• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

red shirting

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want a little clarification. Do you have to not play an entire season in order to redshirt? Or can you have limited playing time and still qualify?

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my understanding if a person plays one down the redshirt option is burnt. But if you suffer a season ending injury and played less than 30% of the season you can apply for a medical redshirt after the fourth season.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From my understanding if a person plays one down the redshirt option is burnt. But if you suffer a season ending injury and played less than 30% of the season you can apply for a medical redshirt after the fourth season.

This.

Also ND technically doesn't redshirt.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Also ND technically doesn't redshirt.

technically they do all the time. Golson wasn't played his freshman year so he kept his four years. Now you can say that ND four years later has rules about what a player needs to earn or be given that 5th year but he was already redshirted . I have a ND fan friend who tells me the rule is you have to be accepted to a grad school but accepted doesnt mean you have to finish.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
technically they do all the time. Golson wasn't played his freshman year so he kept his four years. Now you can say that ND four years later has rules about what a player needs to earn or be given that 5th year but he was already redshirted . I have a ND fan friend who tells me the rule is you have to be accepted to a grad school but accepted doesnt mean you have to finish.

Two issues that SoCal won't give up 1). ND redshirts 2). Poopadookalis was a booster giving out improper benefits.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Technically they don't, because if the school doesn't grant his status then his eligibility is exhausted.

Definition of redshirt (n)
Bing Dictionary
red·shirt [ réd shùrt ]
college athlete: a college or university athlete who is kept out of competitions for one year in order to improve his or her skills and extend his or her period of eligibility

Last edited by a moderator:

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two issues that SoCal won't give up 1). ND redshirts 2). Poopadookalis was a booster giving out improper benefits.

That's because USC was hit because the owner of the Taverna was a former football player so when the recruits went there it was ruled a secondary violation "impermissible off campus contact with recruits" as only coaches are allowed to recruit.
So when you keep saying he was giving out improper benefits I just try to correct you.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Golson was held out last year just for shits n grins . When BK doesn't play some freshmen this year you think it's got anything to do with their education and not because of football reasons ? You're delusional if that's what you think.

I posted you a link explaining what goes on. It's not about what I think. Technically ND doesn't RS players, that's all I've been saying. I'm not sure why you're so against it.

...recently formalized some of its requirements for fifth-year approval.

For one, a student athlete must carry at least nine course credits. In the past the board had the discretion to approve a class schedule of any size. Nine credits is still less than the minimum of 12 credits necessary to be considered a full-time student at Notre Dame and qualify for on-campus living. The typical Notre Dame student carries 15 credits per semester.

Another change is that a fifth-year player’s classes no longer have to be connected to the student’s previous course of study. In the past, a business major or new business graduate would have to keep taking business courses. Now students have the flexibility to take classes they might not have been able to fit into their schedule before because of degree requirements.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted you a link explaining what goes on. It's not about what I think. Technically ND doesn't RS players, that's all I've been saying. I'm not sure why you're so against it.

Freshman player goes to ND. That player is held back and not played that first year so he can- strengthen up for college football- learn the playbook- wait because his position has two deep set so no use burning his year or any other football related reason. So come year two he still has four years left of playing eligibility. He has been redshirted. Now ND might say after his senior year we have plenty at your position and even though you did everything we asked the coach doesnt need you he'd rather have a freshman take your spot he can go to another school and use that year of eligibility because why? because he was redshirted that first year.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freshman player goes to ND. That player is held back and not played that first year so he can- strengthen up for college football- learn the playbook- wait because his position has two deep set so no use burning his year or any other football related reason. So come year two he still has four years left of playing eligibility. He has been redshirted. Now ND might say after his senior year we have plenty at your position and even though you did everything we asked the coach doesnt need you he'd rather have a freshman take your spot he can go to another school and use that year of eligibility because why? because he was redshirted that first year.

ND doesn't redshirt players.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND doesn't redshirt players.

Of course they don't- Coach Weis when asked about a couple players chances of being used their freshman year and using up that years eligibility. COACH WEIS: "At this point they’d be sitting at 7 and 8, you know, as far as the numbers go. So, you know, at this point they’d have to get into that top six before I’d be thinking in that direction"

Yeah sounds like Charlie was really thinking about grad school four years in future when making those decisions.

