• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Shirt Rules

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are the rules for red shirting. Namely should (and here's hoping) that Gardner goes the entire season healthy and Morris only gets minimal playing time, can he still technically get this season as a red shirt while being the backup?

hockeydad55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are the rules for red shirting. Namely should (and here's hoping) that Gardner goes the entire season healthy and Morris only gets minimal playing time, can he still technically get this season as a red shirt while being the backup?

Cannot play even one play. Morris has already burned the redshirt for this year. If you get hurt within first 4 games, however, you can petition the NCAA for medical redshirt. Devin Gardner and Blake Countess were granted medical redshirts, and it's a good bet that Drake Johnson will as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot play even one play. Morris has already burned the redshirt for this year. If you get hurt within first 4 games, however, you can petition the NCAA for medical redshirt. Devin Gardner and Blake Countess were granted medical redshirts, and it's a good bet that Drake Johnson will as well.

Not entirely true - see Gardner. The redshirt is burned as soon as you hit the field, however, if Morris were to get injured this year it's almost certain he could qualify for a medical redshirt; as would most of the freshman who played. Gardner got his redshirt after playing in like 3 games his freshman year.

hockeydad55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely true - see Gardner. The redshirt is burned as soon as you hit the field, however, if Morris were to get injured this year it's almost certain he could qualify for a medical redshirt; as would most of the freshman who played. Gardner got his redshirt after playing in like 3 games his freshman year.

He could petition for med redshirt only if he was hurt within the first four games, like I said in my post. After that, no way. He will not be granted a med redshirt if he plays after game 4 and then gets hurt. The year that Gardner got his med redshirt, his last game played was game 4.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was thinking of the Gardner case when I asked the question. I knew there was an injury involved in his case, but I wasn't sure if that was a necessity.

hockeydad55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of the Gardner case when I asked the question. I knew there was an injury involved in his case, but I wasn't sure if that was a necessity.

Yep, it's a necessity if he plays at all. And then it's not automatic. Can't play after the 4th game, and they must petition the NCAA for the med redshirt, which I'm sure includes supplying documentation about the injury. Countess last year, and likely Johnson this year, are straight-forward cases. From everything I have heard, Gardner's was not, though don't know all the details surrounding his injury that year. But he met the 4th game criteria, and eventually the NCAA granted the med redshirt.