me better!

USC = University of Soiled Championchumps!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I’m not going to put a kid on a kick team late in the year and use up his red-shirt opportunity or possibility."

But I'm not Brian Kelly ... I'm Pete Carroll and I'll coach a guy that takes an illegal home for his mom and rides around campus in a tricked-out SUV ... and I'll not care whether or not that cheating kid has to give back his Heisman Trophy, b/c I, as Pete Carroll, really dont give a damn, cuz I'm outta here when the heat comes on and to hell with having to forfeit Natl Championchump Games ... I DONT CARE ... Seattle is paying me better!

USC = University of Soiled Championchumps!

Wow. lol. Just say oops I guess Charlie and Brey and BK acknowledge ND red shirts and say thank socal for pointing it out. Oh ,and "illegal home?( do you even know what illegal means?)" "tricked out SUV?( hint he didn't have an SUV and the car he had was tricked out when he got to the NFL)". How about getting your facts straight and while you're reading up go see how many "cheating kids" Lou H. had. Even not counting the 4-5 who claimed a relationship with the booster so they got away with it there"s still seven.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think red shirting is a bad thing. The OP asked about red shirting, and I told him what I knew about it.

I just want to point out they still don't technically RS players.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Bush = cheater

Pete Carroll = cheater that left LA just in the nick of time.

Them are the facts!!!! Straight and to the point!!! God only knows how many others ...

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to point out they still don't technically RS players.

Brey told a recruit he would be redshirted because the next year was better for him playing time wise. Charlie said depending on where the players fell the depth chart would he consider not redshirting players. Brian Kelly pointed out that unless certain players (not all mind you just certain players) were critical to a victory or season would he burn a redshirt year.
No where do these coaches say that academics has anything to do with the decision to red shirt a player or burn a redshirt. Just because you don't like to use the word idoesn't mean it doesn't happen at Notre dame. What you have a a requirment at the end and ND decides whether to use that last year. The fact that he was redshirted that first year gives the opportunity. Heck Golson was redshirted when having academic problems so it's hilarious that you still cling to the notion that anything but playing time, playbook knowledge, physical maturity are the reasons a player is not played that first year.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie Bush = cheater

Pete Carroll = cheater that left LA just in the nick of time.

Them are the facts!!!! Straight and to the point!!! God only knows how many others ...

The seven players who took money- gifts- trips = cheaters? or no?

Lou Holtz who just like Pete said oh wow I didn't know . = Cheater? Mind you Lou had more players so more opportunity to find out.

If a guy robs a bank and another a liquor store are they both not thieves?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The seven players who took money- gifts- trips = cheaters? or no?

Lou Holtz who just like Pete said oh wow I didn't know . = Cheater? Mind you Lou had more players so more opportunity to find out.

If a guy robs a bank and another a liquor store are they both not thieves?

Both schools got caught not knowing what they "should have" known. They both had sanctions placed on them. So now we move on.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both schools got caught not knowing what they "should have" known. They both had sanctions placed on them. So now we move on.

Sounds good.

7478- When and if Golson comes back does this year(season) count against his eligibility? He's "technically" been redshirted and played a season and now off the team. If he's back with the irish next season is he a redshirt sophomore? A junior as far as ND is concerned since he's probably not in the best academic situation to be talking grad school?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good.

7478- When and if Golson comes back does this year(season) count against his eligibility? He's "technically" been redshirted and played a season and now off the team. If he's back with the irish next season is he a redshirt sophomore? A junior as far as ND is concerned since he's probably not in the best academic situation to be talking grad school?

Thats probably why a lot of people thought he would leave.