Irish eyes- "It appeared redshirt freshman Everette Golson had claimed the tile as Notre dames lead signal caller for 2012"
Scout.com: Golson Named Starting Quarterback

"Jerian Grant came to Notre Dame with an unselfish approach, willing to do whatever was best for the team. That meant redshirting as a freshman last season and showing faith in head coach Mike Brey."
"It was definitely real strong,” Grant, one of the most athletic guards to select Notre Dame in recent memory, said of the bond with Brey. “I had to trust [Brey] last year with him telling me this was a good year to redshirt and that next year I would have a real good opportunity."

I guess Charlie and Brey didn't get the memo or you're just delusional. Sounds like playing time and maturity are the reasons players aren't played their first year not what they are going to study four years later. .
Notre Dame redshirt freshman guard Jerian Grant becoming a star

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they don't- Coach Weis when asked about a couple players chances of being used their freshman year and using up that years eligibility. COACH WEIS: "At this point they’d be sitting at 7 and 8, you know, as far as the numbers go. So, you know, at this point they’d have to get into that top six before I’d be thinking in that direction"

Yeah sounds like Charlie was really thinking about grad school four years in future when making those decisions.

Irish eyes- "It appeared redshirt freshman Everette Golson had claimed the tile as Notre dames lead signal caller for 2012"
Scout.com: Golson Named Starting Quarterback

"Jerian Grant came to Notre Dame with an unselfish approach, willing to do whatever was best for the team. That meant redshirting as a freshman last season and showing faith in head coach Mike Brey."
"It was definitely real strong,” Grant, one of the most athletic guards to select Notre Dame in recent memory, said of the bond with Brey. “I had to trust [Brey] last year with him telling me this was a good year to redshirt and that next year I would have a real good opportunity."

I guess Charlie and Brey didn't get the memo or you're just delusional. Sounds like playing time and maturity are the reasons players aren't played their first year not what they are going to study four years later. .
Notre Dame redshirt freshman guard Jerian Grant becoming a star

AGAIN, there are academic requirements they have to fulfill or else their eligibility at ND is exhausted after 4 years regardless of whether they played their first year or not. TECHNICALLY they don't RS.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AGAIN, there are academic requirements they have to fulfill or else their eligibility at ND is exhausted after 4 years regardless of whether they played their first year or not. TECHNICALLY they don't RS.

Ummn no. If they played their first year it doesn't matter if they were going for double majors four years later. They are done. So unless the are redshirted that first year it's all moot. But nice try.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AGAIN, there are academic requirements they have to fulfill or else their eligibility at ND is exhausted after 4 years even if they sat out a season. TECHNICALLY they don't RS.
FIFM
Ummn no. If they played their first year it doesn't matter if they were going for double majors four years later. They are done. So unless the are redshirted that first year it's all moot. But nice try.

They appeal for a fifth year after their senior season, not after their freshman season. The process is based on academics, given that, by definition it's not RS.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFM

They appeal for a fifth year after their senior season, not after their freshman season. The process is based on academics, given that, by definition it's not RS.

“I had to trust [Brey] last year with him telling me this was a good year to redshirt and that next year I would have a real good opportunity."

What part of that quote tells you it (player getting held back) had anything to do with academics?

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“I had to trust [Brey] last year with him telling me this was a good year to redshirt and that next year I would have a real good opportunity."

What part of that quote tells you it (player getting held back) had anything to do with academics?

tech·ni·cal (tkn-kl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or derived from technique.

a. Having special skill or practical knowledge especially in a mechanical or scientific field: a technical adviser.

b. Used in or peculiar to a specific field or profession; specialized: technical terminology.

a. Belonging or relating to a particular subject: technical expertise.

b. Of, relating to, or involving the practical, mechanical, or industrial arts or the applied sciences: a technical school.

a. Abstract or theoretical: a technical analysis.

b. Of, relating to, or employing the methodology of science; scientific.

5. According to principle; formal rather than practical

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brey has always said he has to "dumb down" certain comments because some individuals have a hard time understanding certain concepts. My guess is that this is one of those instances. Calling it a "redshirt" allows people who don't understand the process to get the gist of what he is saying. Kind of like watching a Nobel prize winner in physics explaining his work to a high school physics class. You use terms they understand.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And USC doesnt cheat and hire crap, cheating coaches. And USC never had to give back hardware (like Heisman Trophies) and forfeit Natl Champtionship games. Blah blah blah ... from the blah blah blaher. Why do you even bother on this board Slo-Gal??? Your junk is old. You come here to bash and beat your chest when SC is doing 'something great' ... but DISAPPEAR when they suck and embarass the fanbase. Why is that????